The Official Samsung Galaxy Tab S Thread

Soldato
I have the option to get a 10.5 S from USA (works out about £315) but I am wary you get zero warranty. Is it worth saving?

With O2 Priority you can seem to get it for £374 in the UK (least that's the best I can see)

Was gonna wait to get my 8.4 from the US but decided to order it from the UK for the warranty (as i had issues with an old 10.1 years ago). Depends if you care about the warranty I guess.

Should be coming tomorrow :D Anyone got any suggestions on a case, looking at the official one but costs £40?!

PoD

PoD

Associate
OP
Had mine for a month now and I absolutely love it.

No slow down, battery life is great and the screen is sooo pleasant.

As a side note to the battery.
Without putting it into any of the high end saver modes, it lasts over 90 hours without using it, so with light usage you are looking at a good couple of days in between charge.

Soldato
Got mine yesterday and loving it so far :) Got a 64GB sd card waiting at home to put movies on (although gonna need to root it for the SD card issue) and case coming next week.

Installed a custom launcher on it but probably gonna go back to touchwiz as just not happy with it.

Associate
I've just done a search on Amazon and the Tab S seems to range from £325 to £420 for brand new units. Is there a catch for going for the cheaper end of the scale with 3rd-party sellers on Amazon? I've not done 3rd-party before, only dealt with official "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon" products so far.

I bought an item a few weeks ago from a third party which there was a problem with and I just went through the usual excellent returns system that Amazon use and it was very straight forward. The only thing which I don't know if it makes a difference or not was that the item came under Prime even though it wasn't coming from them them.

Soldato
The only thing which I don't know if it makes a difference or not was that the item came under Prime even though it wasn't coming from them them.

That makes all the difference, Prime means the item is fulfilled by Amazon, this have the same returns policy if the item was direct from Amazon. Those items are stored in Amazon's warehouse and come with Amazon packaging.

Full on 3rd party items won't have this policy or packaging.

Associate
That makes all the difference, Prime means the item is fulfilled by Amazon, this have the same returns policy if the item was direct from Amazon. Those items are stored in Amazon's warehouse and come with Amazon packaging.

Full on 3rd party items won't have this policy or packaging.

That's interesting as I thought the item hadn't came from Amazon as didn't come with the usual amazon receipt (no receipt at all actually) or Amazon logo box. Another thing was that when I was processing the return there were options for "refund" or "replacement," however when I tried to click on replacement I was told this option wasn't available as they weren't able to determine third party stock levels.
What you say makes sense though as I wondered how they were able to cover return costs and refund my card so quick.

Mobster
Soldato
Something interesting about Prime items that I discovered the other day:

They aren't necessarily stored in Amazon's UK warehouses: they can come from their other European warehouses also, e.g. Germany.

I know this because I got a Prime item the other day that had a two day dispatch time, which, as it turned out, was because the item was coming from Belgium.

According to Amazon support, if the item isn't available right away, it's a good indication that it's not coming from the UK.

Soldato
Had mine for a little over a month and I think it's a great device, but marred with a fair bit of bloatware that comes with Touchwizz with the odd stutter here and there. Will be looking to debloat and try and make it much faster, I've already replaced the launcher with Nova which has speeded up the device a bit.

The screen's nothing short of amazing and the battery life is fairly great.

A good device.

Associate
I love this device purely because of the screen, watching films in bed on this is amazing. Girlfriend has an iPad Air and while it's much slicker browsing the web, and the user interface in general is much smoother, I cringe watching films on that 4:3 aspect ratio with the backlight bleed, and grey blacks in a dark room.

I absolutely hate the lag and stutter though. The fairly weak gpu (which seems to struggle with the resolution) and horrendous bloat is doing this tablet no favours.

I can live with the stutter etc as literally all I do is tend to navigate netflix, showbox and youtube so it's not a major pain.

No doubt we'll get an updated amoled tablet within 6 months with better specs, and I'll end up selling this to upgrade.

Last edited:
Soldato
Since i went over to Nova launcher and disabled lots of bloatware I can't really complain, using the Android L transitions it doesn't seem that bad now, why they never put a snapdragon 800 in this is beyond me.

At first I was tempted to get rid and just stick with an Ipad air, but after messing on my mates and being used to a superior screen I decided to stick with this.

Associate
I was really tempted to go for one of these at the weekend as all the major review companies are giving it pretty much the thumbs up, however some user reviews are starting to make me wonder...

Is the lag really noticeable? I have read about some lag when browsing sites and transitioning around the OS, people seem to be blaming the high ram usage.

Soldato
I was really tempted to go for one of these at the weekend as all the major review companies are giving it pretty much the thumbs up, however some user reviews are starting to make me wonder...

Is the lag really noticeable? I have read about some lag when browsing sites and transitioning around the OS, people seem to be blaming the high ram usage.

The device is quite laggy but that's what is expected with Touchwiz and the amount of bloatware Samsung insist on having on board. I've frozen all the bloat and uninstalled the updates for the bloatware and installed Nova and the tablet is running quite smoothly now.

Back
Top Bottom