Pharmaceutical Companies

Soldato
Yep,

I get tired of the Tinfoil hat accusing brigade.

Soon as you question society your tinfoil hat on is apparently...... no? i'm just looking at it logically and applying some rational thinking. Of course pharma co's are going to be committing fraud, just look at the new tamiflu findings.

TLDR, LOL HUMANITY.

Permabanned
OP
The problem is more the doctors than the pharmaceutical companies, they are the ones that are supposed to be prescribing people appropriate medications and are not doing so.

I wouldnt agree with this, as mentioned in the program... Even the Doctors with best intentions for the patients get "swayed" by those presentations where nearly always there will be an influential well known speaker singing praises to the product.

Doctors are not business people, and I am not sure they were taught as part of their degree to distinguish advertisement and money making scheme from genuine benefit to the patient scheme.

Maybe it is something we have to do.

Caporegime
It's the same with the food industry isn't it. You assume the food we eat is safe, and that claims of carcinogens are from the tinfoil hat brigade, until you hear doctors talking about all the food they've banned their kids from eating, due it being unsafe.

Permabanned
OP
It's the same with the food industry isn't it. You assume the food we eat is safe, and that claims of carcinogens are from the tinfoil hat brigade, until you hear doctors talking about all the food they've banned their kids from eating, due it being unsafe.

Yep,

I get tired of the Tinfoil hat accusing brigade.

Soon as you question society your tinfoil hat on is apparently...... no? i'm just looking at it logically and applying some rational thinking. Of course pharma co's are going to be committing fraud, just look at the new tamiflu findings.

TLDR, LOL HUMANITY.

Now now, dont get too excited.... The tin-foil brigade gets around 20% right and due to 80% being utter trash that 20% gets laughed at.

Soldato
I am referring to the issue of bribery.

And a small number will also be prone to this as a small number will always take the cheapest option and a larger number will prescribe the wrong thing in the first case. We've had cases since I've been on here of a GP who is a member of this forum saying something that he thought was correct but was actually very dangerous. Your speaking about an ideal that won't happen for many reasons.

Soldato
I'm not at all confident of the impartiality of doctors for certain aspects of treatment.

As an example, I've witnessed at close hand 3 work colleagues or friends trying to quit smoking. Doctors seem overly keen to push patches, and the NHS literature and phone apps or whatever all seems to be sponsored by patch companies.

And yet, all 3 acquaintances have quite visibly struggled for months to quit on patches and when all 3 later tried cold turkey, gave up with few problems beyond the tricky first couple of weeks (and those tricky weeks were only as bad as the whole of the time trying to give up with patches)

Looking at the stats, cold turkey is the runaway leader for success - so why do they push patches and tablets etc? Are they getting a kick-back for prescribing it?

I'm less concerned with treatments for more serious ailments, I should add.

Soldato
To the best of my knowledge they don't get a kickback on patches. I myself gave up using patches. I'd recommend them to anyone who had got it into their head that you don't ever give up smoking you become a non-smoker. Someone who has given up smoking still hang their identity on being a smoker if they err they are going back to their norm. If a non-smoker has a cigarette then that behaviour is a deviation away from the norm. It's a psychological viewpoint that shapes someone's response from I have failed I may as well go an buy 20 to what did I do that for and carry on without any sense of failure and no repetition.

Soldato
Just watched the documentary last night. Quite shocking but I guess it's only expected.

Surprised how naive some people are when it comes to this and assume it doesn't happen. Even on this forum you'll get quickly accused of being a conspiracy theory nut if you mention it

Soldato
Given the only health organisations (like WHO and the MHRA) who want electronic cigarettes banned or brought into the medicinal category are ones financed by Big Pharma tell you all you need to know about their genuine non-concern for health over profit.

Big Pharma don't exist to save as many lives as they can regardless of cost. They exist to make as much money as they can for their shareholders which necessitates making the occasional great product.

Soldato
Be careful you don't say anything a certain poster doesn't like otherwise he will have the thread locked making sure he had the last (biased and incorrect) word.

The NHS is making huge strides towards cutting out what could be seen as bribery to the point that medical reps are no longer bringing around free lunches on a Friday. This doesn't mean it hasn't switched to other tactics however.

There are certain drugs which have worse long term affects and ruin peoples lives, yet they are handed out like smarties. Any research that highlights this is quickly buried and the detractors called conspiracy theorists.

Associate
Recently read Bad Pharma by Dr. Ben Goldacre. Covers a lot of what has been said here. Pretty shocking that we have such weak legislation and crap regulatory bodies when it seems so clear what needs to be done.

Back
Top Bottom