Is charity fund raising a waste of time?

Soldato
In the last place I worked one of the lads did a bike ride for charity. He got a load of those green tins and put them in loads of shops.

anyway, he kept all the money for himself. I kid you not. The worst part of it though it is LEGAL. He found out a law that actually states the money you raise can go to the person doing the charity event. CRAZY!

Soldato
Some years back a critically injured dog was put out if its misery by a traffic cop by using a shovel. While not textbook, the officer did the right thing yet the RSPCA prosecuted him which I didn't like given more deserving cases that they should focus on. I think the case was discontinued or he was found not guilty but I did not like the action they took.

People tend to go cross-eyed a bit when it comes to Animal Welfare and there's no reasoning with ones that take it too far

Man of Honour
No I do not think charities are a waste of time. What an absurd opinion to make?

I have utter most respect and admiration to those that spend their lives dedicating themselves to make differences to others, whether it's through funding raising or giving up their time or both. It's a remarkable example of humanitarian effort.

Like most things, there's always an opposite opinion. I don't have a problem with that but they'll be a point in most peoples lives where we'll depend on some kind of charity organisation. I'd like to think then when i do, I've done my bit.. No matter how small.

Associate
In the last place I worked one of the lads did a bike ride for charity. He got a load of those green tins and put them in loads of shops.

anyway, he kept all the money for himself. I kid you not. The worst part of it though it is LEGAL. He found out a law that actually states the money you raise can go to the person doing the charity event. CRAZY!

I work in the charity sector and have manged a team who process donation received by the charity. If you raised money for a charity and then kept it, it would be fraud. However it's normally quite hard proving this unless you have copies of paper work etc. Also in about 80% of the times the allegations are untrue and it just a jealous partner trying to get their ex arrested. Which it a great use of charity money to investigate.

Soldato
all the money raised is spent on Terry Wogan or guns for Africian War Lords anyway so it is a complete waste of money.

Good lord man, stop reading the daily mail.

I used to do more charity work and it's sort of diminished moving between places, I really should get back on that.

Thug
Soldato
Geo-politically I guess charity and aid can be beneficial (yes India I'm looking at you), but personally I'm not particularly in favour of it.

There are people in our society and Europe who need the money far more than some tips in Africa where the money makes bugger all difference.

I had to study a module of development economics at university and it really did not do wonders for my opinion.

Man of Honour
What did she actually do there?

Obviously she is the one to be able to tell you everything but I know for starters that the kids had a very poor diet eating exactly the same stuff every day so she (and others) went and spent exactly the same amount on a variety of food that gave them a better diet. A bit unbelievable but there's a photo of some of the kids holding bananas because they had never seen them before.

Fair play but how exactly did she raise awareness? What was the outcome of this trip and how did it improve the lives of Ugandan orphans?http://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/mar/05/bob-geldof-live-aid

Up to yet she has given 15 talks in different schools and all of them have pledged money so every little bit helps as they say.

Associate
We contributed £200 to the original tsunami only to find out that hotel developers were creaming of the cash and the fishermen were just forgotten or moved aside.
It makes you very sceptical, even cynical.

Man of Honour
It all deppends on the charity. They arent all the same.

Much prefer supporting the smaller charities, that have far less advertising and other wastages.
I also hate the constant mail shots you get from big charities.

Associate
Obviously she is the one to be able to tell you everything but I know for starters that the kids had a very poor diet eating exactly the same stuff every day so she (and others) went and spent exactly the same amount on a variety of food that gave them a better diet. A bit unbelievable but there's a photo of some of the kids holding bananas because they had never seen them before.

Up to yet she has given 15 talks in different schools and all of them have pledged money so every little bit helps as they say.

Bravo to her.

I give money to WaterAid and Cancer Research UK every month and donated through http://www.dec.org.uk/ today to help in the Philippines as what happened over there is tragic.

I think it is a shame if people decide after reading an ill-informed article in a national rag, that all charities are a rip off. The fact that someone may be in a position to help would decide not to due to a mis-placed feeling of cynicism from reading an article penned by some hack looking to further their career and nothing else is a deep deep shame. I am not saying that all charity organizations are legit and their finance and processes are completely in order or as efficient as they could. I am not saying that mistakes are not made. After all they have humans running them.

