Plan for the future or trip of a lifetime?

Associate
I'm 25, still live with my parents, have a steady job which doesn't pay all that much atm but should do in the future. Could afford to rent but choose not to because I don't mind living with my parents and they don't mind either. I would rather save for a mortgage although this seems like an impossible task right now. I have about £3000 saved and no debts.

I want to do a west coast road trip in America, starting from somewhere like Seattle travelling down to San Diego and then onto Vegas for a final few days there before going home. Could be anywhere between 1-2 months depending on how many places I want to stop at and for how long. I'm thinking about doing this on my own because my friends either don't have the money and/or have other commitments, its not set in stone but I can't think of anyone that would be able to join me.

So do I do this now while I'm still young(ish) and have the chance with no other commitments or just think of it as something for the future and sort my life out first?

Associate
OP
Save it until you've got someone / some people to do the trip with. Splitting hotel/fuel/car costs will get you more for your money, and doing it on your own will probably not be the trip of a lifetime that you're after.

I would rather go with friends/family/gf?!?! but I can just imagine it never happening, other things happen and get in the way of it. Me and my friends always said from a young age that we would do it and the years have gone on and on and its never happened.

Associate
OP
I went travelling at 30, spent 10 years on and off around the world. back in the UK now and everyone who didnt go wishes they had. Flip side for me was coming back with a wife and 2 kids at the age of 40 and getting a mortgage, friends are all 10 years paid off, Im 2 years paid off.
Dont regret a minute of it.

Wow, fair play to you :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for sharing your experiences and advice, I'll give it some good thought and work out what I want to do!

g84a87414.jpg

Haha, that episode was on earlier! :D

Back
Top Bottom