Plan for the future or trip of a lifetime?

Associate
I'm 25, still live with my parents, have a steady job which doesn't pay all that much atm but should do in the future. Could afford to rent but choose not to because I don't mind living with my parents and they don't mind either. I would rather save for a mortgage although this seems like an impossible task right now. I have about £3000 saved and no debts.

I want to do a west coast road trip in America, starting from somewhere like Seattle travelling down to San Diego and then onto Vegas for a final few days there before going home. Could be anywhere between 1-2 months depending on how many places I want to stop at and for how long. I'm thinking about doing this on my own because my friends either don't have the money and/or have other commitments, its not set in stone but I can't think of anyone that would be able to join me.

So do I do this now while I'm still young(ish) and have the chance with no other commitments or just think of it as something for the future and sort my life out first?

Caporegime
Save it until you've got someone / some people to do the trip with. Splitting hotel/fuel/car costs will get you more for your money, and doing it on your own will probably not be the trip of a lifetime that you're after.

Man of Honour
If I could do it again both. Cheap house as early as possible and still travel. Spend less on other crape. The older I get the less I want in a house and the cheaper mortgagee I want. Kick myself for not getting a 60k flat a decade ago.

Associate
OP
Save it until you've got someone / some people to do the trip with. Splitting hotel/fuel/car costs will get you more for your money, and doing it on your own will probably not be the trip of a lifetime that you're after.

I would rather go with friends/family/gf?!?! but I can just imagine it never happening, other things happen and get in the way of it. Me and my friends always said from a young age that we would do it and the years have gone on and on and its never happened.

Man of Honour
Do other trips first, like backpacking tours. where you'll be in a mix of people. Fantastic time in Australia on my own for that.
Where toad trip you need some mates.

Soldato
I would rather go with friends/family/gf?!?! but I can just imagine it never happening, other things happen and get in the way of it. Me and my friends always said from a young age that we would do it and the years have gone on and on and its never happened.

I'd go with you, but I have a fear of random men on the internet :(

In relation to your question - i'd personally say to spend on the trip. You're far less likely to do it later. Though I hate travelling alone (never done it, but hate the idea of it), so wouldn't do it myself, but if you're ok with travelling alone, go for it!

Soldato
Do it, it's much harder to do later. I spent a sizeable sum on my Japan trip and arguably the money could be better spent when I was buying my flat but I don't regret it. I had the time of my life and I doubt I'll be able to repeat it any time soon. Go and enjoy yourself

- GP

Associate
Do the trip and make some memory's, you are young and believe me you dont want to regret things you didnt do when you had the chance to it, have fun while you have the disposable income as it might not last.

Associate
I went travelling at 30, spent 10 years on and off around the world. back in the UK now and everyone who didnt go wishes they had. Flip side for me was coming back with a wife and 2 kids at the age of 40 and getting a mortgage, friends are all 10 years paid off, Im 2 years paid off.
Dont regret a minute of it.

Associate
OP
I went travelling at 30, spent 10 years on and off around the world. back in the UK now and everyone who didnt go wishes they had. Flip side for me was coming back with a wife and 2 kids at the age of 40 and getting a mortgage, friends are all 10 years paid off, Im 2 years paid off.
Dont regret a minute of it.

Wow, fair play to you :)

Soldato
Go se asia by yourself. 3k in 2 month you will be able to live like a king and do many activities, parties etc.

This :D. £3k could last a long time if you go cheap, or a couple of months if you live like a king. The US will absorb £3k like you wouldn't believe, although if that's where you want to go, then go for it.

Go for it. I got back from 6 months around the world a couple of months ago and don't regret a minute of it (apart from the Shosholoza Meyl. Yeah, don't do that unless you get beds. Wasted a good 2 days in South Africa.)

People say you can still do it later in life, and it's true, you can but it's MUCH easier if you're living with parents. You can basically pack a backpack and go, no worries.

I've just got back into work and have moved out. I really want to be back out there at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
3 Months in Thailand I spend around £1600 which included accommodation, all travel, food drink and activities....

Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao, Koh Phangan, Koh Samui, Phi Phi, Railey, Tonsai, Bangkok, Laos (vang vieng) Bangkok, Koh Chang, Koh Phangan, Bangkok.

Trekking in Chiang Mai, 2 Phangan full moon parties, 1 full moon at tonsai, 1 black moon, 2 half moon and a jungle party. Open water PADI course at koh tao, rock climbing lessons for a few days, around 2 weeks of moped rental, 3 days of mountain bike rental, tubing for 5 days in Vang Vieng, Mui Thai boxing events a couple of times, many night out and fantastic meals.

I then arrived in Australia and it was $30 a day for moped rental instead of 90 bht (around £1.50 at the time)

edit - also, half the people I met who went with mates ended up going separate ways after a few weeks. Thats the joy of going by yourself, do what you want. If you meet people you get on with stay with them for a bit, if you dont like them just sack them off!

Associate
I'm 29 and my other half is 37 and we've just done a years travelling on motorbikes around half the world. We're heading back out for more soon but monies and time is against us - we're wanting to settle and have kids etc which will reduce our travelling abroad a bit (not by much though... heeeereee comes 4 wheels overlanding instead! ;D)

I would say if it's something you want to do, do it now! Even if you have stuff coming up and things to do, no time is a good time but the older you get, the more things get in your way :) As for those to join you, you will meet TONNES of people on the way. Sometimes it can be lonely by yourself and you miss that "wow, isn't this amazing" kind of sharing feeling. But don't let it stop you! Our good friend rode through South America on his tod and met a lady who he's now married to with 3 kiddies!! :)

If a big trip is too daunting, would you perhaps consider a smaller trip or even a working trip? Get a visa, work out where you want to go, meet like minded people and then travel with them?

Life will get in the way if you wait... both positively and negatively. When you have mortgages, a great job, a loving other half, potential of weddings and kids.... it gets tough to up and leave!

GO GO GO :D And tell us all about it! :D

Associate
As you have no commitments, I'd say go for it as you never know whats around the corner. Your only 25 so still have plenty of working time left to save for the future.

Back
Top Bottom