Why do Payroll/HR still act like they're....

Associate
Something similar and equally moronic here.
Get paid on the 20th of the month, they only count overtime up until the 30th/31st of the previous month for inclusion in the following pay.
So any overtime from 1st up until the 20th won't get approved until the 30th for pay on the following 20th. Overtime done on 1st Jan for example you won't see until 20th Feb as the worst case.

Reasoning? It's easier for the person who's approving it as she 'i've just always done it on the last day of the month'. I asked how long a change or approval gets added to payroll, it appears its 48 hours. Clearly the other 18 days are just for show.

/rant over

Soldato
Employers have to send HMRC their payroll processing every time they pay staff, which means going back and correcting is a pain in the arse.

They could run another payroll run and pay you your overtime, but it would probably mess with their system a bit (which is probably set up for monthly payroll only) and is also a pain in the arse.

Here, if it were the mistake of payroll, then an "advance" of next month's pay would be sent over, and the overtime processed through payroll with the next processing run, with a deduction made to the amount advanced.

But we're a medium company (approx 70 employees), and have a bit more flexibility.

This pretty much.

There's also sometimes some restriction on accounting/payroll systems that would cause issues. But as said, an advance could be processed here and a lot of places i'm sure.

OP: Could you not juggle your accounts this month and rob Peter to pay Paul? I know you feel as though you shouldn't have to, but you could just get on with things and stop faffing about it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its the same to a greater or lesser extent in many areas, the amount of flak i get in work for using something so heady and complicated as conditional formatting in excel beggars beleif.

The issue is as you go up the chain you get more and more demanding of simple answers in the form of a big green box with a tick in it, anything more than that and it seems to send their brains into some kind of overload.

I'd blame it on age but tbh i know enough old folks with an eye for detail and complexity to know thats not the case, maybe its just a corporate thing

Back
Top Bottom