*** NZXT SOURCE S340 MID-ATX CASE OWNERS THREAD ***

Associate
Wish I got one of these over the Prodigy I know can't return which I bought a few weeks back, fingers crossed for winning one! I envisage a white case with pastel blue coolant!

Last edited:
Caporegime
X99 build started.

2015-02-22212540_zps21777766.jpg

2015-02-22212550_zps0a897c22.jpg

2015-02-22212735_zpsab4db109.jpg

2015-02-22212559_zps0f4dd277.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
my brother (wanderer89 on here) bought this case and he got me to build it for him

got to say i have had my fair share of cases over the years, never spent more than £120 on a case (Silverstone FT03) but got to say for the price the NZXT Source S340 was a brilliant case to work with.
tons of room, the Power supply bay along with the ssd holders on top were a brilliant idea on NZXT's part
but for the money the build quality was amazing and it was nice getting a case with a window and the perspex/clear window was not marked in anyway

if this was £89 i would still say go for it, but for under £60.. i would not look elsewhere

Associate
Well I have a box on my left here, it says NZXT on it, and inside is a white S340.

I am planning on putting the following in this.

Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550
GA-EP45-DS3P LGA775 Rev A3 ATX motherboard
Corsair XMS2-8500 8GB (4x2) 1066MHz DDR2
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB PCI-E Toxic Edition graphics card
Corsair HX-450w PSU

Later from another PC I will add,
Seasonic X-650w power supply
MSI Twin Frz 7950 GPU
Noctua NH-U12S cooler maybe

Will be purchasing at some point,
SSD
240mm AIO cooler
Some lighting
Cakes

Associate
Awesome!! Let us know how you get on, photos would be great :p

Only fitted the motherboard so far. Tempted to put my main PC on hold and add a few more bits here 1st.
Even thinking of a new PSU instead of my old Seasonic X series just so I can add a Cablemod kit.

Also thinking this old motherboard is ugly enough, adding the Noctua may be a bit too much colour variation, the CoolerMaster 240M with it's LGA 775 brackets and low noise will probably be a better bet.

I only recently bought my main system a new Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL case, but have to say I am loving the simplicity of the S340 and value for money, it simply draws my attention away from the priorities.

2015-02-25%2022.29.56.jpg

Associate
I've got mine up and built now. A bit of a tricky one getting all my cabling stuffed in the back, but it just about fits and looks very nice everywhere you can actually see anything important. Very nice to work with and looks much better than what it's replacing - nice and compact and modern.

I was going to install a GRID+ fan controller at the same time but as soon as I powered that on for the first time, there was a worrying smell and a puff of smoke out of it's vents, no fans spinning at all! So back to the drawing board (and the retailer) on that one!

Associate
Is the mesh on the back fan flat or does it stand up so you could not use a magnetic filter?

It sadly stand's up a little bit, I don't think a magnetic filter would work. Anyone using one?

I've been using this case for the last couple of months now, and am absolutely loving it. For the price point, I feel it gives great value for money. It provides the means to build a clean and tidy computer and I think is very pleasant to look at. So thanks NZXT, you have one happy customer here.

Pic's will follow, it's a little too dark now in my flat!

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the info Nath was thinking about using the back as a intake with a filter so thats that blown hehe.

Associate
Currently in the process of building myself a new gaming PC. I have to say this case is the best looking case I have came across. I think if I go with the case I'll also get a Kraken x31, hopefully since I've never had a liquid cooler it shouldn't be too tricky to install :)

Associate
Just ordered this from OCUK. Will be relocating my current system into it and adding the X61, X41, and a G10. I ordered the Matte/Red version. Will post pictures of the build once I get all the parts.

Associate
Just ordered a white one. The few reviews I have read about it had me sold.

Right now I have a white Corsair 500R. It's a great case, but there's a ton of wasted space inside it, especially now since I no longer have any optical drives.

I had a slight concern about fitting in two graphics cards, but from what I've read there seems to be enough space while still allowing adequate airflow, so long as you don't use the very bottom PCI-E slot on an ATX board.

Last edited:
Associate
Just ordered a white one. The few reviews I have read about it had me sold.

Right now I have a white Corsair 500R. It's a great case, but there's a ton of wasted space inside it, especially now since I no longer have any optical drives.

I had a slight concern about fitting in two graphics cards, but from what I've read there seems to be enough space while still allowing adequate airflow, so long as you don't use the very bottom PCI-E slot on an ATX board.

Same here! Moving my system from a black 500R to this. The 500R is really big and I'm no longer running SLi. Don't want to go mITX just yet because I want to keep my current system and leave the big upgrade for SKylake CPUs and Mobos.

