Incredible Value or what?

Aod

Aod

Soldato
OP
270's support:
MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, Enhanced 3DNow!, NX bit, AMD64

no AMD-V i'm afraid :(

Opterons didn't have AMD-V support until two generations later, with the 1200-series.

Last edited:

Aod

Aod

Soldato
OP
i was pondering using one for a VMware workstation, but it'll still work without AMD-V... just not quite as well.

Associate
I've been reading up (only used intel for god know how long) and it appears than AMDs implementation of the 64bit instruction set means you can run 64bit guest OSes within esx even without amd-v. However for intel, you need to have VT (which I currently lack on my lab machine).

Bugger, this evening may have just got expensive!

Aod

Aod

Soldato
OP
I've been reading up (only used intel for god know how long) and it appears than AMDs implementation of the 64bit instruction set means you can run 64bit guest OSes within esx even without amd-v. However for intel, you need to have VT (which I currently lack on my lab machine).

Bugger, this evening may have just got expensive!

i think mine just did too :eek:

seeing as the link i posted (and self-reported) was not removed, i'm going to go ahead and pop it into the opening post.

<edit>
yeap, my evening just got expensive. made the seller an offer for £104 (£110 shipped) and the seller accepted.

Last edited:
Soldato
i think mine just did too :eek:

seeing as the link i posted (and self-reported) was not removed, i'm going to go ahead and pop it into the opening post.

<edit>
yeap, my evening just got expensive. made the seller an offer for £104 (£110 shipped) and the seller accepted.

Good price...I just snagged a Poweredge 1850 with 1 x dual core Xeon for £30 and it's about 20 miles away for pickup. Can't buy a rack mount case for that amount and it has 1.5 gig, 36 gig SCI drive etc. If it's a bit power hungry it doesn't matter as the amount I saved will offset it...

Aod

Aod

Soldato
OP
Good price...I just snagged a Poweredge 1850 with 1 x dual core Xeon for £30 and it's about 20 miles away for pickup. Can't buy a rack mount case for that amount and it has 1.5 gig, 36 gig SCI drive etc. If it's a bit power hungry it doesn't matter as the amount I saved will offset it...

nice!

remember, Ikea LACK tables and coffee-tables are exactly 19 inches wide and accommodate rackmount hardware very comfortably.

Soldato
strange, I was just reading that yesterday! I have a cheap 10/100 rack mounted switch already. Although, I am incredibly tempted to rack mount it in my music setup instead of a laptop for 4-core lovelyness....

Aod

Aod

Soldato
OP
Server Arrived today

unfortunately the seller put the labels on the wrong side of the box, so the front of the server was facing down in shipping, and it's badly damaged the retention flanges at the front.

if you buy one ask the seller to remove them during shipping.

otherwise, the thing's ship-shape and tickety-boo.

the broadcom gigabit ethernet controllers are BCM5721 for those intending to use these with ESX/ESXi, google says that this chipset works with ESX/ESXi

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think those cpus support virtualization, I bought a server last year similar in spec to that but with 2x 285 Opterons and realised they didn't support it. Hyper-v wouldn't install, Virtualbox would but would only run in 32-bit mode and wasn't very efficient with the cpu utilization.

Also don't under estimate how loud those 1U servers can be ;)

MW

Aod

Aod

Soldato
OP
I don't think those cpus support virtualization, I bought a server last year similar in spec to that but with 2x 285 Opterons and realised they didn't support it. Hyper-v wouldn't install, Virtualbox would but would only run in 32-bit mode and wasn't very efficient with the cpu utilization.

Also don't under estimate how loud those 1U servers can be ;)

MW
Yeap, the Opteron 270's don't support virtualisation.
that said, according to eksmen, VMware ESX can support 64-bit guests on AMD-64 CPU's even if they don't have AMD-V due to AMD's 64-bit instruction set.
at Any rate, i hadn't intended to try MS Hyper-V on it.

It sounds like a turbojet on afterburners when first turned on but after it posts it quietens down significantly. the fans are PWM.

Any idea if it will take non ecc memory?

none whatsoever i'm afraid. i don't have any regular DDR to test - if i see some on the cheap in CEX i'll buy it and let you know.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
No worries :) Just wondered.
As just noted, as it doesn't fully support virtualisation I may pass as it would be for ESXi and I want to run Server 2008r2 which is 64bit only.

Associate
Hi

Just bought one of those after reading this tread
Work in IT but never touched a server (how sad is that)

Wanted one to learn VMware stuff...so bought one and it arrived yesterday
Broke a bit of plastic taking the cover off, besides that it was in tip top condition, completely clean.

Have no scsi drives. Stuck a 4GB usb key in the front port, stuck a external DVD in the back with the CD for ESX 4.1 in it

Powered it up...Very load at the start... quietened down a bit after a few minutes...it installed esx no problems :)

Made a VM of XP last night...(very late night, wife is very forgiving)

took me ages to realize that you need to turn off firewall to RDP to VM as wanted to use that instead of the Console.

Will see if I can install a 64 bit OS later today. also will get a lead from NO COMPETITOR HINTING, NO MATTER HOW DISGUISED! to convert power lead for a SATA drive and stick that in

SO far delighted about this...was a bit of a hit and miss but happy I saw the tread
Question regarding above posts...peopel who asked about "I don't think those cpus support virtualization". Is that just for 64 bit O/S? I will see what happens later today when I try one

Regards

Associate
Yeap, the Opteron 270's don't support virtualisation.
that said, according to eksmen, VMware ESX can support 64-bit guests on AMD-64 CPU's even if they don't have AMD-V due to AMD's 64-bit instruction set.
at Any rate, i hadn't intended to try MS Hyper-V on it.

It sounds like a turbojet on afterburners when first turned on but after it posts it quietens down significantly. the fans are PWM.

none whatsoever i'm afraid. i don't have any regular DDR to test - if i see some on the cheap in CEX i'll buy it and let you know.

I've not run an AMD virtual box, so I can't say I've done it. But reading about on the net suggests it is possible with ESXi.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...nguage=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1003945

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/207844

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1901

Associate
Just a FYI

Already installed a 32 bit XP VM
modified a caddy to take SATA drive, I am very ham fisted but it works!

Just installed a 64 bit OS (win7 64) into ESX server and both are running grand..
Will see what happens when I pop in a 2008 64 bit server later tonight but so far the AMD-64 CPU's are working nicely with 64 bit O/S

Regards

Back
Top Bottom