• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who is skylake aimed at?

Soldato
Intel have bumped the price up £50 and removed the cooler, who exactly are they thinking will buy skylake when it's now in the same price bracket as a low end x99 system?

C64

C64

Soldato
It's aimed at the type of people who have "gaming chairs".

And who like the plasticy looking garish design of the motherboards today with big symbols "gamer edition" "extreme" written all over it to go with their plasticy gamer cases.

Last edited:
Associate
It's going to be £260 for an i7 and £180 for an i5 once the excitement has died down. It will also be about £60 for a cheap motherboard and £50 for 8 gigs of ddr4. It's for the mainstream.

C64

C64

Soldato
It's going to be £260 for an i7 and £180 for an i5 once the excitement has died down. It will also be about £60 for a cheap motherboard and £50 for 8 gigs of ddr4. It's for the mainstream.

it's already £50 for 8gb ddr4, see how they tempt you in ? :D

Associate
It's aimed at the type of people who have "gaming chairs".

And who like the plasticy looking garish design of the motherboards today with big symbols "gamer edition" "extreme" written all over it to go with their plasticy gamer cases.

Kind of like the "sniper" motherboards with gun shaped heatsinks

Soldato
What is skylake-e i read about, and when might it land?

The new gen mobos, what additional features do they bring with the chipset as standard?
Ddr4 seems to be one, but on limited amount of slots?
What else?

Soldato
Price will drop slightly I imagine, pretty much just a die shrink but with better gfx and other tweaks isn't it? The platform has more PCIe lanes 16 on cpu for gfx and 20 on chipset? Nice for gaming and m.2 drives, satae etc. Had a look over them, DDR4 is a bit meh, but don't need expensive sticks for gaming, the MSI gaming 7, I think it is, nice mobo 2x m.2, think you can raid them also.

The upgrade seems to be the platform more than the chip, and the market would best suit anyone who hasn't upgraded in a few years. I may get one if I can't wait for Zen, expect price to fall somewhat over the following months.

Back
Top Bottom