Intel plans to deliberately limit Sandy Bridge overclocking

Caporegime
As said, we'll have to see closer to release what actually happens. One clock generator doesn't mean you can't overclock, the cpu isn't going to run the same speed as the USB bus anyway, meaning a single clock generator is likely more about keeping everything in sync and simple, and saving power aswell. Clearly the chipset will be using the clock generator with lots of various dividers for various different devices, if theres dividers, theres likely to be ways to overclock. Though it could be far more difficult, as if the divider has to change for everything to keep it in spec, there might be a limited range of clockspeeds that will keep everything in spec with new dividers.

It likely is a way to get overclockers to pay more for overclocking chips, as the numbers of home users who buy a £100 chip and overclock it beyond a £300 chip in performance, well, they'll think loses them money. Though most people would just buy the £100 chip anyway even if they couldn't overclock.

I can't remember what the plan is anyway, is Sandy bridge launching as all higher end chips to start with, or a whole range? Few companies like bringing out a whole new range to undercut and obsolete millions of chips in the channel waiting to be sold. Thing is Bulldozer's will be the same, but AMD will be aiming at probably £150-300 for their Bulldozer "high end" chips, while Intel aim for £300-1000 for their "high end" chips.

Associate
I though this intel mentality was behind us after the awesomeness of the core2duo but apparently not.

Guess its time for AMD to shine once again.

I dont overclock because I enjoy overclocking, I overclock to get the most bang out of every buck I spend. So I guess this Intel move is targeted at people like me.

Also Im sure motherboard manufacturers will find ways to overclock the chip anyway.

Soldato
Looks like my i5 will be like people's Q6600 to use to skip a generation. That is, unless AMD cough up something which is irresistible. :)

Associate
I remember a similar thing about the nehalem. If this is the case i will switch back to AMD.
People will not pay £700, for a top end chip when they can get a competitor at 1/4 of the price and overclock.

I used to love their chips, AMD K2-500 and Athlon series were great.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
With prices like this on one of there mainstream chips, who's going to be able to afoird a chip that has OC abilities lol.

gulftown is not mainstream by any stretch of the imagination
i7 is considered enthusiast
i5 is mainstream
i3 is entry level

from what i have seen on the internet chinese whispers its looking like sandy bridge will be released in its mainstream form first. certainly suggests as much from the boards unveiled at computex

Back
Top Bottom