Associate
Well sadly my build is not happening.

I had bought a Cooler Master Nepton 240M cooler, due to it having 775 compatability.

But during fitting, even after reading the not that clear instructions and watching a couple of youtube fitting guides, one of the stand offs for the motherboard managed to somehow cut in and create a short, damaging the motherboard beyond repair.

Spent today checking my memory/cpu/gpu/ssd. Memory, cpu and gpu are booting up, but I will need to do a rebuild in another Windows PC though to run memory diagnostics and check the SSD.

Sadly, so far the SSD seems corrupt, it has been stuck on a Windows 10 reset at 66% for around an hour so far.

As such my NZXT S340 will be residing within the loft for some time, at least until I find another decent LGA775 P45 ATX motherboard or a new ATX motherboard/cpu/ram.

Gutted.

Edit, the Cooler Master Nepton 240M is working fine, just checked it externally with a molex to fan header, but damn I have lost confidence in that item. I had followed the instructions and screwed those headers in with my fingers, but I was not expecting those stand offs to be so detrimental to my motherboards health.

I think their instructions need some work, or the fittings may need to be a bit more noob friendly. Nothing in the instructions or CM video I watched even mentioned the stand off orientation or fact that they can be tightened but may not be fully seated, or to watch for motherboard contact with the edges of the stand offs when screwing them in. I also think thumb screws may have been a better option over screws for block fitting, as at least you would get a better feel for the fitting.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Spent today checking my memory/cpu/gpu/ssd. Memory, cpu and gpu are booting up, but I will need to do a rebuild in another Windows PC though to run memory diagnostics and check the SSD.

Sadly, so far the SSD seems corrupt, it has been stuck on a Windows 10 reset at 66% for around an hour so far.

As such my NZXT S340 will be residing within the loft for some time, at least until I find another decent LGA775 P45 ATX motherboard or a new ATX motherboard/cpu/ram.

Gutted.

Edit, the Cooler Master Nepton 240M is working fine, just checked it externally with a molex to fan header, but damn I have lost confidence in that item. I had followed the instructions and screwed those headers in with my fingers, but I was not expecting those stand offs to be so detrimental to my motherboards health.

So the standoffs for the bracket from the CoolerMaster 240M have pushed into the back of the Mobo and cut track? Did they not alight to a backplate of some sort? Either way totally gutted for you :mad:

Are you testing the components on this board or a completely different PC?

Associate
So the standoffs for the bracket from the CoolerMaster 240M have pushed into the back of the Mobo and cut track? Did they not alight to a backplate of some sort? Either way totally gutted for you :mad:

Are you testing the components on this board or a completely different PC?

Not the back, at the front, upper right CPU block stand off. The copper tracks on my motherboard are like many, slightly raised. I tightened these by hand, and it looks like the edge of the stand off just cut through the motherboard insulation, creating a short, and destroying the motherboard when I powered it up.

It all looked fine, the CM backplate is great with little plastic clips holding the bolts in place etc, it just wobbles a bit when I tightened the stand off's as there was not much room, and when I screwed the CPU block in place a couple of the stand off's turned a bit.
The cooler itself seems great, very quiet, it's just the stand off insulators and instructions that are in question.

I will try an add a picture of the motherboard damage later, you can see a cresent shaped abrasion line on the tracks I mention.

It was looking rather nice for such an old system, I had added a Samsung 840, but just an old GPU and PSU for the test, with the RGB lighting with a remote, it powered up, nice RGB led showcasing the interior with a white glow, then a pffft noise and smell of burning.

For this I had also decided I was getting a new EVGA 750w G2 PSU and white Cablemod cables, with a 250gb and 500gb Crucial BX SSD pairing, two Samsung F3 1tb may have been going in too. And one of my old MSI 7950's.
I had the PSU and SSD in a basket, as I was going to add an item or two, but had been distracted with working on the PC. Lucky as that would have been another couple of hundred pounds worth of PC parts joining the now not needed NZXT case, Phobya RGB lighting, and Nepton 240M :(

I feel that CM's stand off's are at fault here, whether I am right or wrong I do not know, but it is certainly CM's fault the instructions do not mention stand off orientation as this could lead to exactly what I have experienced. Their little plastic insulator on the stand off is very small and thin, and held on by gum, it also moves when tightening, as I had to reposition one of mine.

Sadly when I wrote an email to Cooler Master UK looking for some sort of feedback or advice, they never bothered replying :(

Back
Top Bottom