• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Soldato
If the "budget" 980's from MSI without the Titan style cooler are substantially cheaper than a standard 980 and at least 20% faster than a 780 Ti then I'll snap up 2.
But them black budget coolers may also far louder then a titan cooler..
Plus I bet the cards run hotter with that black cooler vs the titan cooler..

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you lot paint your nails to match the inside of your cases too? I remember when men were men and the aesthetics weren't even considered. Beige towers, mmm.

Last edited:
Associate
Still wonder if EK has been part of the NDA too, would be awesome if water blocks where available for these cards as soon as they come out.

If the price is right then the 980 may be the new card from my 570 !

TUnYIGj.gif

Those of us on pre 600 series have probably been like this on the eve of each launch since... but managing to resist:o

Will Gibbo make us crack this time:eek::D

Caporegime
Same here Greg:)

Has there been any hint at availability of blocks? I guess hoping for simultaneous availability would be too much:o:D

On a side note this is my first chance to check out the forum today... at work I was wondering what new info had surfaced during the day and on checking for the latest noticed a few things a miss:p
...can I assume something hit the fan:eek::D

Water blocks won't be far off and nothing untoward happened :D

Associate
Has that been your stop gap until these launch? not long to wait now mate:)

More like start, but that 580 I've got feels dated in games like Metro Last Light, would have preferred 980 TI now with 50% more power than 980, that would do me nicely until they release Volta...

Soldato
If the "budget" 980's from MSI without the Titan style cooler are substantially cheaper than a standard 980 and at least 20% faster than a 780 Ti then I'll snap up 2.

20% faster than a GTX 780 Ti seems like wishful thinking doesn't it?

I would be surprised at 10%+ across the board with both cards maxed, be interest to see a review where both cards were clock at their limits. That's what I'm really interested in as I have no intention of ever running a GPU @ stock.

Caporegime
Soldato
20% faster than a GTX 780 Ti seems like wishful thinking doesn't it?

According to the benchmarks seen so far it looks right, avg of 13% faster than the 780ti with some games hitting 20%+, avg of 16% faster than the 290X with some games hitting 30%, also the 970 averages 1.5% faster than the 290X at 2/3 the power consumption.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sooooo...

Is the 970/980 pitched against the 770/780 as a replacement or are they just using the same number run?

From the early benchmarks it looks like the 970 is pitched against the 780 GHz and R290X so replacing the 780, and the 980 is pitched just over the 780ti so is replacing it.

This is stock clocked cards with what must be early drivers ofc, no telling what custom cards and driver refinements will do to the mix.

Back
Top Bottom