Woman refused bus travel at 3am for being 20p short on bus fare is raped... What would you have done

Soldato
No, because once a passenger has safely left the vehicle or has been refused travel due to whatever reason the Driver or company servant has no legal obligation to that person.

I think this is the key part.

I think a more realistic anecdote than Asim's is the driver letting passenger off at a stop and then the passenger crossing a road unsafely and getting hit buy a car, that would obviously not be the drivers' fault.

Because thats how I roll!

I wish the london bus dicks were as nice as you :p

However, if the girl came on and was rude to you, would you feel the same?

Soldato
I agree there is no way of knowing but the duty of the driver is there to protect the vulnerable, by not allowing a vulnerable young woman on the bus he is at fault. Unfortunately my google fu is lacking and my scanner is broken or I would show you MY copy of the customer charter.
Your company may have a policy for this kind of situation, but that legislation you quoted has nothing to do with this type of incident.

Permabanned
On the few occasions I've driven a service vehicle over the last few years, I've had two incidents happen that spring to mind.

One, and the most recent was stopping at a stop where a gent who was waiting for the bus had had what turned out to be a massive heart attack. He had no pulse but was still warm when I got there so I started CPR whilst waiting for the paramedics, who tried to resuscitate him for 15 minutes but to no avail.

The more relevant one given the direction this thread is going was a young girl of about 13 who got off my vehicle and ran across the front of it, straight into the path of a car that was coming past me.

Luckily she got away with a broken leg and some broken ribs, but I didn't sleep very well for a few days after that. Myself, as the driver, couldn't do a damn thing to control her actions that day but merely the fact she had paid her fare and been a passenger on my vehicle, and the duty of care that comes with that, made it tough to take.

And the driver who refused this young lady travel has exactly the same thing to deal with, but more acute given the circumstances. He shouldn't face any disciplinary action, yet his conscience must be stinging him all the time.

That is punishment enough for being unfortunate enough to be in a chain of events that leads to a crime like was committed.

Associate
What a horrible story ...

But then, question is why was she alone at 3am and money short ?

I'm not saying it's her fault, but you obviously don't want to tempt the devil do you ?

Soldato
If she looked like a decent person, who was genuinely short of change at 3am in the morning, I would have given her the money. Sadly, that is not normally the case.

Permabanned
I agree there is no way of knowing but the duty of the driver is there to protect the vulnerable, by not allowing a vulnerable young woman on the bus he is at fault. Unfortunately my google fu is lacking and my scanner is broken or I would show you MY copy of the customer charter.

Your companies Customer Charter is not a legally binding document in this situation...as a driver the vulnerability of any given individual is entire subjective, This girl was in fact a 22 year old woman, she was not a child, elderly or infirm....the driver has no reason to believe that refusing her travel because she doesn't have the right fare (and it is not clear as to her attitude or demeanour at the time) that she is at at any more risk than she was while walking to that bus stop.

Whether his company has specific procedures when dealing with short fares or not is a separate issue and if he has failed to follow any company guidelines or policies I suspect he will be having some tea and biscuits at some point...

However, to infer that he is subsequently responsible for the actions of the Rapist and the consequences thereof is ridiculous....as a bus driver you shpuld be more than aware of the situations you regularly find yourself in with little or no support and the myriad of often conflicting information you have to interpret on a daily basis in regard to passengers and procedures and so I find it hard to reconcile your attitude toward this driver with you being one yourself.

Caporegime
Totally agree.

But that just is not the case. This isn't a utopia.

If only the world was perfect...

Doesn't mean you should put yourself into risky situations because of how things are supposed to be.

Crossing live rails is risky, going for a swim in a frozen lake is risky, I think someone should have the right to get home without being attacked. Much like you have the right not to have stuff stolen from you just because you have it.

How about sorting the problem rather than treating the symptoms? I bet it's children's fault they get sexually abused for looking all young and stuff as well yeah?

She phoned to be picked up and was walking a short distance as well, it's very easy to find yourself short of cash and sometimes drivers don't even carry change for notes!

Last edited:
Associate
tbh if she can afford to go out drinking she should be able to afford the bus home and should have allowed for the trip home. You cant blame the driver or passengers for not giving her the money (granted I would have).

It is never the victims fault if they are raped it is the scum that rapes them. 9 out of 10 people who are raped know the person that rapes them. Due to the random nature of this rape if the scuum in the park did not rape her he would have raped some1 else.

Last edited:
Associate
Everyone saying its solely the rapists fault. It's like jumping in for a swim in chumm filled shark infested waters and saying its the shark's fault you got your leg bit off.

Or perhaps in more human terms lets say walking in to a Saudi mosque in a bikini and getting stoned. The Saudis fault? "Well a woman should be able to walk wherever she wants in a bikini!".

Beyond-basic common sense, being mildly aware of the local environment and minimal forward planning can keep you out of these scenarios. Maybe they should teach it in school? It's probably too un-PC though.

