Steam Summer sale - 19-30th June

Caporegime
Has Valve's change in the way the Wishlist prizes are allocated in the Summer Adventure thing messed up the Reddit "Everyone Work Together" thing?

Yeah and I added some points to the tally thinking it was purple's day. But then I realised the chance of actually winning anything is less than winning the lottery probably. :D

Soldato
Has Valve's change in the way the Wishlist prizes are allocated in the Summer Adventure thing messed up the Reddit "Everyone Work Together" thing? I thought today was meant to be the Purple Team's turn again but last time I checked Red were way out in front... Would be funny if so - "OMG! an extra 0.01% of the users might win 1 or 2 games, to hell with working together!!!"

"Operation EWT (Everyone work together)!
19th - PURPLE - Thursday
20th - RED - Friday
21st - GREEN - Saturday
22nd - PINK - Sunday
23rd - BLUE - Monday
24th - PURPLE - Tuesday
25th - RED - Wednesday
26th - GREEN - Thursday
27th - PINK - Friday
28th - BLUE - Saturday"

Actual so far:

Purple
Red
Green
Pink
Blue
Red

So Purple seem to have missed out. It might be a timezone thing that has got people confused. Is after 6pm on Wednesday Wednesday or Thursday?

What was the change in the way the prizes are allocated?

Oh I see..

Starting today, more people will win free games!
1st place team 30 team members who scored points will win 3 games
2nd place team 20 team members who scored points will win 2 games
3rd place team 10 team members who scored points will win 1 game

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a heads up, Final Fantasy 8 is also £3.39 as well a FF7 in the daily deals. I missed this last time as I didn't realise they reduced them both.

Soldato
Next Car Game is going el cheapo, £11.99, in my wish list so bought!

Just waiting on Assetto to go to £15, if not will buy at £21 and a DCS FC3, which is on sale at £11.99 but has not been in a flash or daily deal yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a heads up, Final Fantasy 8 is also £3.39 as well a FF7 in the daily deals. I missed this last time as I didn't realise they reduced them both.

Something very strange with it though, see this posted by a Steam member:

Best game ever!
Definitely buy it somewhere, like from a store! But...

DO NOT BUY IT HERE, AVOID!! Here is why: (besides that the music is terrible midi version and not the good ps1 version)

It is a 15 year old SINGLE PLAYER GAME. SQUARE have decided to finally put their prized games on steam...so why is that? why now? Unfortunately theyve gone down a dark and corrupt road...even as low as stealing...yes, i used the word stealing, because that's what this is.

You need to register your personal information, which is required to be able to login to their online client, so that you can play this single player game. DRM...oh but it goes a lot deeper than that. Afterall, why have DRM on a single player game?...

The terms and conditions of this unnecessary online integration, is THEY ARE SELLING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES AND OTHER COMPANIES AND INSTALLING SPYWARE. In this aspect the game shouldnt cost you anything as theyre already making the money off of your private information which they have no right to deny you access to the game after pre-taking your money.

But oh it gets worse...it also repeatedly installs a tracking cookie into your all your browsers in order to spy on your activity. Yes...spyware. You can remove them if you want, but they'll just keep re-installing themselves. (wtf Square...wtf)

It gets even worse!

Q: "But wait....if you buy it on Steam, does that mean i automatically agree to the terms?"
NO because you havent even seen or even knew about these terms and conditions, nor accepted them. They have taken your money ILLEGALLY first, and given you the agreement later.
^
This warrants a potential Class Action Lawsuit, which if it happens, i will be joining.
Square-Enix would not have a leg to stand on if people got organised enough to create this lawsuit against them.

Q: "I bought it, but didnt agree to these ridiculous terms...can i get my money back because i was mislead and missold this item?"
Legally you are entitled to a refund because you were, mislead, and tricked into buying something that had dangerous conditions given to you AFTER the sale, which is illegal.
But to answer your question,
NO, YOU JUST GOT ILLEGALLY ROBBED, SCREW YOU GIMME MONEY. YOU WANT YOUR MONEY BACK? YOU CANT HAVE IT BACK, AND NOBODY IN THE WORLD, INCLUDING STEAM IS GOING TO HELP YOU GET IT BACK ( i love you steam, but not helping people get refunds in this case, is again, an illegal procedure because YOU and SQUARE have not given any warning, any notice that these conditions exist before the sale). You just got robbed, and no authority on the internet has the balls to challenge this because "Big company" gets complete fkin immunity from the law.

Square has gone so down deep in greed and corruption, that they are taking your money, and NOT giving you your game until you accept their spyware and contractual agreement to sell your private information....and NOT giving you the money back if you do not agree to do so.

IV BEEN ROBBED, and have been refused my money back...having NOT been given the product i paid for.

Its criminal...anyone one of us would be arrested and either fined or given a small jail sentence, yet these guys are getting away with it like theyre above the law.

