Woman refused bus travel at 3am for being 20p short on bus fare is raped... What would you have done

Man of Honour
im surprised they aren't doing the bus co. for attempted robbery. £5 for off peak travel on a grubby service is a joke.

That was my first thought but I haven't been on a bus for at least 3 decades.
I didn't know they were so expensive.
Nobody has answered my question whether she could have had a £4.80 bus ride and can get off a couple of stops earlier or whether £5 is a set fee no matter how far you go?

Soldato
That was my first thought but I haven't been on a bus for at least 3 decades.
I didn't know they were so expensive.
Nobody has answered my question whether she could have had a £4.80 bus ride and can get off a couple of stops earlier or whether £5 is a set fee no matter how far you go?

I've not used a night bus for 15 years, however when I got it, it wasn't like a normal bus. It picked you up in George Square in Glasgow and dropped me off in Hamilton. It wasn't as if you could pay 20p less and get off a mile early, it was a set fee - assuming I remember back 15 years, bearing in mind it's unlikely I ever got on it sober.

Associate
Need to withdraw what i said earlier as i was wrong!

Just been chatting to my dad about this, who has been a bus driver for 25 years and is deputy chairman of the union and he says the bus driver was in the wrong.

There’s a facility in place regarding people who are short of money on the ticket system. He actually went on to say that’s it policy not to argue with customers regarding fair and you have to let them on if there’s an issue. He said it was negligent of the driver not to let her on especially given it was 3am and the last bus of the night. Even if she had no money at all he said he would have let her on and would face no action from the company given the situation.

Regarding the intake not matching the out of tickets he just shrugged his shoulders and said its nothing and nothing would come of it even if an inspector was on board.

Regarding the bus driver he said he should face disciplinary action and given my dad deals with disciplinary action in the union on a daily basis i would believe what he says.

This. i've been a bus driver for firstgroup for seven years odd and there are strict rules regarding the carriage of vulnerable people and children and also refusal of carriage. there is also an unpaid fares procedure that we are all shown. whilst i work for first i would be very surprised if every bus company didnt also have unpaid fares procedures.

any woman alone at night i and my company consider to be vulnerable and are not to be refused travel under any circumstances. if they misbehave or cause trouble the only person that can remove them from the bus are the police. anybody that is refused travel has to be reported on a refusal to travel report which is a legal requirement and there has to be a very genuine reason behind it.

on a personal note this driver is a scumbag. the kind of scumbag that gives all us good bus drivers a bad name. he isnt even a jobsworth as he didnt do his job as he is supposed to. for a genuine request to be let off 20p when she offered to go get the cash out i would have just let her off the 20p and thrown it in myself especially on the last bus of the night. it makes me so mad when i hear of the way some bus drivers treat people like dirt. i hope it haunts him for the rest of his life.

Permabanned
anybody that is refused travel has to be reported on a refusal to travel report which is a legal requirement and there has to be a very genuine reason behind it.

I think most operators have similar policies and definitions of vulnerable groups......however, just one point, the above is not a legal requirement, it is either a company policy requirement or a contractual requirement in the case of what many contracting authorities such as Local Councils demand as a condition of operation of contracted routes. (this obviously doesn't apply to Children and those who come under the DDA where specific legal obligations are in place).

Associate
I have heard this story a couple of times over the last couple of weeks, and wondered about people's take on it.

Basically back in December a 22 year old woman was going home at 3am on the night bus after a Christmas night out, but only had £4.80 when the fare was £5.00. After asking to be let off the 20p, the driver refused, and nobody else on the bus offered to give her the 20p. She then asked the driver if she could run to the cashpoint which was a few steps from the bus stop, to get the money, to which he refused again, and drove away leaving her.

She rang her mum to come pick her up, but her mum was unfamiliar with the one-way system in the city so agreed to meet her a few streets away in a place that she could get to more easily.

In almost the exact place her mum was due to meet her, she was dragged into a park and beaten and raped by a 19 year old scumbag, who, as he was leaving the park, ran into the girl's mother with a police officer that she had asked for help from, worried as her daughter hadn't shown up. He then pretended to play the hero who had found the girl beaten and raped in the park.

He has now been found guilty of the crime and has been told he will face a lengthy prison sentence, while it seems that she has really got her life back on track, continued with her law course at uni and refused to let it ruin her life, so good for her.

I bet the bus driver feels some guilt. I know that the fare was £5, not £4.80, and he was probably running to a schedule and might not have had time to wait for her, but I bet he still feels awful.

My question is - if you were one of those people who was sat there on the bus as this girl pleaded to be let on the bus, or to run and get some money, what would you have done?

I can honestly say that wouldn't have hesitated to give someone 20p, if I had it. I can't imagine the guilt I would be feeling now if I had heard what happened to that girl and I had just sat there, acting like I hadn't heard what was going on (as many people on public transport seem to do).

Full story here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...s-because-she-was-20p-short-of-the-fare.html#

God bless you, Captain Hindsight!

sp_1411_clip05_original.jpg

Back
Top Bottom