• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will you be ditching your 980 TI\TX for Pascal?

Man of Honour
I'm not a fan of them and it's not the issue. I have a drain port on my loop so that doesn't take long to drain my loop. It's more reblocking the cards which takes the time. Aircooling is so much easier in comparison when it comes to swapping out gpus.

I have to admit putting the stock cooler back on a card is a time consuming pain.

Associate
The Ti issue is the big one for me. I would gladly sell my 980Ti and get a 1080 if the performance boost was worthwhile, except for the knowledge that a Ti version will appear, immediately making the 1080 redundant for 'top end' users (ie, a lot of OCUK forum members). That makes the swap to a 1080 a real PITA.

Associate
The Ti issue is the big one for me. I would gladly sell my 980Ti and get a 1080 if the performance boost was worthwhile, except for the knowledge that a Ti version will appear, immediately making the 1080 redundant for 'top end' users (ie, a lot of OCUK forum members). That makes the swap to a 1080 a real PITA.

But if you look at it like that (which I know a lot of you do), you buy a 1080Ti and that gets outshone even quicker buy the next series of cards, its a ridiculous scenario where nobody buys anything lol!! :D

I will probably end up buying 2 x GTX1080's to replace my 780's. It will see me on for a few years and it's bound to still beat out a single Ti anyway! Its not like the Ti model is going to last any longer.... it wasnt that long ago everyone was waving around their 980Ti's like it was the holy grail and now plenty of people are clamouring to sell them! :o

Associate
I don't think I will be as to be honest I am disappointed the 1080 doesn't have HBM2. I have had my 980ti for 6 months which I upgraded to from a 970 because I upgraded to a 1440p monitor and wanted something beefy to play games on max settings even at 1440p. I'm sure the new Pascal cards will be awesome but despite the marketing "faster than Titan X" etc I cant see the 1070 being better than my 980ti. Yes it will be close maybe even on par in real world game benchmarks but it wont be better. The 1080 of course will be, it has the faster memory and will be a better series card than the 980 was price wise I think but I will wait to see if a 1080ti comes out (hopefully with HBM2) or wait for Volta in 2018. Of course it all depends on real world performance which I am looking forward to seeing from the new gen.
Also note that the 980ti will still have faster memory than the 1070 overall.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's all the cheapskates coming out of the woodwork trying to talk the price down on a card they couldn't afford a few weeks ago.

You only have to look at recent 2nd hand values of previous top end cards for a clearer picture. I sold a 780 for £135 not long ago, whilst 780tis were still fetching around £170-180, bearing in mind how long the 980ti has been around those prices make some of these "I'll give you £200 for your 980ti" offers almost insulting.

There is no almost about it. The offers of £210 and £200 for the Ti on MM yesterday were insulting.

Soldato
They should have been banned IMO.

I said same yesterday, but having thought about it, would be a difficult thing to police for the admins. Who decided what the market value is and what constitutes a fair opening offer?

That said, I think I will watch out for those chancers in future if they ever attempt to buy from me or are selling something - might make a lowball offer :D

Soldato
It's a free market essentially, and I have no problem telling people to **** off (with a smile) if they make silly offers on the MM. They just make themselves look stupid.

Associate
Think I'm going to skip 10xx until my current card can no longer run games at 1080P on high/ultra settings which hopefully holds me over at least another 12-18 months. What I really want is a decent CPU upgrade but don't see that happening anytime soon.

Caporegime
It's all the cheapskates coming out of the woodwork trying to talk the price down on a card they couldn't afford a few weeks ago.

You only have to look at recent 2nd hand values of previous top end cards for a clearer picture. I sold a 780 for £135 not long ago, whilst 780tis were still fetching around £170-180, bearing in mind how long the 980ti has been around those prices make some of these "I'll give you £200 for your 980ti" offers almost insulting.

To Some - like myself - it's not a matter of what you can afford, it's more what you can justify on a card, whilst I do like gaming from time to time, the once or twice a month that I actually get around to doing so means I can't justify £300+ on any card no matter what it is,but, I would be willing to pay ~ £200ish for something like a 980 in a few months time once Pascal is out and prices have dropped accordingly.

I agree, £200 - £210 offers now on stuff that's still effectively current is practically insulting although nobody's forcing the sellers to accept said offers.

I'm hoping Pascal will be a game changer and prices will adjust accordingly, £200 or so to my mind is a fair price for yesterday's kit, especially once it's been surpassed by the next gen.

I'm in no rush though (I'm still running 580's in SLI - which I bought for a fraction of their new price) - I'm more than happy to wait, but, I'll only buy if the bang for buck suits my needs.

I'm very surprised at some of the prices things like 780's still go for on the mm, flea bay prices border on the absurd to my mind.

Time will tell, I'll be very surprised though if 7xx & 9xx cards don't take a large bath once Pascal arrives assuming it delivers what it could / should.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think I will be as to be honest I am disappointed the 1080 doesn't have HBM2. I have had my 980ti for 6 months which I upgraded to from a 970 because I upgraded to a 1440p monitor and wanted something beefy to play games on max settings even at 1440p. I'm sure the new Pascal cards will be awesome but despite the marketing "faster than Titan X" etc I cant see the 1070 being better than my 980ti. Yes it will be close maybe even on par in real world game benchmarks but it wont be better. The 1080 of course will be, it has the faster memory and will be a better series card than the 980 was price wise I think but I will wait to see if a 1080ti comes out (hopefully with HBM2) or wait for Volta in 2018. Of course it all depends on real world performance which I am looking forward to seeing from the new gen.
Also note that the 980ti will still have faster memory than the 1070 overall.

Ive been thinking about this myself and i have no doubt that the 1070/1080 will be the kings of 1080p but personally giving the lower bus of 256bit i got a sneaky suspicion that once you start upping the resolution(including other memory intensive options) the gab will go down a fair bit and only the 1080 will stay ahead of the 980 ti. Now this is my personal guess and i could be wrong. Looking very much forward to proper benchmarking.

Associate
Ive been thinking about this myself and i have no doubt that the 1070/1080 will be the kings of 1080p but personally giving the lower bus of 256bit i got a sneaky suspicion that once you start upping the resolution(including other memory intensive options) the gab will go down a fair bit and only the 1080 will stay ahead of the 980 ti. Now this is my personal guess and i could be wrong. Looking very much forward to proper benchmarking.

GDDR5X memory clocked at 10.000Mhz, on a 256bit bus, thats 320G/s Memory Bandwidth, it's not far from the 980Ti

Back
Top Bottom