Intel plans to deliberately limit Sandy Bridge overclocking

Permabanned
it's like intel are trying to throw ailing-micro-devices a bone here, i won't upgrade now for a few years, i'll stay on lga1366 and i'll bet by the time i do a proper upgrade again, intel will have gone through this phase and back out the other end, if not, i'll either AMD it or just get something that doesn't need to be overclocked.

Soldato
A bad move if its true. Although a lot of people dont care about overclocking, the few % that will id say are more likely to switch to amd.

Well the thing is although it will only affect a very small number of people that small number of people are very vocal on the subject and so would advise less informed friends and family members on what's the best to buy.

Soldato
Maybe they will only do this with their lower end chips? Intel know that people overclock, even if it is a minority. And didn't we all suspect that i7s would be impossible to overclock? And Intel gave us what is quite simply an excellent chip to overclock. Something that goes from 2.66GHz stock to 4GHz isn't right :p

We will have to wait and see what actually happens when more is announced :)

Soldato
One thought is they are trying to differentiate between their mainstream and performance platforms and this will only affect the mainstream. The other is they've seen what the i7 920 has done to sales of the higher end and this is a way to make enthusiasts pay for their performance...

Associate
This isn't going to be the same story as the i5's//i7's. There is now only ONE clock generator for the USB, SATA, PCI, PCI-E, Uncore, Memory etc... And the multi's will be locked. They are most likely goign to release CPU's with unlocked multi's for overclockers, for a premium price.

Soldato
This isn't going to be the same story as the i5's//i7's. There is now only ONE clock generator for the USB, SATA, PCI, PCI-E, Uncore, Memory etc... And the multi's will be locked. They are most likely goign to release CPU's with unlocked multi's for overclockers, for a premium price.

Well true. However, they might still change things. Nothing is set in stone until it happens eh ;)

Do notice is says:

upcoming mainstream LGA1155 Sandy Bridge CPUs

Soldato
Actually, go and watch the YouTube video that was posted with it.

At 3:04 in, it says at the bottom

Greater range than SNB mainstream expected due to PEG/DMI ratio mechanism

This is on the page titled "Sandy Bridge E Processor + Patsburg PCH" - Could the "E" stand for Extreme?

The page that says only 2-3% overclock is "Sandy Bridge Processor + Cougar Point PCH

Man of Honour
No point getting worked up IMO until the chips actually get released and we see if mobo manufacturers have come up with a workaround. Intel has had a goal of limiting overclocking for some time but aside from locking the multiplier in the late 90s not a lot has actually changed.

Back
Top Bottom