Riding with pillion for first time.

Soldato
As title I will be taking a pillion with me for the first time and I would like some advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RSMlyAVJmM

I watched that video which was really good.

I did have the person ill be taking on the back just to sit on the bike, just to see if she could get on it. She's quite short and I guess weighs about 50kgs.
I was surprised how the suspension went down and how the bike just felt noticeable heavier. Does that weight disappear once you start moving?

Associate
If you have suspension adjustment (preload) you might want to stiffen it up a bit at the back.

For general advice, you want to be thinking like a chauffeur. Imagine you're driving a groom and bride to their reception, and they have glasses of champagne on the go. Be smooth as possible, leave lots of breaking distance to the car in front, no sudden acceleration etc. Take corners slowly to start, not too much lean. You'll feel the extra weight on smaller bikes, so tell your pillion to lean with the bike, sit straight up from it and not to counter-lean. Allot of pillions will do this from nerves and it upsets the bike. You've probably got one or two goes with a new pillion before you put them off for good, so be gentle.

Once you both have your confidence up you'll start to see things improve nicely, but it will take a few runs before that happens. It'll be a learning curve for you both. If its going to be a regular thing make sure she gets geared up properly.

Last edited:
Caporegime
you can adjust the suspension compression a touch,allow greater distance for braking and the force of the pillion pressing against you

have htem sit still on the machine and not fidget around and lean with the machine/rider into the corners

Soldato
OP
I have a Triumph Tiger 800xc, which should be pretty good bike for having a pillion on. Lots of good advice here, keep it coming. Never adjusted the suspension before, is it important for me to do it.

Man of Honour
Some sort of communication to pull over. Pre arranged tap here or something.
And makes sure they do what ever you do. Which is why arms around you is better.

Soldato
Also if they're holding onto you, get them to brace against the tank with one hand when you're braking, stops helmet clashing and them banging up against the back of you!

Associate
And makes sure they do what ever you do. Which is why arms around you is better.

I disagree with that. I'd rather have the pillion do what the bike does and use pillion grabs. Having someone clinging to your waist, restricting your movement and banging lids every time you break isn't going to help.

Soldato
What i use with my lady friend 60kg ish and 5'9, is, re-adjust whilst moving in a straight line only, if stopped then warn me first, do not fidget in corners and move head over the shoulder in the direction the corner is heading, this is progressing to more lean with me the more and often we ride. Two taps left leg means slow down, and squeeze legs against me and bike when braking to stop sliding forwards. Pat belly for pull over/ need a wee, tap right leg if comfortable to speed up. Smoothness is absolute key, be on the brakes sooner and longer for comfort of you both, be smooth and progressive with the throttle and clutch, changing gears will be clunky and jerky to start with until you get the used to the rhythm.

My other pillion friend she weighs 50kg or less and 5'2 and i can throw the bike around pretty well with her on the back, still notice she is there buts its a lot and need to be smoother but once really moving its kind of easy to forget she is there. That extra height and 20 kg makes a huge difference. No particular rules as she never wants to slow down or get off. Just repeated taps on sides if she needs us to stop or pull over.

Soldato
Riding with a pillion sucks in general, less responsive, harder braking, they sit on your arse, feels like a barge in corners... don't do it! :p

I disagree, if done right (practice with that person to develop a smooth style) then it can be very enjoyable and rewarding to your riding style, Iv learnt so much about cornering and progressive smooth accelerating and general riding from carrying pillions.

Soldato
Also if they're holding onto you, get them to brace against the tank with one hand when you're braking
Disagree with that part, as it usually takes too long for them to let go and move hand forward. It can also upset their (and consequently your) balance as they move, does not work so well if they have short arms and does not work at all for a large percentage of bikes where the tank does not have a hump.

My ideal is a backrest or padded topbox, where they can gain the confidence to just sit back and be a nice, unmoving sack of potatoes.

Associate
Make sure your insurance has cover in place for a pillion, i'm surprised it hasn't been said above yet as a lot of policies exclude it.

Associate
I recently started carrying the gf pillion on my Speed Triple. I can only get one foot down at a time anyway, so it's... interesting :p

Really helps if they have good balance. Easier to keep the bike upright, rather than them hanging off like a sack of spuds :)

Main thing I noticed was the extra braking time. Acceleration isn't really affected much for me, but u need to allow a lot of extra braking time. And just try to be smooooth :) Oh, I also use more back brake.

Back
Top Bottom