Drone hits passenger jet

Soldato
Said it before and i'll say it again. There needs to be new and widely announced regs on "drones". This will only get worse.

Maybe based on size, power etc.

The laws are there already. There is simply no need for any more of them.

What is needed, is education of the masses. TV ads, radio ads, etcetera. The people who walk into Maplins, buy a Phantom, or maybe something cheaper, then start flying it up and down their street, or busy local park. They're the ones we need to educate.

The people that take it seriously aren't the problem. They already know the law and abide by it.

Soldato
Licensing drone use seems entirely sensible. But there is no way that can safeguard airline jets from people attacking them with drones, laser pointers etc. Airlines need to be made more durable and protect against these sorts of attacks.

Soldato
Licensing drone use seems entirely sensible. But there is no way that can safeguard airline jets from people attacking them with drones, laser pointers etc. Airlines need to be made more durable and protect against these sorts of attacks.

Yes indestructible planes, that would be perfect. Or maybe a big bung over the intakes of the engine, that will work.

:p

Associate
Do we have any actual evidence it was a drone of any variety yet? I don't know how fast those planes are going at that point in the flight cycle but I would struggle to identify a "drone" at high speed, especially if I was concentrating on something else, say, landing a plane.

I think the current hysteria around these things may well lead to people mistakenly identifying things as a drone when it actual fact, they could be something like those stupid helium filled foil balloons you can buy.

It's impossible to identify a who is flying a drone unless you actually catch them at it at the time. Especially if it is thousands of little pieces spread over a large area after being hit by a plane. This is why people are so cocky about it at the moment, they know there is little chance of recrimination unless they are stupid enough to post it in a video on youtube.

Whilst regulation is great and the US system should work in principle, they have to register guns and there are definitely a lot of unregistered ones of the those kicking around stateside. You won't stop someone getting hold of the parts to build one (a drone) if they want to.

GPS geofencing is pointless as you don't need GPS to fly a Multi (or a plane for that matter)

As for terrorist functionality, you would need a fairly large multirotor to carry "a couple of pounds of explosives" and the flight time would be relatively short as a result. DJI s1000 size at least probably. You'd be better off with an RC Plane - much better payload and efficiency.

To be honest, I'm very surprised that the technology hasn't already been used in some sort of terrorist operation - RC planes with good payloads and great video/control range have been around longer than multirotors.

Kind of makes me wonder if threats to our national security are exaggerated for some purpose or another.

Permabanned
I haven't read through all 5 pages - but what stops someone equally flying a RC areoplane into a landing jumbo jet? a Drone and a RC Plane can get quite abit of heigh and distance... unfortunatly you get idiots in this world who think these kind of things are clever but i guess it highlights a security breach.

Soldato
Do we have any actual evidence it was a drone of any variety yet? I don't know how fast those planes are going at that point in the flight cycle but I would struggle to identify a "drone" at high speed, especially if I was concentrating on something else, say, landing a plane.

I think the current hysteria around these things may well lead to people mistakenly identifying things as a drone when it actual fact, they could be something like those stupid helium filled foil balloons you can buy.

It's impossible to identify a who is flying a drone unless you actually catch them at it at the time. Especially if it is thousands of little pieces spread over a large area after being hit by a plane. This is why people are so cocky about it at the moment, they know there is little chance of recrimination unless they are stupid enough to post it in a video on youtube.

Whilst regulation is great and the US system should work in principle, they have to register guns and there are definitely a lot of unregistered ones of the those kicking around stateside. You won't stop someone getting hold of the parts to build one (a drone) if they want to.

GPS geofencing is pointless as you don't need GPS to fly a Multi (or a plane for that matter)

As for terrorist functionality, you would need a fairly large multirotor to carry "a couple of pounds of explosives" and the flight time would be relatively short as a result. DJI s1000 size at least probably. You'd be better off with an RC Plane - much better payload and efficiency.

To be honest, I'm very surprised that the technology hasn't already been used in some sort of terrorist operation - RC planes with good payloads and great video/control range have been around longer than multirotors.

Kind of makes me wonder if threats to our national security are exaggerated for some purpose or another.

A plane on final apporach is travelling at approx 170mph.

Soldato
I haven't read through all 5 pages - but what stops someone equally flying a RC areoplane into a landing jumbo jet? a Drone and a RC Plane can get quite abit of heigh and distance... unfortunatly you get idiots in this world who think these kind of things are clever but i guess it highlights a security breach.

Nothing stops them doing that at the moment, it can literally happen at any time

Soldato
Like anything, nope. Decent commercial drones can lift payloads of around 9kg/20lbs, and the LiPo batteries they're powered by are pretty volatile/explosive as they are when it comes to accidental situations.

I'd like to see a test of a couple of 12,000mAh LiPos being sucked into a turbine engine.

Associate
How can you even catch someone flying a drone near an airport? I feel like you'd need another drone to do that

You can pick it up on radar, if you have the right one. Serious interest in micro-drone detecting radar from a number of governments both for counter-terrorism and for counter-eijit use.

Even a small plastic toy has an appreciable radar return at short range.

Man of Honour
There's nothing really stopping them being used for terrorism at the moment is there?

This is what the News was about this morning and apparently last year ISIS put out orders to followers to try and use drones for terrorist activities.
The issue wasn't little Johnny flying his drone that will be smashed out of the sky but terrorists using them.

Man of Honour
You can pick it up on radar, if you have the right one. Serious interest in micro-drone detecting radar from a number of governments both for counter-terrorism and for counter-eijit use.

Even a small plastic toy has an appreciable radar return at short range.

Nobody has the right one though. For it to be effective at reducing collision risk, ATC would need access to the feed and some way of discriminating. At present that's not available and it's not about to be any time soon.

Associate
Nobody has the right one though.
Because it is still a development area and there are issues with ponying up the cash required... It isn't there yet, but the principle is sound.

At present that's not available and it's not about to be any time soon.

That depends what you mean by soon. I think we will see these systems deployed within a couple of years, but at high value targets for counter-terrorism.

The funds for counter-eijit use at airports will take longer to materialise, if ever. The US government once wanted to put IRCM on all passenger jets (or at least all international planes). Then they got a bid... I could see the same thing happening with airports "let's put one of these at every airport" "erm, how much?" "OK, how about just Heathrow then..."

Back
Top Bottom