2012 BBQ Thread!!

Soldato
Had two BBQ's over the weekend. Bit impromptu so didn't really have time to prep anything. Still happy that my old Gas Girl has been kicking out some lovely food but the cooking areas on it are just not sufficient enough for more than 4 people without it being a challenge. While part of me wants a charcoal BBQ again i'd have to wait until I move into a bigger house with a larger garden and get a brick one built in.

Soldato
Does anyone know if you can get corn on the cob still in its husk at any of the major supermarkets? Will hopefully be getting a non **** BBQ in the coming weeks and am planning all sorts of wonderous things thanks to an evening of watching delicious bbq related youtube videos.

Soldato
Dunno but definitely try your best to get it! It's one of the most perfect BBQ things there is, you can literally burn the husk to a crisp and it will still be awesome inside :p Virtually every BBQ we have here has a couple of corn on the cobs thrown on it.

And serve it with lemon quarters to rub on and then chile powder :cool: Once you try it you'll never go back to boring butter :p

Soldato
Dunno but definitely try your best to get it! It's one of the most perfect BBQ things there is, you can literally burn the husk to a crisp and it will still be awesome inside :p Virtually every BBQ we have here has a couple of corn on the cobs thrown on it.

And serve it with lemon quarters to rub on and then chile powder :cool: Once you try it you'll never go back to boring butter :p

I actually came across a youtube video of Jamie Oliver doing them on the bbq, then he coated them with butter and rolled in a mix of grated goats cheese and chopped chilli, then drizzled with a bit of lime juice. Physically gave me a food boner :p

Last edited:
Associate
Friday nights cook: Chicken thighs in Franks Red Hot Sauce + some sausages
Saturday: Rib eye steaks
Sunday: salmon wraps for brunch then China Town smoked ribs, Oriental Pork Fillet, 5 Spice Chicken, Peking Duck & Thai Green Curry

sundaycook.jpg

Monday: Vodka cured smoked salmon, wholemeal foccacia and Macadamia Nut Blondes

MondayCook.jpg

All cooked on the BBQs and smoker

Need to start thinking about what do cook next weekend

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Does anyone know if you can get corn on the cob still in its husk at any of the major supermarkets? Will hopefully be getting a non **** BBQ in the coming weeks and am planning all sorts of wonderous things thanks to an evening of watching delicious bbq related youtube videos.

In season you can, certainly got it in tesco last year. I think main season is slightly later though. Green grocers are 99% always in husks.

Love corn on the cob

Associate
Question: Can you re-use partially burnt coal briquettes? Would you just add them to the chimney starter, and burn as usual?

Yes.

I always shutdown the vents on my BBQs once I've finished cooking so that I can reuse any left overs. Obvisously they won't burn as hot or as long.

Soldato
In season you can, certainly got it in tesco last year. I think main season is slightly later though. Green grocers are 99% always in husks.

Love corn on the cob

I'll have to see if any greengrocers are still open in town, cheers.

Question: Can you re-use partially burnt coal briquettes? Would you just add them to the chimney starter, and burn as usual?

Yes you can reuse them, I've never stuck them in the chimney starter though, usually just added the fresh coal to the used ones and they re-light.

Associate
Friday nights cook: Chicken thighs in Franks Red Hot Sauce + some sausages
Saturday: Rib eye steaks
Sunday: salmon wraps for brunch then China Town smoked ribs, Oriental Pork Fillet, 5 Spice Chicken, Peking Duck & Thai Green Curry

+1 for Franks Red Hot Sauce!! :D

Associate
from what i've been reading the restraunt grade stuff from makro is pretty good and recommended.

be careful- i usually buy restaurant grade lumpwood from a trade only cash and carry but in a 12kg bag, a load of it is crushed and useless bits which either break up during lighting or slip through the charcoal grate on my bbq!!

the big chunky bits of lumpwood however are great, they burn hot which is great for steak and burgers nom nom:)

Soldato
Well I've scrimped and saved (read: I got paid) and am off out to get myself a shiny Weber and accessories :D it will now rain all summer though because of this so I'd advise all of you to get the bbqs out tonight...

Edit of disappointment: The one I went to buy turned out to be the older model with no thermometer in he lid, so ive had to order online. Decided to go for the One Touch Premium even though I always thought there was no real point getting it over the regular One Touch, ordering online with free delivery made the price difference much less so thought "why not" :)

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I hot smoked it using soaked apple wood chips. Was cooked indirect for about 18 - 20 mins. Temp was circa 350f. Was great to eat warm but even better the next day cold as the smokey flavour matured in the fridge. I'm planning on getting a cold smoker later in the year so will try this again then

Soldato
Rubs rubs rubs! In preparation for my barbecue arriving on Wednesday (thanks Liz) id like to make a few tasty rubs which I'll store in sealed glass jars ready to use when the need to grill strikes. So do any of you have any rub recipes worth sharing? I've plenty of spices and storage jars so rubs for beef, pork and chicken would be great.

Cheers :)

PS this thread needs much more activity :(

Back
Top Bottom