All the in-detail parts below

---EVIDENCE SECTION---
The agreement link: http://account.square-enix.com/agreement/eu/#
Your Privacy link: http://eu.square-enix.com/en/documents/privacy
(if you are in the US, you may have different links than these im a British European)

STORING YOUR INFORMATION: (this parts the same for most companies, straight forward)
Quote 1: (agreement link) "The Registered User agrees to keep the Square Enix Account information updated, current and secure. "
Quote 2: (agreement link, in cancellation) "any information in your Square Enix Account will be deleted and may not be recoverable. However, SQUARE ENIX reserves the right to maintain your account information for our records for a reasonable period of time."
Quote 3: (privacy link) "When you use the Service (such as when registering as a member and/or using our paid-for services), you may be asked to provide personal information that identifies you personally (including “personal data” and “sensitive personal data”, as defined in the Act). This may include your name, postal address, email address, telephone number, fax number, gender, date of birth, country and/or preferred language. From time to time, you may be asked to submit personal information in order to receive or use parts of the Service."

SELLING YOUR INFORMATION
Quote 1: (privacy link) "We may use personal information collected from the Service to enable your efficient use of the Service, as well as for marketing, promotions, research, analysis, product service and development. Where permitted, we may occasionally use your personal information to contact you by telephone, fax, email, SMS or otherwise in writing to inform you about our products.
...In any further marketing or promotional communications we send to you, we will give you the opportunity to withdraw your consent to receiving such communications in the future."
Quote 2: (privacy link) "We may also use your personal information for the purposes of:
-conducting surveys as to the quality of the Service or of parts of it;
-miscellaneous customer service correspondence (such as notifying you of changes to our products, content or services)"
Quote 3: (privacy link) "We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group of companies, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries"
Quote 4: (privacy link) "We may disclose your personal information to third parties where:
-they provide products, content or services to us in connection with your use of the Service
-we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets"

SPYWARE
Quote 1: (privacy link) "We may also collect certain anonymous usage data, such as pages visited and services used within the Service. This information is not personally identifiable information and generally is not aggregated with your personal information. If it is aggregated with personal information in a way that makes you personally identifiable, we will treat the aggregated information as personal information "
Quote 2: (privacy link) "Tracking technology and IP addresses
We may collect and process certain information about your device and your IP address, geolocation information, mobile network information, hardware model, device serial number, unique device identifier, operating system and browser type"
Quote 3: (privacy link) "Cookie technology
A "cookie" is a small text file deposited on your device when you access an online or mobile site. We may use cookies to monitor your use of the Service and to customise your experience of it."
The Big One, Quote 4: (privacy link) "Where we store your personal information
All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers hosted by us or third parties providing hosting, payment or other services for us.
The information we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"), including any destination where the privacy laws of the country concerned may be different and less protective than those of EEA countries. It may also be processed by personnel operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers."
^
Wow...a big 1990's style internet back door into my computer.

(theres more but it all wont fit!, go have a read to find more, because there's plenty more)
All this for a 15 year old single player game from the 90's...
Posted: 28 Dec, 2013 @ 1:03pm
Updated: 9 Jun @ 10:40pm

2.2k/2.4k people found it helpful, sounds like both games are a total AVOID on Steam at least.

Soldato
The Banner Saga looks like it could be fun, anyone played it?:p

Yes, excellent game. The last boss was mega hard, the game is shorter than I'd expect for it's type (10 -12 hours or so) and I really wish it had voice acting, but the art style is amazing, the story and characters are very interesting and the game play is really nicely designed.

Something very strange with it though, see this posted by a Steam member:

Best game ever!
Definitely buy it somewhere, like from a store! But...

DO NOT BUY IT HERE, AVOID!! Here is why: (besides that the music is terrible midi version and not the good ps1 version)

It is a 15 year old SINGLE PLAYER GAME. SQUARE have decided to finally put their prized games on steam...so why is that? why now? Unfortunately theyve gone down a dark and corrupt road...even as low as stealing...yes, i used the word stealing, because that's what this is.

You need to register your personal information, which is required to be able to login to their online client, so that you can play this single player game. DRM...oh but it goes a lot deeper than that. Afterall, why have DRM on a single player game?...

The terms and conditions of this unnecessary online integration, is THEY ARE SELLING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES AND OTHER COMPANIES AND INSTALLING SPYWARE. In this aspect the game shouldnt cost you anything as theyre already making the money off of your private information which they have no right to deny you access to the game after pre-taking your money.

But oh it gets worse...it also repeatedly installs a tracking cookie into your all your browsers in order to spy on your activity. Yes...spyware. You can remove them if you want, but they'll just keep re-installing themselves. (wtf Square...wtf)

It gets even worse!

Q: "But wait....if you buy it on Steam, does that mean i automatically agree to the terms?"
NO because you havent even seen or even knew about these terms and conditions, nor accepted them. They have taken your money ILLEGALLY first, and given you the agreement later.
^
This warrants a potential Class Action Lawsuit, which if it happens, i will be joining.
Square-Enix would not have a leg to stand on if people got organised enough to create this lawsuit against them.

