Save the NHS!

Soldato
Bumping up Doctors salaries with overtime payments is antiquated and needs to go. From some of the posts here and hearing from other Junior Doctors/Senior Doctors many of them are working incredibly long hours which is actually a danger to the very patients they care about.

I don't know about the rest of you but I want my Doctors to be at their best and with clear thought when dealing with life and death situations.

For the study required to be a Doctor, the basic 1st year pay is actually pathetic :(

I think the NHS does need to wake up and adapt to a 7 day service but our Doctors need to be paid a wage that reflects their responsibility, knowledge and skill.

Permabanned
I know they don't but the full service should be available 7 days a week. All departments and the pay should reflect a Doctors skill set and knowledge. Instead of paying silly money on overtime.

If you want to offer all services seven days a week then you need to fund it and staff it.

Hunt is not doing that.

Man of Honour
lol the "I'm not a gynaecologist" image doing the rounds about Hunt is kind of funny.

EDIT: My FB feed is filling up with some actual hilarious placards.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Why does it need to be available 7 days a week? A&E is a 24x7 service, what's wrong with having an operation scheduled on a Tuesday instead of a Saturday?

Man of Honour
I think the NHS does need to wake up and adapt to a 7 day service

just fallen for tory spin hook, line and sinker

you already have a 24/7 NHS! just go to A+E and see for yourself!
what the public doesn't have is a 7 day routine NHS.

if one has a brain bleed/heart attack/stroke/septicaemia/ijustgottapapercut/etc, you WILL get seen AND treated.
what you won't have are routine appointments over the weekend because the government wont budget for it.

and besides, a few areas experimented with 7 day appointments, and guess what, most patients didnt want these appointments - better to see routine stuff in their employers time than their own free time.

Associate
Why does it need to be available 7 days a week? A&E is a 24x7 service, what's wrong with having an operation scheduled on a Tuesday instead of a Saturday?

This is a point I keep coming back to. It doesn't matter whether you have your hip replaced on a tuesday or a saturday. The rehab and physio will be the same regardless and you're not back to work the following monday.

Demand for GP surgeries on a sunday has been so woeful as people want to waste their employers time rather than theirs that half of those trialing these have stopped it

A better way to cut waiting lists is to employ more staff altogether, increase operating and clinic capacity... but theyre not willing/able to do this.

Soldato

Err because there is already long wait times on lots of services. I have been debating creating a thread on here about my recent experience with the Scottish NHS but not sure if it would be considered a medical thread.

I have the deepest respect for Nurses/Doctors, pretty much everyone involved in the NHS but I am not blind to the glaring issues and time taken to be seen.

OldCoals I completely agree, it needs to be funded. Those working in the NHS more than deserve to be paid well for what they do but I bet there is a tonne of old methods and efficiency that could be improved on, instead of hitting the front line.

Soldato
just fallen for tory spin hook, line and sinker

you already have a 24/7 NHS! just go to A+E and see for yourself!
what the public doesn't have is a 7 day routine NHS.

if one has a brain bleed/heart attack/stroke/septicaemia/ijustgottapapercut/etc, you WILL get seen AND treated.
what you won't have are routine appointments over the weekend because the government wont budget for it.

and besides, a few areas experimented with 7 day appointments, and guess what, most patients didnt want these appointments - better to see routine stuff in their employers time than their own free time.

You think I don't agree with you?

My own personal experience from recent events, A&E is currently acting as a massive plaster covering over the failings of basic service.

People are going straight to A&E to be seen because waiting 2 weeks to see their GP isn't good enough.

Associate
My girlfriend and I are both middle grade anaesthetists and we've spent this evening planning to move once our contracts are up next year. We're not particularly extreme and we've been fairly relaxed about proceedings but in the end what happened today is insulting and it's time to vote with our feet. There's a lot of misunderstanding and trolling in this thread and elsewhere online which has been fairly depressing to read. Good luck UK! Protip: don't vote conservative at the next election and you might stand a chance.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You think I don't agree with you?

My own personal experience from recent events, A&E is currently acting as a massive plaster covering over the failings of basic service.

People are going straight to A&E to be seen because waiting 2 weeks to see their GP isn't good enough.

How does spreading the same amount of resources over 7 days instead of 5 fix that?
unfortunately, this ^ 100 over 5 days vs 100 over 7 days. at the end is still 100.

in any case, things in edinburgh should get rosier soon, as hunt has probably singlehandedly solved the scottish recruitment crisis (and probably welsh too)

Soldato
How does spreading the same amount of resources over 7 days instead of 5 fix that?

Recent events are only talking about Junior Doctors but I think the full service should be available 7 days a week, round the clock.

I think someone posted a couple of pages back about the support staff/technicians etc need to be involved and I fully agree we need more money to pay for this.

Soldato
My giftiend and I are both middle grade anaesthetists and we've spent this evening planning to move once our contracts are up next year. We're not particularly extreme and we've been fairly relaxed about proceedings but in the end what happened today is insulting and it's time to vote with our feet. There's a lot of misunderstanding and trolling in this thread and elsewhere online which has been fairly depressing to read. Good luck UK! Protip: don't vote conservative at the next election and you might stand a chance.

Lets hope wherever you go you don't get branded *********** by morons!

Man of Honour
My giftiend and I are both middle grade anaesthetists and we've spent this evening planning to move once our contracts are up next year. We're not particularly extreme and we've been fairly relaxed about proceedings but in the end what happened today is insulting and it's time to vote with our feet. There's a lot of misunderstanding and trolling in this thread and elsewhere online which has been fairly depressing to read. Good luck UK! Protip: don't vote conservative at the next election and you might stand a chance.

I know a couple of people who are off to NZ if this is pushed through - if that is any indication of a wider trend could see a drain of good talent :S

EDIT: Seems to be the way of late - a couple of other people I know IRL and someone I played eve online with left for either NZ or Aus within the last year or so after finishing their medical training in the UK.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom