Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Well my FreeNAS has gone belly up. Had to reinstall and now its having none of it. Various errors during the loadup of FreeNAS on the USB stick.

Do I need any leads to connect a SATA DVD drive to the server? Might borrow a friends and burn FreeNAS onto a disk and then install from within the server.

Would I just need a SATA cable and standard molex power cable or?

Associate
Well my FreeNAS has gone belly up. Had to reinstall and now its having none of it. Various errors during the loadup of FreeNAS on the USB stick.

Do I need any leads to connect a SATA DVD drive to the server? Might borrow a friends and burn FreeNAS onto a disk and then install from within the server.

Would I just need a SATA cable and standard molex power cable or?

It needs to be >45CM, that's about it, and also Molex > SATA.

Associate
Eeek, I am finiding it impossible to install the AHCI drivers in WHS.

I have tried doing it with a USB stick, and when I ask them be installed at initial setup of WHS it says it can not boot the floppy, then when I try and do it via f6 it works to start with and then a moment later wants to find the drivers on the windows install disk and they are not there.

I have also tried installing WHS with IDE settings and then installing the AHCI drivers later and that fails too.

Any help please?

Associate
HELP PLEASE!!!

I have the original 160gb disk in the top bay connected to the onboard SATA port, loaded with WinXP Pro SP3, fully updated.
I have two new Samsung 2T F4's in Raid1 (setup in BIOS) in the first two bays.

The problem is that if I transfer files to the original drive in the top bay, I get ~30mb/s, if I transfer files to the Raid1 array, I get 2.6mb/s??

Anyone got any ideas as to why this is??

Thanks!

Soldato
HELP PLEASE!!!

I have the original 160gb disk in the top bay connected to the onboard SATA port, loaded with WinXP Pro SP3, fully updated.
I have two new Samsung 2T F4's in Raid1 (setup in BIOS) in the first two bays.

The problem is that if I transfer files to the original drive in the top bay, I get ~30mb/s, if I transfer files to the Raid1 array, I get 2.6mb/s??

Anyone got any ideas as to why this is??

Thanks!

Running the latest drivers?
Can you run CrystalDiskMark benchmarks? Break the array and benchmark the F4's individually as well.

Associate

I have tried doing it with a USB stick, and when I ask them be installed at initial setup of WHS it says it can not boot the floppy, then when I try and do it via f6 it works to start with and then a moment later wants to find the drivers on the windows install disk and they are not there.

I have also tried installing WHS with IDE settings and then installing the AHCI drivers later and that fails too.

Any help please?

I've found there's not much difference with AHCI or IDE on mine, not sure why but IDE appears to be more faster for me! I managed to do a unattended WHS install from USB with AHCI, Graphics and SMBus drivers slipstreamed into the installation worked a treat!

Associate
Running the latest drivers?
Can you run CrystalDiskMark benchmarks? Break the array and benchmark the F4's individually as well.

As far as I know, I've got the correct and latest drivers. They're from the AMD website, SB710 chipset, RAID/AHCI WinXP.

These are the results so far, as installed in the Server. Let me know if I need to break the array and do the disks separately.

CrystalMark_Server_CurrentSetup.jpg

Thanks!

Andy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok, write speeds are a bit low on the RAID array, can you enable write caching and retest? It should be under Device Manager -> Disk Drives -> Policies.

If it's still low, break the array and test the F4's individually.

Soldato

Any help please?

What I had to do was set the RAID to IDE mode, have the disk in the hot/cold bay and do an install of WHS. Then move the disk over to use the CD/DVD SATA port and set the RAID to AHCI/RAID. boot up and then install the drivers. After the install you can then move the disk back to the hot/cold bay.

Associate
I managed to find apparently the last batch in the UK which arrived and sold out all 60 units in a day, luckily managed to get an order in yesterday afternoon and it arrived this morning £239 minus the cashback, more than some people paid but at least I got one!

Soldato
Yeah, apparently its being EOL'd to be relaunched with a 250gb HDD and a price hike :(

Personally I wished they'd supplied with NO HDD and with more memory and kept the price the same. A 160 or 250gb HDD is no use except as a door stop anyway!

Back
Top Bottom