Q: "I bought it, but didnt agree to these ridiculous terms...can i get my money back because i was mislead and missold this item?"
Legally you are entitled to a refund because you were, mislead, and tricked into buying something that had dangerous conditions given to you AFTER the sale, which is illegal.
But to answer your question,
NO, YOU JUST GOT ILLEGALLY ROBBED, SCREW YOU GIMME MONEY. YOU WANT YOUR MONEY BACK? YOU CANT HAVE IT BACK, AND NOBODY IN THE WORLD, INCLUDING STEAM IS GOING TO HELP YOU GET IT BACK ( i love you steam, but not helping people get refunds in this case, is again, an illegal procedure because YOU and SQUARE have not given any warning, any notice that these conditions exist before the sale). You just got robbed, and no authority on the internet has the balls to challenge this because "Big company" gets complete fkin immunity from the law.

Square has gone so down deep in greed and corruption, that they are taking your money, and NOT giving you your game until you accept their spyware and contractual agreement to sell your private information....and NOT giving you the money back if you do not agree to do so.

IV BEEN ROBBED, and have been refused my money back...having NOT been given the product i paid for.

Its criminal...anyone one of us would be arrested and either fined or given a small jail sentence, yet these guys are getting away with it like theyre above the law.

All the in-detail parts below

---EVIDENCE SECTION---
The agreement link: http://account.square-enix.com/agreement/eu/#
Your Privacy link: http://eu.square-enix.com/en/documents/privacy
(if you are in the US, you may have different links than these im a British European)

STORING YOUR INFORMATION: (this parts the same for most companies, straight forward)
Quote 1: (agreement link) "The Registered User agrees to keep the Square Enix Account information updated, current and secure. "
Quote 2: (agreement link, in cancellation) "any information in your Square Enix Account will be deleted and may not be recoverable. However, SQUARE ENIX reserves the right to maintain your account information for our records for a reasonable period of time."
Quote 3: (privacy link) "When you use the Service (such as when registering as a member and/or using our paid-for services), you may be asked to provide personal information that identifies you personally (including “personal data” and “sensitive personal data”, as defined in the Act). This may include your name, postal address, email address, telephone number, fax number, gender, date of birth, country and/or preferred language. From time to time, you may be asked to submit personal information in order to receive or use parts of the Service."

SELLING YOUR INFORMATION
Quote 1: (privacy link) "We may use personal information collected from the Service to enable your efficient use of the Service, as well as for marketing, promotions, research, analysis, product service and development. Where permitted, we may occasionally use your personal information to contact you by telephone, fax, email, SMS or otherwise in writing to inform you about our products.
...In any further marketing or promotional communications we send to you, we will give you the opportunity to withdraw your consent to receiving such communications in the future."
Quote 2: (privacy link) "We may also use your personal information for the purposes of:
-conducting surveys as to the quality of the Service or of parts of it;
-miscellaneous customer service correspondence (such as notifying you of changes to our products, content or services)"
Quote 3: (privacy link) "We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group of companies, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries"
Quote 4: (privacy link) "We may disclose your personal information to third parties where:
-they provide products, content or services to us in connection with your use of the Service
-we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets"

SPYWARE
Quote 1: (privacy link) "We may also collect certain anonymous usage data, such as pages visited and services used within the Service. This information is not personally identifiable information and generally is not aggregated with your personal information. If it is aggregated with personal information in a way that makes you personally identifiable, we will treat the aggregated information as personal information "
Quote 2: (privacy link) "Tracking technology and IP addresses
We may collect and process certain information about your device and your IP address, geolocation information, mobile network information, hardware model, device serial number, unique device identifier, operating system and browser type"
Quote 3: (privacy link) "Cookie technology
A "cookie" is a small text file deposited on your device when you access an online or mobile site. We may use cookies to monitor your use of the Service and to customise your experience of it."
The Big One, Quote 4: (privacy link) "Where we store your personal information
All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers hosted by us or third parties providing hosting, payment or other services for us.
The information we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"), including any destination where the privacy laws of the country concerned may be different and less protective than those of EEA countries. It may also be processed by personnel operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers."
^
Wow...a big 1990's style internet back door into my computer.

(theres more but it all wont fit!, go have a read to find more, because there's plenty more)
All this for a 15 year old single player game from the 90's...
Posted: 28 Dec, 2013 @ 1:03pm
Updated: 9 Jun @ 10:40pm

2.2k/2.4k people found it helpful, sounds like both games are a total AVOID on Steam at least.

Ah that blows, thanks for the heads up.

Soldato
Yes so it looks like the Red team have decided to screw everybody else over going by the current totals... I'm not that bothered as the chances of winning were very low, but it's certainly an interesting turn of events... How quickly people will turn on each other

Also about the FF7/FF8 thing - Is the guy not being slightly paranoid? Those sound like pretty common sorts of disclaimers that appear on a lot of the things we all sign up to

Soldato
my main concern with the sale so far is that were seeing so many items repeated already. It will be community choice one day, flash sale the next and then a main page sale item the day after.

It just seems to be a rotation of the same selection of games.

Hopefully now that were into the second week of the sale we can see some changes in the lineup.

Associate
I'm on Red team but i don't care about Steam Summer Ponzi Adventure Scheme.

How many days do we have left. 4 days i think, before the encore sale begins. But even so i know there will be repeats the next day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom