Where is the money at these days in computing?

Soldato
Silence you blithering idiots, my thought process got totally mixed up:(

I multiplied however many hours a week I work, and multiplied it by however many days a year I work.

The correct calculation would be to multiply it by weeks in a year.

You all smell of poo.

Soldato
Agreed. Development has been a consistently good area to get into and doesn't go in fads such as SharePoint etc. If you're a good developer with a few years experience, you can command salaries of £75k+ if you're willing to work in London. Starting salary fresh out of a good university for London is £40k-ish.

40k starting out? Most grad schemes out there at the moment pay between 25k and 30k in London. Unless you're also factoring in some of the golden hellos the large places offer.

In my opinion unless you're high up the chain working IT for a non-IT firm is never going to get you money or career progression. You need to be working for a large integrator or a consultancy to earn real money.

Soldato
Analytics and the insights from data. Companies pay for real insights that will help them improve, sell more and reduce costs. Reporting is easy, providing insights about what the data means is less so and is rewarded accordingly.

This is the area I work in, pays well and is actually interesting.

The 'Data Scientist'.

In my personal opinion that's just another marketing buzz word that sits next to the likes of 'big data'. A data scientist is just a BA with some IT smarts!

Man of Honour
I receive job alerts and there seems to be a lot of money, either from consultancy earning £450 per day upwards to 60k+ yearly salaries for permanent roles. This is just for generic "IT" - so there is money in it.

Soldato
Software development for financial institutions has always been good to me.

financial institutions are; investment banks, asset managers and hedge funds (where I am now).

Standard contractor rates are 1,000-1,200 CHF (£650-£850) a day. Permanent salaries are more varied, and total gross will depend on what bonus you get. Senior developers with business and vendor specific systems knowledge can expect to take home £90k+ basic.

You have to put in the effort though. You need to keep up with development fads, both managerial and technical. It might be a 9-5:30 job, but you need to be interested in the area outside of work to make it work for you (if you see what I mean...)

Where abouts do you work?

SAP definitely seems to be popular at the moment, but I think IT security, proper HSM, PKI security, will always be popular and very well paid. Stopping people getting in bases.

Soldato
Where abouts do you work?

SAP definitely seems to be popular at the moment, but I think IT security, proper HSM, PKI security, will always be popular and very well paid. Stopping people getting in bases.

I can't say for who, obviously, but it's a large "alternative investment manager".

Soldato
I receive job alerts and there seems to be a lot of money, either from consultancy earning £450 per day upwards to 60k+ yearly salaries for permanent roles. This is just for generic "IT" - so there is money in it.

I see a massive range for my sort of job coming through all the time (I'm hiring as well at the moment...C#/WPF/.Net dev role trust email a CV if you're interested...)

Last week I saw £120 a day up to £1,100 a day.

And salaries ranging from £35k to £120k.

A huge amount (as has been said before) depends not just on what you do, but what *else* you do, what *else* you know and who you work for.

Man of Honour
I sometimes wonder if I should have taken separate qualifications in IT but didn't see myself staying in the techy side of things. However, I prefer dealing with people than machines! I leave my geekery for home :p

Permabanned
I sometimes wonder if I should have taken separate qualifications in IT but didn't see myself staying in the techy side of things. However, I prefer dealing with people than machines! I leave my geekery for home :p

A people person.... that's what we require on front line support. At the moment most just hum n har! (IT users too!) Sick of it. Really depressing when people moan.

Soldato
Well if they'd made us do something a bit more challenging than VB scripting in MS Access... ;)

You have to start somewhere, these kinda courses are what you make of them (a bit like life), if you make them boring and tedious they will be.

I always give everything I do 100%, if that was my first job working in a greengrocers (which I loved) or doing all the rubbish at work that nobody wanted to touch (<----make sure you do this, is always pays off).

If you make things challenging or a laugh then you don't get bored, I guess it because I'm old but where you think that video is a "laugh or mint" all I see is young lads being dumb and wasting an opportunity (like I said I'm old).

Some of my mates dropped out of college Uni and have done better than me, it was just holding them back. Others have gone on to stack shelves in Tesco (nothing wrong with that, I've done that as well) not what I'd call a career though.

Back
Top Bottom