Do all Satellite dishes have to look the same way?

Soldato
When I used to fit satellite dishes it used to amuse me when somebody would say "put it a bit higher so I'll get a better signal"

LOL, gotta love that :) moving further from the trees and adding some height with a pole (other than needing the pole to get LoS over the roof) should give line of sight over the trees.....for a while at least

Man of Honour
moving further from the trees and adding some height with a pole (other than needing the pole to get LoS over the roof) should give line of sight over the trees.....for a while at least

Definitely.
The OP should take some pics all around his house.
In fact he can give us his Google Earth co-ordinates.

Where my dish is situated I have a fantastic line of view for every satellite dish apart from 28E.

Associate
My dad was, and still is, into all that stuff (I wonder why? ;):eek:)

He used to have lots of cams, various different gold card programmers, 2-3 set top boxes and the like.
I heard/assume that this dreambox is an advancement of the cam system where you can emulate all of that stuff via software now? I always thought it should be like that!

Caporegime
My dad was, and still is, into all that stuff (I wonder why? ;):eek:)

He used to have lots of cams, various different gold card programmers, 2-3 set top boxes and the like.
I heard/assume that this dreambox is an advancement of the cam system where you can emulate all of that stuff via software now? I always thought it should be like that!

So hacked sky etc?

Man of Honour
In the hope that the OP has had his question answered, I've got one that's sort-of-similar. My intention is to install a dish for freesat soon, but the potential problem is that we have a bungalow in a large garden surrounded completely by large trees. Firstly, is there a quick way to find out which way the dish should point for freesat, and secondly, would there be a problem attaching the dish to one of the aforementioned trees, approx. 30m away from the house? (I'm thinking maybe length of cable?), which could then point out over open fields.

Soldato
So hacked sky etc?

thats my presumption, aswell as ability to pick up broadcasts intended for foreign satellite networks, extremely handy for footy etc due to none-GB countries having rights to air 3pm kickoff games :)

OP drill a hole or two in the tree and squirt some bleach in, shouldnt take too long before the tree becomes noticably dead.
Or get virgin - its the same quality as sky tbh, switched to virgin a few months ago from sky infact. Love the ondemand, and you can pickup another box off ebay to plug in for multiroom ;););) theres lots of different types of boxes on there toooo...........

Associate
to OP if it was me id be down garden centre and buying large amounts of weed killer that also affects tree's and shrubs and have a midnight raid on them once they have been killed off council will have no option but to remove them for saftey reason's

Soldato
To my knowledge Sky has always been unhackable.. unless something has changed?

I've never tried to do it but I've always thought it was hacked pretty much the day it came out. I believe the latest way is for one person with an active card to host it on a server, everyone else connects to it and they can all see the channels as if they owned the card themselves.

Associate
copper nails in the bottom of the tree will work but thats hardly a solution, cant you just chop a bit off as is anyone going to notice/complain ?

yes the channels are a lot in foregin but you can switch audio to english on a lot of them, its best for 3pm football as there is a uk blackout of games on tv at 3pm and some channels have showed the latest films that are only just out at the cinema in the uk. the amir khan fight was on too so saved 15 notes on that lol

neighbours think i'm strange for having this movable dish but who cares

Soldato
I've never tried to do it but I've always thought it was hacked pretty much the day it came out. I believe the latest way is for one person with an active card to host it on a server, everyone else connects to it and they can all see the channels as if they owned the card themselves.

When I say hackable I mean to gain total independent control over what you watch locally. Sure anyone could start a stream via the net but it would only be from a single sky channel, unless a big group of people got together.

Believe that the cards are sent out and programmed to be match every unique sky box and done so via encryption, and no one has managed to break that encryption.. makes for a very good protection system. Unlike NTL now Virgin.. which I believe are finally waking up, them morons!

Associate
cards arent linked to the skybox, when we finished uni earlier this year our flatmate took our sky card back to his home skybox till the subscription ran out as we had movies + sports which his mum didnt.

but yeh it sucks that they have to all face that direction, means our new uni house has to have cable cos one location has trees and the other the landlord wont have a skydish on. so we're on virgin this year, the virgin box broke 30minutes after installation, 1 month to fix it, gotta be a record right? i hate virgin :(

Back
Top Bottom