front door sellers/charities

Soldato
We had some guy knock on the door asking for money for an anti-bullying charity the other day, so I called him fat and picked him up by his ankles, shook his lunch money out of his pockets, and then gave him a wedgie!*

*I may not have actually done this.

Soldato
My salesmen response: "If I want something I would have already bought it and I certainly won't be paying for your job premium on top of it."

My charity worker response: *Before they finish their speech* "Do you have a website? I'll check it out and have a read up on your cause, then I'll consider making a donation." Again this is because I believe whoever is knocking on the door is likely being paid too.

Tea Drinker
Don
I open the door with enough room to be able to close the door in one slow flick without saying a word whilst they are half way through their opening spiel whilst looking them in the eyes, it's hilarious.

Soldato
To be fair we had some Spanish lad knock the other day from the British Heart Foundation and the first thing he said was "I'm not allowed to collect donations on the door and you should go to the website" which I thought was pretty decent.

Associate
I'm obviously in the minority here but charities are having to resort to those methods because the general public don't give enough and the donations are dropping every year. Direct debits also allow for charities to plan for schemes rather than having to cancel stuff (at a further cost) because they didn't get the random public donations they expected for that quarter.

As for paying 80-100k for some big boss - have you thought it may be worth it? Getting someone who is high profile and has the experience of managing big organisations probably saves a ton of money that is donated. It's like complaining that huge amounts go into advertising. If my money goes towards an advert that raises 3 times what I gave then I'd rather it went into the advert so that there's more money in the pot that goes to the cause I'm donating in.

Permabanned
I just tell them that I don't donate or give money away. if they ask why in tell them that I don't like that charity. I always say it to the red cross people in the street leaves them stunned. If they persist I tell them about Haiti and the missing millions, I actually feel bad for the guy at this point as he is just looking for work and thought he found honest work. but like Steve Hughes says, I'd rather give it to a homeless beggar who is going to buy beer than a big charity, at least you know where the money goes.

Associate
I had a guy at my door claiming to represent Oxfam looking for money on a sponsored run. I thought nothing of it and was filling in the form when he started asking about my college education and my age? My wife overheard this and came out and asked him who his boss was and to see see some ID and he just ran away!

We phoned Oxfam and apparently they DO NOT ask for cash at the door in any circumstances so this guy was a fraudster. I'm not sure about the rest of the UK but I'm in Scotland. Be aware for these guys.

Soldato
We've got a couple of women who seem to go around the houses in our area every now and then (maybe every half a year or so) with a collection box... They claim to be from some charity or another but have no form or ID or uniform and the box looks like it was robbed from somewhere. I usually just shake my head (glass pane in door) and walk back out of the hallway, but I've always been tempted to see what they'd do if I asked for Id... or said "That's interesting, I work for the police and it's illegal to ask for money on people's doorsteps"... or just grabbed their collection box and shut the door on them, tell them I'm going to phone the police. There's a lot of old folks who live around our way and I can just imagine they probably don't think twice and hand over cash.

Permabanned
Open your front door Naked & wave your tackle from left to right in a hypnotic motion, Once he's in a trance rob his collection box & close the door, Profit.

tumblr_m9smscyoe61rzhv5ho1_250.gif

Associate
I had a lad come round last night from love film of all people, I've had their service in the past but have since moved to netflix which I find much better. Any way the guy starts his pitch and I say that I'm not interested due to being with a competitor which I prefer, at which point he asks to come into the house and use the PC to sign me up for a free trial. Cue door closing in his face, I realise that my mistake was opening the door at all but usually its easier to say no thanks than endure 15 minutes of the dog barking at the door.

on a side note is this a sign of the times for love film? Door to door must be a last ditch attempt to rejuvenate the subscription numbers.

Associate
Hi

Today I had a door to door seller who claimed he was from some homeless youth charity , he was selling household things like dusters and other mf cloths.

I was not interested in anything he was selling and then he asked for a small contribution, which again I said sorry but I cant.

Now I'm all for giving to charity but I just hate it when its someone who knocks at your front door and after I feel so guilty about not giving anything!

Does anyone else feel the same?

This is a well known scam.

Soldato
I never answer the door. Only when I'm expecting someone/something. Even then I can usually tell if it is a courier if van is on the road or not.

Back
Top Bottom