Hiking up Snowdon this weekend, precautions to take?

Soldato
Going to be hiking up Snowdon this weekend, which might not be the best idea in the world, depending on the weather, but what precautions should I take for my camera?

It's gonna be cold. Seriously windy and cold. The wind chill won't affect my camera, but what about the cold itself?

Is there anything I need to consider? I'm only going to be taking my cheap 18-105mm lens, nothing else. Do I need to acclimatise it? It might only be just freezing at the base level but I am guessing much colder at the summit.

Soldato
it will be fine, worst you might get is some condensation when you first take it out of it's warm bag. Only thing to be certain of is you have a good waterproof bag for it as when it rains in the hills it can really rain and it will soak through most bags.

Soldato
Dunno about the camera, but they've forecast freezing weather around here, and were bang on the money this morning!

You've probably picked the worst possible time to go up there. It's not nice up Snowdon when the weather is bad, so be careful!

Soldato
Stick your camera inside a large freezer bag and seal it. Allow that to acclimatise to the cold, then remove your camera. Do the same when taking it back into a warm environment when you finish shooting. That will prevent condensation from forming in and on your lenses and the camera body. That is likely to be what would do damage before freezing temperatures would in this country.

Its probably also worth getting something waterproof to keep it in should it be wet. I bought a waterproof sack thing from a camping shop which I can fit inside a normal backpack.

Soldato
Snow, sleet and freezing weather conditions - are you sure you need to go up Snowdon this weekend? :D

Otherwise condensation and the body/lens getting wet would be my main 2 concerns.

Soldato
OP
Probably not the best idea, no! We are gonna try it, as in check out the weather on the day and retreat if it's really bad. There's always another time. We can go elsewhere if it's bad.

Man of Honour
Last edited:
Associate
Probably not the best idea, no! We are gonna try it, as in check out the weather on the day and retreat if it's really bad. There's always another time. We can go elsewhere if it's bad.

it can close in in minutes up there ,don't forget to take emergency shelter bags and a sleeping bag ,in-case you need to stay put till there weather clears

Soldato
I'm quite experienced at going up Snowdon in all weathers. If its icy you should probably stick to the llanberis path. You might freeze your knackers off but at least you wont kill yourself on that route.

Fingers crossed the summit is clear for you.

Associate
Crampons (if wandering off Llanberis path), walking sticks, torch, hot food/drinks and plenty of warm clothing as the Cafe will not be open. Don't expect a helicopter ride if you are stuck on the mountains and the fog has rolled in (which it will and very quickly). It will take a couple of hours for the MRT guys, galls and dogs to walk up to you... So be prepared for the worst scenario is what the SAR chaps recommend.

To be honest, I enjoy walking up to the 3/4-way train bridge that overlooks the Glyders. After that, the rest of the way is usually in thick fog, over-crowded and pointless, unless you want to add the summit as a tick in the box.

Apart from that, enjoy the hike.

Soldato
keep batteries inside your jacket, will keep them warm and stop the cold from effecting them.

Everything else has been covered I think, but you must be mad in this weather :p

Associate
gloves. maybe rubber ones too, thatll help keep the cold from getting to your hands so much when using the camera, and they wont be so clumsy as normal gloves

Associate
If you're not an experienced walker or with a group that are then i'd be more worried about you than your gear. Snowden is not to be messed with. Hypothermia can kill and gets you quietly.

Associate
Forecast is sleet/snow on the mountains from tonight and well into next week. Wind coming from E/NE which will drop the temperature by at least -10C in the mountains, along with additional chill from the wind. Word from the SAR Ops is that "weather is not favourable up top"... However if you use the Llanberis path, it will be safer but don't expect to reach the summit unless you are with a group or a seasoned climber.

Soldato
OP
Well we made it. :p

Here's the state of my camera after taking it to the top, exposed for the whole way. Not a problem with it at all. Filter kept getting covered with ice, but that was it.

According to my friend's watch it was -8c at the top. Wind was extreme.

741108_10151403736912534_841951021_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom