*** AMD FRIDAY: SO WHO WANTS A FREE BURGER & SOME EPIC AMD DEALS??? ***

Associate
Unless you need the performance of two cards, I'd say you may as well wait for the new ones. It's what I'm doing, less power draw and heat output than getting a second card, plus you'll have a nice current generation card to play with :)

Thats that then. I dont NEED it but it would definitely help bump the frames up. Guess ill have to wait!

Associate
At 1080p, BF3, crysis 3 etc. run fine (well C3 could do with a few more frames TBH). However, Minecraft with shaders on the other hand.... that game is an absolute pig. Goes from 200fps to 35fps.

Well minecraft doesn't have the best optimisation in the world, so I doubt the extra GPU grunt would benefit it too much anyway (if minecraft even supports CF at all).

Yep my thoughts also. 1080p gaming doesn't need xfire 7950 in my opinion so targeting xmas for 9950. :)

My thoughts also, a 9950 will make a very nice christmas present for myself (depending on the price!) :)

Soldato
I'm tempted to get 2 7990s just cuz how cool would that be!?
But can't help but feel that most games may not scale well to 4 GPUs so it wouldn't really utilise the cards.
Could therefore probably just get say 3 7970s and save £220. But that's probably still overkill, especially as I dislike so many games on 3 screens due to the distortion (I do have 120Hz monitors though so nice to get 120fps where I can).
Also there's the issue of AMD assuming that everyone had DisplayPort monitors these days (especially if you're going 3D right?) which means ~£150 worth of adaptors.

Maybe I should just wait and get 2 9970s? (or if the price/performance isn't there, 2 780s).

I'd managed to resist all the Nvidia offers and then this!

Would also be annoying buying cards and knowing they're about to become old tech.

Associate
Well minecraft doesn't have the best optimisation in the world, so I doubt the extra GPU grunt would benefit it too much anyway (if minecraft even supports CF at all).

My thoughts also, a 9950 will make a very nice christmas present for myself (depending on the price!) :)

Haha, 9800GTs (SLi) ran MC at about 150fps so i guess it isnt very optimised.

Associate
I'm tempted to get 2 7990s just cuz how cool would that be!?
But can't help but feel that most games may not scale well to 4 GPUs so it wouldn't really utilise the cards.
Could therefore probably just get say 3 7970s and save £220. But that's probably still overkill, especially as I dislike so many games on 3 screens due to the distortion (I do have 120Hz monitors though so nice to get 120fps where I can).
Also there's the issue of AMD assuming that everyone had DisplayPort monitors these days (especially if you're going 3D right?) which means ~£150 worth of adaptors.

Maybe I should just wait and get 2 9970s? (or if the price/performance isn't there, 2 780s).

I'd managed to resist all the Nvidia offers and then this!

Would also be annoying buying cards and knowing they're about to become old tech.

I have heard that 3 way CF/SLI can eliminate most of the microstutter that 2 way can sometimes experience, however 4 way tends to scale poorly. Hopefully the 9970 will bring good performance at an acceptable price!

Associate
Does anyone have the dimensions of the 7970, or has anyone fitted it into an Antec 900? Haven't looked inside my PC for a while, but I think my 5850 dominated quite a lot of space in there. If it does fit and the deal is still going I'd be sorely tempted, I was originally looking at GTX 760s.

Associate
Also, I thought Sim City was amongst the bonus games but I can't see that any more reading through the thread... I was thinking of buying a 7970.

Permabanned
My 7950 is due in around 2-3pm

Hope I get another card that has a 8+6 pin power plugs and based on the 7970 design :D

Even though 2 overclocked 7950's is over kill for 1080p..... But who cares..... Can never have enough power ;)

Back
Top Bottom