Spec me a 256GB SSD..?

Associate
Ok, so obviously everyone has their own opinion on which drives they like Agility / Vertex / M4 / etc. but is there really anything much between them?

Also, from a price performance standpoint, what gives the best "bang for buck" value? I'm going to use the SSD as the main OS drive, replacing an Agility 3 60GB that's run out of room at a rather alarming rate. I know that the write speeds should be better than the 60GB I have simply due to the extra chips.

Caporegime
Windows is needlessly big, but if you get past that a 128gb drive can take windows, a bunch of programs and 2-3 big games, you'll find loading speeds on most games won't matter and if you try and put a bunch on there you'll run out of room eventually.

I'd go with a 128gb for now and maybe, when hdd prices return to normal look into something like a hybrid drive, which are not at all bad in terms of performance. At the moment due to costs something liek a 128gb ssd for windows and a couple games, and a 750-1tb drive with a small ssd cache looks to be the best way to go.

As for which 128gb, or 256gb to go for..... honestly you won't see a huge difference between any of them, and they all have their issues. The M4 to date has been significantly more reliable, and Crucial have for a LONG time been very easy and quick to RMA with in the UK which is fairly useful. M4/Vertex do beat the Agility in certain situations but you'll likely never "feel" that in real use. Considering the prices, with the number of the Agility style drives from ocz/corsair you see on special offer for around the £120 mark its probably a saving worth making, if you spot a M4 on special between £120-130 which has happened, I'd go with that.... obviously that would be 128gb models :p

Pretty much 128gb is "liveable" for me 64gb isn't, and 256gb would be great but ultimately very expensive. it's likely in 3-4 months the seagate hybrid drives will be down in price dramatically and I would think everyone else will be coming out with similar drives, or you can buy a drive specially for cache but its a bit overkill and awkward, the all in one solution, and size, make the Seagate a nice option..... but I'm not sure what the price of the 750gb would be post HDD's returning to a normal price.

Soldato
I'm going to use the SSD as the main OS drive, replacing an Agility 3 60GB that's run out of room at a rather alarming rate. I know that the write speeds should be better than the 60GB I have simply due to the extra chips.
Keep your 60GB as your OS drive and use the 256GB as a second drive for installing your games/apps etc on to

Associate
OP
Keep your 60GB as your OS drive and use the 256GB as a second drive for installing your games/apps etc on to

You'd be amazed at how many programs I install *need* to be on the C:\ drive, along with Windows... Most of my development tools (Visual Studio, Expression Blend, etc.) put some files on C: regardless of where you tell them to install.

Not a bad idea though...

Associate
crucial m4, my best purchase ever 256gb, its sweet, and i can raid it later when they release the new drivers :)

not had a single problem with it

Associate
crucial m4, my best purchase ever 256gb, its sweet, and i can raid it later when they release the new drivers :)

not had a single problem with it

2nd - the 256 m4 ... no probs and fast.
supposed to be quite reliable also. Never thought of raiding it; although last time I did a raid array I had issues to deal with.

Associate
It's for your os so go for reliability over outright speed/bang for buck.

The difference in real world speeds between ssd's is negligible. However having your main os drive brick itself is a real PITA

Soldato
Yeah, I'm liking the look of the Crucial M4 128GB or 256GB, however I'll have to sell my Agility 3 60GB first, which means I'll miss the "this week only" offer. :(

For the love of god please shop around. I am all for buyer loyalty but the 'This Week Only" prices on the M4 are shortsighted at best. I nearly spat my dinner out when I got my email with them plastered all over it this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom