Moral conundrum please help

Associate
I dont see how this is a hard decision? Boohoo they made me wait. So what? Get over it.

You know it would be morally wrong to not inform them, thats why your asking other people their opinions. Contact them tell them they can arrange a pick up at a time that is good for you and be done with it.

Stop whining and being a baby.

Soldato
Contact the seller and thank them for their gift, it was very kind of them considering all the messing about they put you through. You will recommend them to all your friends.

Ball is now in their court and you can judge their morals by their reaction.

Soldato
If you feel like you deserve some sort of 'moral revenge' for being messed around with a long dispatch time, just tell them a convenient time for them to collect from you is 6pm on a Sunday or something.

Keeping items that don't belong to you isn't on though.

Soldato
The op strikes me as one of the hyperactive child types I deal with sometimes when selling stuff. The type who chases you sending it every 5 minutes, demands next day delivery, etc etc.

The op knows it is wrong to keep the item but is just trying to find justification somehow. As others have said, boo hoo you had to wait a bit for a package and the guy promptly refunded it. He was probably glad to be rid of you as a customer as you're probably overly picky too.

Caporegime
Why is no one linking to the appropriate guidelines?

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/engla...eived_goods_or_services_you_didnt_ask_for.htm

You should contact the seller and allow them to collect said goods. You are under no obligation to return them out of your own pocket.

Also note the bit at the bottom that outlines what you should do if they attempt to charge you for it - should they not want to bother arranging collection...

"If you receive a demand for payment for unsolicited goods or services, you can ignore it. If the trader does this, they may have committed a criminal offence under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. You should report the matter to your trading standards department through Citizens Advice."

P.S. What the hell is it?? :)

We shouldn't need guidelines, email the seller and advise them of what's happened. Pretty simple in my eyes really. Regardless of legalaties.

Associate
The op strikes me as one of the hyperactive child types I deal with sometimes when selling stuff. The type who chases you sending it every 5 minutes, demands next day delivery, etc etc.

Yes, these people are quite annoying and a headache to deal with but they're everywhere and is why I don't want to deal with selling stuff again, especially electronics.

Had a similar case of an item going to the wrong address a few doors up from where it should but the "good neighbour" kept it and denied signing for it even though we had their signature. Can't really remember what happened but I believe we had to send a replacement.

Caporegime
This is one of those "if you have to ask, you already know the answer" type questions.

If OP's conscience was totally clear, he wouldn't have made the thread.

Associate
Personally I'd contact the seller and let him know what's happened. However I wouldn't be sending the item back until they have paid you the cost of posting it back to him.

Soldato
If you don't contact the seller and return the goods, if you have any kind of conscience, then the thought that you turned over another human being will haunt you daily, and in your sleep through nightmares, until the rest of your life, probably turning you into a gibbering, drooling reflection of what you once were.

And when you die, you will spend the rest of eternity (which I understand is a really, REALLY long time) being spit roasted daily over an exceedingly hot fire by Satan's little helpers.

So, OP, the red pill, or the blue pill. Your choice.

Associate
I had something similar to this once,
Ordered a new PC case (CM 690 II) from a fairly well known supplier, the courier seemed to lose it!
Contacted the supplier who sent me out a new one and put in a claim against the courier (Citylink, Grrr), next day, case is delivered and all is well.

About a month later, one of our neighbors from about 10 doors down sheepishly turned up with a parcel for me saying he had forgotten about it, turned out to be the original case I had been sent out!

I didn't really have any use for two cases, so after having it sit around in my house for a month or so, I gave it to a friend who was just about to buy a new PC but was short on cash.
Had I not been aware that the supplier had opened a missing parcel claim, I probably would have phoned them in retrospect, but I have a feeling I would have been told to keep it since it had been over a month since they had submitted the claim.

I would suggest contacting the seller and finding out if they have put in a claim and go from there!

Soldato
I can't believe that this even needed a thread. If someone sends you two of something or an item that you cancelled then the correct response (even if they have messed you about) is to let them know and get them to arrange pickup at your convenience.

Anything other than the above makes you a giant douche and a worthless member of society.

Soldato
So for those painting theft as black and white, what would happen if he were to contact the seller and the seller wants it back but isn't willing to pay the postage. He's still left with the item without agreement from the seller.

Back
Top Bottom