Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Is it in the same room as your TV? Just use W7 and run XBMC on it, put in a cheap ATI low profile card and then connect it with HDMI.

Sorted.

I have mine as the above, filesharing, download box, burning DVDs when I need them box, does not break a sweat running a 30GB+ 1080p mkv, this is while downloading at 6.2MB/sec!

Which post is that replying to, Harry?

Associate
Not sure exactly what everyone else used, but I stuck in a cheapo version of This and it works very well, but I'm going to be trying to get a 2nd HDD installed up there so will be changing that soon.

Hi Darryn,
Can I ask if this fits into the existing case with the blanking plate on? I'm not going to mount a second drive and I want something simple and cheap.

Thanks,

Associate
anyone know what's the best way to stream movies off the microsever onto the TV set without connecting it directly?

I would like some sort of media hub that can connect to WHS2011 and access certain folders on it. I don't want to display from the WHS2011 directly becaause it will use the up the system resources on it.

Look for less than £150 kit, less than £100 preferred.

Thanks

Associate
XBMC will do the job. You can run it on devices like the Apple TV.

thanks, looks like I can really cut down on cost using xbmc..

Is there any real advantage of using an appletv? what would happen if I installed xbmc onto an original xbox, which is better?

I'm not really an apple fanboy, I have an iphone and that's about it.

Soldato
anyone know what's the best way to stream movies off the microsever onto the TV set without connecting it directly?

I would like some sort of media hub that can connect to WHS2011 and access certain folders on it. I don't want to display from the WHS2011 directly becaause it will use the up the system resources on it.

Look for less than £150 kit, less than £100 preferred.

Thanks

The WDTV Live would do this, i havent got one, but it shouldnt have a problem streaming directly off the Microserver. I myself will be using a Macmini to give me a full webbrowser etc, im just waiting for the refresh which is due in the next 2-3weeks.

Hi Darryn,
Can I ask if this fits into the existing case with the blanking plate on? I'm not going to mount a second drive and I want something simple and cheap.

Thanks,

Yup, my current setup mounts deeper inside the case, meaning i havent removed the blanking plate or the internal metal snap-off blanking plate.

Associate
Has anyone fitted a Nvidia 210 in one of these for Linux xbmc and if so whats the performance like?

I have fitted a 5450 and its perfect in windows. Just would like to know if any other card would be better supported and perform better for Linux than the 5450?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have installed a 210 under 10.4 ubuntu and I didnt have any issues with XBMC playing 1080p content, though I have moved the card to a windows box now as my plans for HTPC changed

Kimbie

Soldato
thanks, looks like I can really cut down on cost using xbmc..

I dont understand how you can "save" on cost by not using what you already have, and purchasing an £80 device. An HD5450 is £25 and will offload all decoding to the GPU when using XBMC, so "using up" system resources isnt an issue.

Saying that, I am buying an ATV2 for this exact purpose, its a sleek solution :p

Back
Top Bottom