• Keep the ban on CP

Votes: 171 58.8%
  • Bring back CP

Votes: 120 41.2%

• Total voters
Soldato

Rubbish.
This is the way they do it over in the US
Person kills someone goes to jail but does NOT go to court for 4-8 years even though the case was ready in 10 months.

The reason they do this is they hope people forget about it so they may get less prison time.
This is what eats the money. There was a program on BBC 1 about it not so long ago.

Permabanned
Rubbish.
This is the way they do it over in the US
Person kills someone goes to jail but does NOT go to court for 4-8 years even though the case was ready in 10 months.

The reason they do this is they hope people forget about it so they may get less prison time.
This is what eats the money. There was a program on BBC 1 about it not so long ago.

That was Louis Theroux and wasn't about death row. But about the prison system in general. Miami Mega Prison.

Soldato
I still maintain it's only for cases which have no defence. for example, peado gets busted, look on pc, video of him hanging out of somone's baby, clearly identifiable that's who it is, skip trial, do not pass go, do not collect appeal forms, into chamber, injection administered, body given to family to do with what they please. badabing badaboom.

Associate
But it isn't. As is consistently proven in countries with the death penalty. People continue to commit the crimes.

Ah wasnt aware of this. Sharia law it is!! But seriously, have any countries tried anything that's worked really well?

How do you work out that it's cheaper?

Ah been answered - but yes

cost of keeping people in prison for life > cost of death penalty

based on my awesome powers of assumption! :p:p

Permabanned
That's the program and he did have death row on it. It's there system that sucks not the death sentence.

Anyway I would use just a gun controlled by a computer cheap as chips ;)

He had one or two on it that were facing the death penalty. It's so much more expensive to keep someone on death row because they don't want to execute an innocent man. Which is why they can sit on death row for years and people are sometimes exonerated. It's less expensive to do that, than to go steam rolling in, execute an innocent man, then face a lawsuit for millions of dollars from family or relatives after it comes to light they've executed an innocent man.

It would be no different if the death penalty was brought back here. We'd end up with men sitting on death row with years of court room battles to determine his guilt or innocence. And then it could turn out he's innocent. Money spunked and/or a dead man. People already complain about the bill from legal aid and the cost of keeping lifers. Now imagine the cost of keeping a person on death row and his legal aid on top of lifers, their legal aid and short sentences and their legal aid. Or the tax payers money that would be doled out in the event of the execution of an innocent man.

Last edited:
Associate
National Service doesn't have to be in the military. In Finland you can do nursing, ambulance service, charity work, etc. Same in Germany, and doubtless other countries with national service.
True enough. I'd recently read about what a failure military style boot camps have been in New Zealand, so that was the first sort of thing to come to mind.

Soldato
I would quite happily support capital punishment for an offence that would have otherwise put a crim in prison for a third time.

This. I cannot see the point in supporting repeat offenders by basically giving them a lovely warm hotel with free food and no bills everytime they commit a crime at the expense of any normal member of society.

Caporegime
no it wouldn't there are people having life sentences in America for stealing cookies or a couple of video tapes under (a much harsher version, one that requires lots of violence in the first 2 crimes) that rule.

all it would lead to is mass up roar when you start killing lots of people for trivial crimes.

Plus if polled the judges i think you find they wouldn't support it either.

Don
really?

****ing hell so 3 high value thefts? 3 shaving foam pies on Rupert Murdoch should equal death?
Yes, but the thing is it would result in people not doing 3 shaving foam pies. Three thefts fair enough. Has anyone here on OcUK ever been locked up 3 times?

I don't know a single person that's been locked up more than once. Being found guilty of three crimes serious enough to get yourself locked up in the UK (not the US where they lock you up for anything) isn't just carelessness, it's a clear sign of someone who doesn't give a stuff about anyone else so why should we put up with persistent criminal behaviour and it's associated impacts on the lives of innocent members of the public and the costs it brings to society to deal with career criminals and to repair the damage they do. All this talk of morality misses the point that it is immoral to continually release people back into the community to reoffend.

Caporegime
Yes, but the thing is it would result in people not doing 3 shaving foam pies. Three thefts fair enough. Has anyone here on OcUK ever been locked up 3 times?

I don't know a single person that's been locked up more than once. Being found guilty of three crimes serious enough to get yourself locked up in the UK (not the US where they lock you up for anything) isn't just carelessness, it's a clear sign of someone who doesn't give a stuff about anyone else so why should we put up with persistent criminal behaviour and it's associated impacts on the lives of innocent members of the public and the costs it brings to society to deal with career criminals and to repair the damage they do. All this talk of morality misses the point that it is immoral to continually release people back into the community to reoffend.

Err with a 3 strike rule with a death penalty attached you're going to bankrupt the country not save it money, unless of course you're go into hack down the burden of proof and their legal rights like all the "kill them it's cheaper" lot claim, at which point **** it why bother with the three strikes you're executing dozens/hundreds of people why bother with the charade?

you're going to need to dump it further for the inevitable riots you'll spark and have massive problems dealing with because lots of your police officers will have quit let alone judges*.

quick test on this point burnesy and von smallhausen would you continue to work as police officers if the uk instituted a 3 strikes death penalty for any 3 custodial sentences.

Soldato
I kind of like the fact that we’ve moved on from the death penalty tbh. Its in the past, leave it there as far as I am concerned. So a no from me.

I guess ultimately though people who have been victims of the criminals that would be eligible for said punishment may indeed have a differing view.

I think the only reason this keeps rearing its head though is an almost unanimous opinion that in the UK the criminals rather than the victims seem to be the ones that are served the best both in the lead up to a trial, during the trial and after it. Capital punishment therefore satisfies that feeling due to its severity.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
It is sort of reassuring that the e-petition to not reinstate the death penalty currently has a greater number of signatures than the one asking for it to return.

Soldato
Of course there should be a death penalty - anyone that commits repeated criminal acts clearly cannot be "rehabilitated".

Pathetically pandering to their every human right and putting them on the naughty step everytime they break into someone's house / beat someone senseless is utterly pointless and a complete waste of time and money.

Back
Top Bottom