What computer upgrade has made you go WOW?

Permabanned
Speedtest reports the Kb/s, downloads will probably tell you the KB/s (Kb is kilobits, KB is kilobytes, there are 8 kilobits to a kilobyte). So 60 * 8 = 480 which is pretty close to your 500Kb/s. Like when you pay for "8Mb" broadband, you'd actually get a maximum of 1MB/s.

It's still a slow speed though, unless you're only paying for 500Kb (although you can't even get that now can you?).

You do if you're 7km from the nearest exchange. Trust me :(

Soldato
I went from a P4 1.6Ghz / 5800 GFZ to an AMD FX53 (iirc) with two cards in (6800GT's) SLi, one of the first (again iirc) motherboards to get it, K8NXP-SLi? Great board, and its still in use today!

I put it all in the Coolermaster Blue door case, the noise was so loud but the system was awesome.

I mainly put it down to the CPU / Memory bandwidth, then the 2x6800 for GFX but they never really impressed me as much as I thought they would.

Hmmm.

Soldato
Went from a 3Ghz P4 with 1Gb ram / Radeon 9800 pro connected to a 15" Sony tft to a 2.8 Ghz C2D / 4Gb 24" iMac.

Impressed would be an understatement at the transition.

It was like going from the stone age to the space age.

Last edited:
Soldato
32K?
Lol, I used to remote program systems at 1200Bps.

<oldmanvoice>1200BPS? I remember the days of 960BPS, you didn't need any faster than that or it would melt your brains</oldmanvoice>

I've done SSH and usenet sessions over a painful 9600BPS back in the day when I first got a mobile phone ('98-'99ish), and was on the Orange Everyday 50. Could download e-mails and stuff using up some of my 50 free minutes :D

Associate
Not an upgrade however i remember downloading my first MP3 file and was well impressed by the sound quality. Old guy at work told me it would never catch on!!

Soldato
Overclocking my old E2140 to 3GHz from 1.6GHz. Suddenly new games became playable.

Edit: Oh also pretty much all of my graphics card upgrades, though they've all been pretty big leaps.

Edit again: Actually the CPU that I had before my E2140 was a 1.1GHz Tualatin-256 Celeron. So... yeah. Big leaps all around.

Last edited:
Soldato
Going from a 3.4 Pentium 4 to a (OCd) 3.6 Phenom II x3.

Until then I thought having to wait several minutes to actually start a program was normal.

To a lesser extend going from a standard 7200RPM mechanical HD to an SSD.

Soldato
Can't remember what the vid. card was, but I had Quake & I upgraded my card. Well, I shot the BFG & the BFG ball light up the wall. I shot it down a hall way & both walls showed the green from the ball as it went forward.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The first Voodoo card. Very expensive, still needed my old card to do 2D, supported by almost nothing at the time. It had only just been released.

The driver disc contained a demo of a tower. I watched it. Then I watched it again. Then I phoned a friend and gibbered at him about it. He came round. He watched the demo. He went straight to the shop and bought a Voodoo card himself. I don't think he even asked how much it cost.

Far and away the most spectacular upgrade I've ever had.

EDIT: I've thought back a bit further and got another possible candidate. From ZX-81 to 48K Spectrum. I spent 6 weeks picking runner beans full time to buy that and it was worth it.

Last edited:
Soldato
few days ago, upgraded from a nvidia Geforce 9800GT to a radeon 5770, and well, wow, amazing difference in temps, speeds, and max settings on every game i play now :D

Soldato
If you've been knocking around PC's and home computers for far too many years, there are numerous moments of course. First GFX upgrade (Diamond Stealth 3400 - 4MB VRAM :D), first 3D card (Orchid Righteous), dial up to broadband amongst others.

But the biggest for me has to be HDD to SSD. That's a proper wow moment.

Soldato
Back in the day my upgrade from a GeForce 2 MX440 fo a GeForce 4 Ti4600 was pretty bloody impressive (Then when the TI4600 died I got a Radeon 9800Pro and that was a step up too)

More recently, my upgrade from an athlon 64 @ 2.6GHz to this system with the Core2Duo @ 3.0 (when I got it) was an awesome difference :)

Oh and even further back in the day was my first 3D graphics card - the Matrox Mistique (was that 3DFX?) :) bundled with Mechwarrior 2 to show off the 3D graphics!! LOL Had months of fun with that game lol

Back
Top Bottom