I accept that all organizations have running costs. I accept that they would not be able to help if they do not have the necessary equipment, computers or offices. I accept that they might not be successful if they did not have the right people at the helm who shock horror, have a good wage. I do not know specifics, but if I was running a world wide organization like the Red Cross then I would want to be paid more than a cashier at Tescos.

Do your research and make sure you are happy before you give over any cash or time. That is all.

Associate
Someone I know is trying to raise money so they and their partner can swan off to Africa and teach some kids/help with projects in the community.

This type of scrounging really annoys me because they essentially want other people to pay for their 'experience' so they can go and do something. If they really want to be charitable then they should fund it themselves and then provide their 'help'.

Soldato
Some years back a critically injured dog was put out if its misery by a traffic cop by using a shovel. While not textbook, the officer did the right thing yet the RSPCA prosecuted him which I didn't like given more deserving cases that they should focus on. I think the case was discontinued or he was found not guilty but I did not like the action they took.

So if I saw a man who looked in a bad way after a RTA and I caved his head in with a spade would said traffic cop pat me on the back or arrest me?

A bit flippant I know but there is a kind of irony in that story. The police happily enforce the letter of the law without context (arresting people using self defense for example).

I'd like to check the facts of the incident but can't seem to find any links via Google, but the fact is unless the officer was a qualified vet I don't really think it is in his remit to give a prognosis in animal life expectancy.

Soldato
OP
So are you against the idea of giving away your own money/money raised to a charitable cause, or is it just the organisational structure of said companies you're against? What do you propose as an alternative?

You see you have hit the nail on the head without realising, they are supposed to charities not companies.

I think more people should help at a local level, serve at a homeless shelter for a day, build a well in Africa, that kind of thing.

Not give money to massive global "companies"

Associate
You see you have hit the nail on the head without realising, they are supposed to charities not companies.

I think more people should help at a local level, serve at a homeless shelter for a day, build a well in Africa, that kind of thing.

Not give money to massive global "companies"

Can you not understand that these companies operate on a global level and can help a global response? That such as requires an coordinated effort with armed forces and governments working together. Like that needed for the Philippines now?

If all we had were cottage efforts down the road then nothing much would get done for said event. Not saying that local such charities do not serve a very welcome purpose, but you need organizations across the spectrum.

Soldato
OP
Nothing does get done though, the Philippines has a government, world governments have committed money and resources, my taxes included, why should I give more money to say Oxfam when a massive amount will be swallowed by admin and CEO salaries?

How much actually gets to a Philippine family? Nil or close too it I bet.

Caporegime
I was at work today and was hounded about doing something for Red Nose day, I refused to do anything physical except hold a bucket.

I said charity is crap, my colleague was shocked by this, but all the money raised is spent on Terry Wogan or guns for Africian War Lords anyway so it is a complete waste of money.

Does anyone else hate charities like me?

All the costs on admin and stuff is appalling, don't even get me started on CEO Charity salaries. :rolleyes:

I mean my colleague worked for a charity before hand in an admin role, I mean Jesus how did she live with herself knowing that she was sponging off of good honest donations.

Do you expect CEOs to work for free? What a naive and uneducated opinion!

The goal of a charity is to maximize the effectiveness of donation and maximize the total donations received. This requires management expertise and the administration should mirror that of any other business organization of similar gross finances.

Associate
Someone I know is trying to raise money so they and their partner can swan off to Africa and teach some kids/help with projects in the community.

This type of scrounging really annoys me because they essentially want other people to pay for their 'experience' so they can go and do something. If they really want to be charitable then they should fund it themselves and then provide their 'help'.

This sort of thing is the final nail in the coffin for me, in terms of donating money. In the last couple of years I know of a few people, including my sister who have done experiences (Everest base camp, cycling in Asia) raising money for charity. They don't tell the donators that the big chunk of their money is going to pay for the trip! I can't trust any of these organisations to handle my money.

Just earn more money and pay more tax as that is given out to these causes.

Back
Top Bottom