She was at a Bus stop with other people getting on the bus as well. Her lifeboat sailed away because she was 20p short. Bad call by the driver.

quote from a Newspaper
The 22-year-old law student has been out drinking with friends and hopes to catch a Pronto night bus home to her parents who live only 20 minutes away. It is a route she has often used. The increasingly anxious young woman, who is just 20p short on the £5 fare, asks him if he will wait while she visits a cash machine.

Her plea falls on deaf ears. So she asks him if she can pay the money next time or, failing that, when she meets her mother at the other end.

As she rifles through her coat pockets, she is seen looking pleadingly as other passengers pour past her, clearly hoping that someone will step in to offer the 20p she needs.

But they don't and the driver orders her off the bus.

Seems that under the circumstances apart from not go out that night she did everything right which she thought would have got her home ok. Can't believe people are basically saying its her fault for being out at 3am on her own.. read the full story looks like she never had a choice once the driver refused to let her on.. Even then she phoned the one person she knew would help her, and possibly to spare her mum more trouble she even arranged to meet her down the road where her mum could get to..

Unreal some of you, should be ashamed to be called men or human for that matter..

Soldato
She was at a Bus stop with other people getting on the bus as well. Her lifeboat sailed away because she was 20p short. Bad call by the driver.

No it wasn't. She couldn't pay for the service so he didn't give it to her. I'd blame the other passengers long before I blamed the driver.

Soldato
Was it her fault she was raped? No, of course not, and I wish that the scum who do things like that would have harsher sentences.

Was it her fault she wasn't allowed on the bus? Yes, she lacked the money to pay for the bus service, so couldn't use that service. If I was a passenger on the bus I most likely would have just given her the 20p, but if I was the bus driver I would have done what the driver did in this situation.

The only one at fault for the rape is the guy who is now in prison, and the only one at fault for her not being able to get on the bus, is her, no one else. While some think the passengers should have given her the money, like some of us would have, I don't think they deserve any blame for not giving her money, and the bus driver was doing his job, any while his actions would have been to blame if he turned away a child, or someone elderly, turning away someone who is 22 in my mind is not wrong.

Associate
No it wasn't. She couldn't pay for the service so he didn't give it to her. I'd blame the other passengers long before I blamed the driver.

I never blamed him for anything I just reckon weighing up the situation He made a bad call.

And get real he's in charge of the bus it was his call. And i know he wasn't to know she was going to get jumped battered and raped by some idiot.. But all the same it's 3am in the morning , he knew he was the last bus. and he still never let her on for a measly 20p.

Caporegime
you know what happens when a bus drivers cash doesnt match the tickets right?

im sure he gets hundreds of people trying it on should have fork out of his own money for everyone of them? get a grip..

Associate
you know what happens when a bus drivers cash doesnt match the tickets right?

im sure he gets hundreds of people trying it on should have fork out of his own money for everyone of them? get a grip..

He didn't get hundreds of people trying it on at 3 am on the last bus home did he ? He just had a young girl who he knew would have been left there to find another way home when he pulled away at 3.08 in the morning. Still a bad call under those circumstances.. Thats my Grip on it..

Soldato
Crossing live rails is risky, going for a swim in a frozen lake is risky, I think someone should have the right to get home without being attacked. Much like you have the right not to have stuff stolen from you just because you have it.

How about sorting the problem rather than treating the symptoms? I bet it's children's fault they get sexually abused for looking all young and stuff as well yeah?

She phoned to be picked up and was walking a short distance as well, it's very easy to find yourself short of cash and sometimes drivers don't even carry change for notes!

Again, I totally agree with this.

And, again, this isn't how society works sadly. It would be great if it did.

Reminds me of a famous quote on here that if all chavs were wiped out there would be world peace and we would cure cancer in 9 days or something similar.

These things will never happen and crime will always exist.

Last edited:
Soldato
I never blamed him for anything I just reckon weighing up the situation He made a bad call.

And get real he's in charge of the bus it was his call. And i know he wasn't to know she was going to get jumped battered and raped by some idiot.. But all the same it's 3am in the morning , he knew he was the last bus. and he still never let her on for a measly 20p.

20p short sure go ahead get on.
50p short sure go ahead get on.
Couple of quid short sure why not.
No fare at all but oh it's 3am and you're a drunk woman go ahead...

Bus driver made the correct call, the people on the bus should have lent a hand. I would so long as they weren't an abusive ***** (which most women smashed out of their head at that time seem to be)

Soldato
Can't believe people are basically saying its her fault for being out at 3am on her own..

Really? You've been here for two years, you should know the calibre of some of the posters around here.

A tragic incident with exceptionally unfortunate circumstances. A minor jobsworth has his uppity attitude come back to bite him in the arse in a serious way, but is it his fault? No. As others have said, had the girl not been in the park right then it's highly likely another girl would have been raped in her stead. The only remarkable thing about this situation is that there's an element that tabloids can exploit to sensationalise the turn of events.

Back
Top Bottom