Samsung 850 SSD getting hot, not sure why?

Associate
So I have had this Samsung 250gb 850 for a while and not exactly been happy with the temperatures as its hotter than both my cpu and gpu which seems crazy.

Well i have been monitoring it and in No Mans Sky my SSD is going from its idle temperature of 30c to 36-37c.....

Its in direct airflow and even attached to the case using a thermal pad to try and cool it down a bit.

I cant seem to get it to drop in temperature. If i remember right 40c is the max Samsung recommends but if this was in a laptop it would be burning.

Associate
OP
Nothing to worry about.
Look at the reviews and you'll find that they go much hotter than that.

Are you sure? it just seems mighty warm in comparison to the rest of my system.

My HDD's are 24c, CPU is 25c, GPU is 26c and my mainboard sits at about 25c.....

The case is really cool and then this SSD sits at a higher temperature. I guess I will just have to live with it, would hate to think its causing a reduced lifespan though.

Man of Honour
Anything upto 40C is perfectly fine - most HDDs are rated for long term operation somewhere between upper 40s and upper 50s and SSDs a little above that though personally I try to keep them comfortably below 50C for the best long term stability.

EDIT: Looks like the 850 EVO is actually rated to 70C not sure I'd really want it running that warm though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom