Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Permabanned
Just to expand on thwe HTPC point there are a few people who have converted the microserver into a HTPC by adding a better graphics card and using a USB sound card and i'd heard that it works a treat for them playing HD content.

I have done this, added a £27 ATI card that handles the video and sound and I'm now running it as a XBMC box that is also running SABNZB and it has played everything I have thrown at it.

No problems at all and well happy with it, just need a decent remote!

Soldato
added a status lcd to mine
2011-06-23-23.10.00.jpg

I want! what make is that?

Last edited:
Associate
thanks DIABLO, it' looks good, but im hesitant to do it because, i know that drive cover it's flimsy as hell, and don't like it, in fact I was thinking of getting a DVD drive just to get rid of the flimsy plate.

Maybe I could source a metal blanking plate and somhow dremel out the rectangle and attach the lcd on there.

Associate
Lol....i iz relaxxxxxed. :)

Keep us posted please, intrigued by this, as i was trying to free up ours at work to test it at home.

Update as promised...

1. Exchange onboard, will be configured with a real domain, just changed the mx record with my ISP. Right now I tested the local domain, I am able to connect/send/receive emails from outlook & owa. No delay, works fine.
2. I put Trend Worry-Free with Exchange plugin in a full real time mode.
3. Kiwi Syslog & Netflow Analyzer running in the background
4. One shared folder

Server is happy to handle all these things, cpu usage - 0-2% and 30-50% for a while every 1 minute, 3GB of memory free (out of 8GB)

Should be alright. Will test exchange with a real domain, but should be alright I guess

Last edited:
Soldato
Just bought a couple of these, added 4gb Ram to each, 4x 2tb (RaidZ1) and 1x 500gb in the ODD bay.

Running FreeNAS 8.0 on both off 4gb USB Sticks. Just transferring stuff on now, really impressed with the well thought out hardware, design and great price.

Associate
Takes 1 minute with a jewellers screwdriver. Just push in the slot and pull the wire out.

cool thanks, it sounds great can't wait to try it out.

I've just got my microserver and waiitng for some ram to install whs2011 on, I have been reading the silentpcreview article on this, great 7 page article on how to get this to quieten down.

He does say that the PSU does make a bit of noise, and there wasn't really much he could do with it. Does the PSU make much noise? I saw a silent 200w psu which is the same size as the ones used for the microserver, only thing is it uses an external brick power pack like you have in laptops, but that doesn't bother me at all, it means that heat will be expelled by the brick instead which means the PSU (and the hard drive next to it) will be a lot cooler.

200w external brick fanless http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/Models/Accessory/PC62.html
120w all internal fanless http://www.fspgroupusa.com/fsp12050gnf-fanless/p/483.html
Although that's going to be something I'll attempt later on. Maybe the current psu will work fine with lots of air slots cut in and fan removed.

Does anyone know if the 120w version will work with the microserver with 4 hard drives loaded up?

Last edited:
Associate
I have done this, added a £27 ATI card that handles the video and sound and I'm now running it as a XBMC box that is also running SABNZB and it has played everything I have thrown at it.

No problems at all and well happy with it, just need a decent remote!

which card have you added mate?

Back
Top Bottom