Why do Payroll/HR still act like they're....

Soldato
...using pens, paper and telegrams and not modern technology that allows me to do things like transfer money instantly or spreadsheets which can be quickly updated & corrected?

So basically, the overtime I did at the end of December hasn't been put through, admin error which isn't my fault. I'm now being told by Payroll that even if my boss authorises it today (a full 8 days before pay day) it's "too late" and I won't get it until next month.

After a very expensive January this isn't really acceptable and will now mean I'll have to borrow towards the end of next month.

My question though is why do Payroll/HR still have rules in place that made sense 20 years ago but with today's technology/work practices seem simple. Surely it's as simple as typing a different number into some programme somewhere and correcting my pay amount surely?

Anyone who works in a payroll or similar and know why things like "cut-off" dates still exist?

Associate
Because if you did that they'd start having to get rid of people.

Automation = less workers needed.

God if only we were allowed to automate everything in my department we'd have made 3/4's of the workforce redundant by the end of the year.

Associate

God if only we were allowed to automate everything in my department we'd have made 3/4's of the workforce redundant by the end of the year.

Exactly this, payroll at some places I've worked at are just the worst people on earth.

Will always try and hold the company or it's employee's to hostage.

Caporegime

is it public sector or is there some union presence preventing that?

Soldato
Yup, no need. We use Xero and although we're a small company it's completely automated. It knows how much everyone's paid, when our pay period runs from/to, when our pay day is and it pays our employees and our NICs automatically.

The only manual input would be for bonuses which we could amend up until it actually all goes through. We use the same system for employees to request holiday and have it approved so it knows that along with sick leave etc anyway.

As you say, it's old timers clinging onto their job.

Soldato
Employers have to send HMRC their payroll processing every time they pay staff, which means going back and correcting is a pain in the arse.

They could run another payroll run and pay you your overtime, but it would probably mess with their system a bit (which is probably set up for monthly payroll only) and is also a pain in the arse.

Here, if it were the mistake of payroll, then an "advance" of next month's pay would be sent over, and the overtime processed through payroll with the next processing run, with a deduction made to the amount advanced.

But we're a medium company (approx 70 employees), and have a bit more flexibility.

Soldato
Anyone who works in a payroll or similar and know why things like "cut-off" dates still exist?

We work under this as well, Pay run is submitted by 18th at the latest, months payslip can be seen from between 21st-23rd depending on day of week, so any claims or allowances must be submitted before 18th or earlier depending on if it lands on week day/weekend, or we have to wait till the following month for it to kick in, it can be a bonus as much as it can be a pain, but like you said, in this day and age, with the technology we have why is this still an issue.

Man of Honour
Employers have to send HMRC their payroll processing every time they pay staff, which means going back and correcting is a pain in the arse.

They could run another payroll run and pay you your overtime, but it would probably mess with their system a bit (which is probably set up for monthly payroll only) and is also a pain in the arse.

Here, if it were the mistake of payroll, then an "advance" of next month's pay would be sent over, and the overtime processed through payroll with the next processing run, with a deduction made to the amount advanced.

But we're a medium company (approx 70 employees), and have a bit more flexibility.

Yeah I dunno the ins and outs of it but working for a fair sized company a certain amount is sent off the head office, HMRC, etc. once the month is processed which would have to be redone hence they are reluctant to make last minute adjustments, etc.

Associate
is it public sector or is there some union presence preventing that?

I couldn't tell you tbh.

Though where I am most of the workfarce are dinosaurs, do the bare minimum of work with no forward thinking, they're only hanging on for a pension.

You start suggesting that you can automate x, y and z and you'll quickly get shut down whilst watching managment break a sweat.

Caporegime
For larger companies its usually linked to other deadlines or external processes. We are paid at the end of each month, but the cut off for expenses and any other non standard Payroll items is about the 17th as the payroll data is then collated, approved, and shipped out to the external company that manages our pay runs. The Payrol Journal is then posted back through our financial systems so that the figure is in ready for month end.

Soldato
OP

Fair point but surely these are submitted AFTER pay day, not over a week before it?

For larger companies its usually linked to other deadlines or external processes. We are paid at the end of each month, but the cut off for expenses and any other non standard Payroll items is about the 17th as the payroll data is then collated, approved, and shipped out to the external company that manages our pay runs. The Payrol Journal is then posted back through our financial systems so that the figure is in ready for month end.

You're lucky, ours is paid a month in arrears. So if you did over time on January 1st, you don't get it paid until the end of February.

Soldato
...using pens, paper and telegrams and not modern technology that allows me to do things like transfer money instantly or spreadsheets which can be quickly updated & corrected?

So basically, the overtime I did at the end of December hasn't been put through, admin error which isn't my fault. I'm now being told by Payroll that even if my boss authorises it today (a full 8 days before pay day) it's "too late" and I won't get it until next month.

After a very expensive January this isn't really acceptable and will now mean I'll have to borrow towards the end of next month.

My question though is why do Payroll/HR still have rules in place that made sense 20 years ago but with today's technology/work practices seem simple. Surely it's as simple as typing a different number into some programme somewhere and correcting my pay amount surely?

It depends on who you work for, most small firms can adjust the payroll to within a few days of you getting paid.

Big firms however often outsource the actual payroll function to companies like EDP who process things like how much tax and NI you pay and send a file to the bank once a month to get everyone paid on the companies behalf. More often then not these payroll cut off times are imposed by them not your local HR people and the reason for that is that there doing payroll for lots firms not just yours and they don't want to keep having to put through adjustments after finalising the payroll for the month just because you were late submitting your overtime.

Soldato
Fair point but surely these are submitted AFTER pay day, not over a week before it?

No, they have to be submitted on or before pay day, so you generally do the RTI update when you process the payroll - so I do mine ~ 1 week before payday

If there is a cut off because they process the payroll at X date, then yes it's a PITA to do, but if they haven't processed the payroll yet your right, it's no problem to change.

Associate
Indeed, the school I work in outsources the pay roll to an outside company. Sure, there are support contracts in place that allow last minute changes, but if you go for the cheap (which we do) we need everything in place 10 days before the actual payment. The reason for this is so that the outside company can manage their timeframes and workflows.

Back
Top Bottom