• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Bulldozer is a bit of a flop - what should I do...

Associate
Basically, I have a bit of a problem - I bought;
HAF X
Coolermaster Silent Gold Pro 1000w
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Sapphire HD 6870
Noctua NH D14
LG Bluray Reader
Asus N13 Wireless Card
Asus Crosshair V Formula
No Memory as of yet - was thinking of 8GB G.skill stuff

So the problem is Bulldozer kinda sucks major *word from your imagination*...

What do I do -

Buy a AMD 1100T; and hope later FX 8000 models stop * *, then sell the 1100T and buy a bulldozer finally.

Sell the Crosshair V Formula, Buy a ASUS IV Maximus Gene-Z and a 2600k - (cant wait for the 2700k and will cost to much).

There is one time constriction of 25th September aka Battlefield 3?

So can you guys evaluate my problem or come up with an alternative solution?

Thanks in advanced

Associate
hows about flagging a cab down and asking for real street?

1100T is not slow ! Jeez most computers feel slow now due to mechanical hard drives

almost any game at 1080p and above will not really lose any performance especially if you apply some overclock

still if you really must change then the Gene-z and a 2500k is the better option imo

Associate
+1 on the 2500k if you want more performance. Although like DG said, BF3 performs just as well on either platform so go for whatever man!

Associate
Another option

What you could do is buy a Tri Core Athlon 3.3 for £45 for now and OC it to 4ghz (and also unlock any locked cores).

When Bulldozer prices fall through the roof due to them not selling hop on board (believe me this will happen quickly as the reviews have been so bad) at this point get a cheap 8120 for hopefully around £100.

The bonus of this way is you can then sell your tri core athlon and if it unlocked to a 4 core you probably will not lose any money on it as you can sell it as a tri core which definately unlocks to 4 core. Which most 2nd hand buyers would happily pay full price for as there is no risk. Worst case you lose £10-15 on a second hand sale.

Otherwise if you want a hexcore PII I would snap one up quick as they will soon start to disappear.

Soldato
There is one time constriction of 25th September aka Battlefield 3?

Well you've either missed that or you have plenty of time!
Phenom IIs aren't bad chips, but the Intel i5 and i7 are better.
My Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.5GHz encodes video a bit quicker than my i5 750 @ 3.8GHz (say 15% quicker) but I imagine a decently clocked i5 2500K would beat both and the i7 2600K would no doubt beat that, assuming your encoding software can make use of the extra threads.

B&W

B&W

Soldato
x6 phenom is more then good enuff for your tasks, you'll just be wasting loads of money selling them for a loss then getting the sandybridge setup.

Associate
get a 1090T and OC it. great chip and will give you similar performance to a 2500k or 2600k in games (due to them being GPU bound 99% of the time), and fall somewhere between them for things like video encoding. the 1090T and the 1100T both overclock the same amount so no point in getting the 1100T

Back
Top Bottom