Replacement locks

Associate
Hi all,

I want to replace the locks on the front door and the back patio door so i'm in need of 2 locks. They are the typical euro cylinder locks.

Ideally I want both locks to use the same set of keys and the front door lock to have a thumb turn on the inside so it's the same as the current lock.

Can anybody suggest a place that would be able to do this for me? I know that there are places that will do locks that have the same keys etc but i'm failing in my search!

Many thanks

Soldato
Reading their site, they seem good, lots a approvals. Sold secure diamond approval since 2010 and the only lock to have this.

But you say they can be opened in seconds? How do they get these approvals?

Associate
Typed a decent reply and it vanished.

Certain methods have arisen since the release of the lock style. This won't effect your security to the average criminal, better then a cheap euro cylinder.

It hasn't changed the accreditation but all diamond (and lesser) locks have vulnerabilities, its the ease of taking advantage of these issues that could be an issue.

I don't want to create a panic, your locks are still very good and can't be opened in seconds by anyone.

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure if it's what Pabl0 was alluding to but there's a £120 "ABS Standard Quick Opening Tool" that looks like it makes short work of an ABS lock once the user figures out which pin is the magnetic one.

As mentioned, not likely to be in common use by your average thief.

Associate
Still struggling with the idea that these are easier to open than anyother TS007 approved or SBD lock.

Out of interest what would you recommend to fit instead (as in what have you fitted to your house)?

Like I said, its the actual lock design that makes it vulnerable and why it differs to other TS007 rated locks which can't have the same vulnerabilities.

Currently sport a BS 5 lever mortise, rim cylinder and chain. If I had a multi point locking system id use a decent euro (anti pick/drill/snap) with a SBD handle set.

You will never keep everyone out of your house, but with a simple set up you will stop 99% of intruders. The other 1% probably know they're is something in your house worth taking and are very well tooled and trained to get in.

Also make sure all other doors have similar security levels otherwise its all worthless.

I was alluding to using a tool but its the ease of using these tools that is an issue. Much locksmith tools take time and training to use so pare useless for almost all. I can't say the same for the abs tool.

Of course smashing a window can't be helped.

Very good. Dependent on price.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just getting quotes now. I could probably do it myself but the company quoted a reasonable labour cost for front and back, and he pointed out a few things at the back I hadn't realised (and fixed them free of charge) so i'm gonna go with him now.

He fired over a quote with ABS locks as I'd asked but reading this has made me respond for a quote for the Ultions. Is that a better choice? I also read that the Mul-T locks are superb.

I know nothing will keep out a prepared and determined degenerate but I want to make it too much hassle to bother with.

Back
Top Bottom