OCZ Vertex2 128GB Sata-II dead after first format?

Associate
Hey guys,

Kinda looking for some advice here, I have an older Asus G50V and I went ahead and ordered the Vertex2 from OC to give it a speed boost, but it seems after the first attempted format the drive is goosed.

I ran through the windows formatting utility, set up the 2 partitions leaving ~60gb free for a linux partition later on, clicked on the partition, hit install and then the whole thing died saying it could not find a specific file... and then all the problems started. Re-started the installation process and it didn't even list the SSD anymore, but was still listing it in the BIOS (however listing it as having a 28gb capacity... I can't get my head around that one).

Even if it shows up in the BIOS I get the message "Primary master hard disk error" etc... now we've progressed to the point that it doesn't show up at all as a listed drive....

Has the vertex2 just locked up on the first format?! And are there any ways to test/resolve this short of an RMA?

Hopefully you guys have heard of this sort of situation, as i'm stumped.

Cheers
-fedexer-

Soldato
Can you delete the existing partitions? Use a bootable version of GParted or similar. Leave the drive as unallocated space when you install windows. See if it is recognised now in the bios. Let windows install in the unallocated space (windows 7?). When you want to install Linux you can allow it to reduce the main windows partition, or manually change it using EasyUS partition manager in windows or GParted again..

Associate
OP
Can you delete the existing partitions? Use a bootable version of GParted or similar. Leave the drive as unallocated space when you install windows. See if it is recognised now in the bios. Let windows install in the unallocated space (windows 7?). When you want to install Linux you can allow it to reduce the main windows partition, or manually change it using EasyUS partition manager in windows or GParted again..

I will try this when I get home tonight from work and reply with the result, i'm hoping this might be a solution, but i'm sceptical as the drive isn't often ever shown on the bios to begin with.

Associate
OP
Latest update: Booted up GParted on a usb pen drive and got that running, however the only drive it actually showed me was itself, not the SSD or the original HD in the laptop....

Also something to now, suddenly the BIOS discovered the SSD again with the proper capacity, but as soon as I tried a re-install it had to have died again as the install just hung. Also I've noticed the SSD doesn't have S.M.A.R.T enabled? :S

I'm going to try booting from the original HD with the SSD as the secondary, see if i can't use gparted from inside windows and see the SSD.. though i'll be shocked. This really is starting to seem like it's on a downhill route.

Associate
Have you got a PC to test out the drive in by any chance? Would show the drive being faulty if it showed the same behaviour.

Back
Top Bottom