Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
So does this mean you are coming to Glentress :D

:o Forgot i posted that! I would love to although not sure how i could get there :( Might not be getting a bike by then though i think it would be seen as a little cheeky for my friend to use his massive discount in the first couple of weeks of starting work :p

Edit, thats specialized looks pretty nice. Seems most hardtails of that price range have 100mm forks now? Would i notice much difference over the 120mm i used to have?
Edit2, i see people mentioning insurance quite a bit regarding stolen bikes. Is this usually home insurance or a seperate bike insurance?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Edit, thats specialized looks pretty nice. Seems most hardtails of that price range have 100mm forks now? Would i notice much difference over the 120mm i used to have?
Edit2, i see people mentioning insurance quite a bit regarding stolen bikes. Is this usually home insurance or a seperate bike insurance?

Going to depend on the riding you do I guess. Some people can get there bikes covered under home insurance, but mine only covers bikes to a maximum of £1500 so I have to use a separate insurer just for the blooming bike!

Last edited:
Associate
Not reported it to the police as I doubt they could not really help too much. Not sure on insurance yet, I will have a look later.

You'll need to report it to the police, to get an incident number, which you can then give your insurance company to claim off

So, Spec me a £100 bike to ride to work and back because thats all I can afford really.

In York we have a bike rescue project, which basically takes in knackered bikes, does them up and sells them on for the price of sorting them out (nonprofit organisation, they're trying to cut down how much goes to Landfill)... Does Derby not have something similar?

Soldato
You'll need to report it to the police, to get an incident number, which you can then give your insurance company to claim off

In York we have a bike rescue project, which basically takes in knackered bikes, does them up and sells them on for the price of sorting them out (nonprofit organisation, they're trying to cut down how much goes to Landfill)... Does Derby not have something similar?

I will sort out the Police later. Best to really.

As for the Bike rescue... I have know idea. I shall look into it.:)

Associate
Right chaps... I'm after a bit of helmet advice please :)

Last week I got a 661 Strike in Medium, when it turned up I wore it around the house to check the fit and it's VERY snug, too snug I thought. It just fits over my ears and the cheek pads make me look like someone is pushing my face from either side (kinda like how Jimmy Carr looks :p) - it also starts to give me a pressure headache after 15 minutes. There is no play in the helmet at all, no matter how much I shake my noggin.

I decided to order the 661 Evolution in Large as I didn't think the Strike in Medium was the correct fit, anyway it turned up today and I think it may be too big :confused:. It glides over my ears with ease when putting it on, taking it off requires a bit of effort though. The cheek pads touch my cheeks and compress them slightly - no Jimmy Carr effect this time and no pressure headaches either! Fantastic you might think but if I shake my head side to side the helmet will move, not so much it spins out of line but it will move a couple of mm side to side and the same goes if I shake my head up and down, some slight movement occurs.

I've only managed to find one full-face helmet fitting guide and it says it should fit like a shoe does with no play/slack in it. The problem here is that my head is exactly 58cm, the upper limit of the Medium and the lower limit of the Large but I really don't think I'd be able to wear the medium without a lot of discomfort, especially once I work up a sweat (doesn't take much these days :p)

This being my first full face helmet I wanted to ask you lot, does the Large sound too big or is it OK? It doesn't feel like it's going to fly off my face by any means but it's not as "secure" as the Medium, then again I really don't think I'd need the chinstrap on the Medium as my head will come off before it leaves my head.

Anyway, helmet-newb question over - any help is appreciated chaps :)

Cheers!

Soldato
The padding will compress a bit with time..

It might just be the case that 661s don't fit you, see if you can try on another brand in a shop somewhere.

Associate
In York we have a bike rescue project, which basically takes in knackered bikes, does them up and sells them on for the price of sorting them out (nonprofit organisation, they're trying to cut down how much goes to Landfill)... Does Derby not have something similar?[/QUOTE]

Non Profit ! my ass, I've been there and was looking for a small step through bike for my mum and the old bird there was trying to sell me a bike older than me that looked rubbish, but it had a geared hub and a leather saddle bag so it was worth £180 ! in her mind, I laughed at her and had a poke around.

She then tried to sell it to a student who came in looking to spend no more than £50, she told he she'd be better getting some cheapo ADSA bike to go to uni on.

I asked them if they had anything a little cheaper and they said nothing under £100, most rubbish bikes get stripped by them and anything they can reuse they will, but most frames etc go for scrap.

Soldato
Nice vid R0B. I'm about 10 miles away from cannock when at uni so i might have to give it a visit. Although riding there and back then going on trails might be a bit tough :( Is there a decent mix of difficulty stuff there?

Soldato
Nice vid R0B. I'm about 10 miles away from cannock when at uni so i might have to give it a visit. Although riding there and back then going on trails might be a bit tough :( Is there a decent mix of difficulty stuff there?

Follow the Dog is pretty tame though some of it can be tricky as its narrow. The Monkey trail is quite a bit more challenging but still pretty tame in comparison with other trail centres such as CyB so I'm told. I'm hoping to go CyB next month as I'm on holiday over that way and will try out the Dragons Back.

Soldato
Cheers ROB. It's excellent up there, I love it. Haven't visited Glentress as yet, think that might be my next step up.

What camera/recorder are you using to capture these videos?

I was using one of the little Spy Keychain cameras you can get from eBay for about a tenner. There was a big thread in the "General" section about them iirc. Mounted on top of my Bell Alchera lid. I reckon I could position the angle of it slightly better next time so its not pointing down so much towards the front wheel area. They will record about an hours worth of footage onto a micro SD card.

Soldato
2011 Five Ten lineup

4830566644_8e1d42b4f8_o.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom