Bought Fridge from AO - Has a Euro Plug!

Commissario
Seriously, cut the plug off, fit a UK one and then go and enjoy the rest of your life. I really don't understand why anyone would go to the trouble of rejecting a product for something so trivial.

Soldato
Pen in the earth slot, jab the rest of it. Will be fine.

*I do not advise this, but it will work.

Yep!

Works fine! :D

(Hats off to the Genius who decided that Euro-plugs should have the same spacing as the bottom two on our own sockets! :p)

(*I do not, of course, advise this either! :D )

Soldato
I've bought electricals cheap like monitors that have come with euro plugs in the box but have had a UK plug added extra. This is fine for kettle leads as it's just a case of plugging the UK lead in.

Bid dodgy a fridge not coming with a UK plug attached.

Oh and pensioners usually know very well how to change plugs, it goes back to the days when nothing came with it's own plug and you had to fit one yourself.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh and pensioners usually know very well how to change plugs, it goes back to the days when nothing came with it's own plug and you had to fit one yourself.

Like I said earlier, Its the youguns that need to have somebody else to wipe their Bottoms for them! :p

Soldato
Seriously, cut the plug off, fit a UK one and then go and enjoy the rest of your life. I really don't understand why anyone would go to the trouble of rejecting a product for something so trivial.

If it's a grey import, there might be problems down the line using the manufacturers warranty (ie there won't be one).

Soldato
Items come with a pre moulded plug, not because people cant wire them up, it because they can't wire them up properly with the wires the correct length etc.

Weird, I work at an office desk all day and I managed to cut a moulded plug off my new washing machine, pull back the insulation and then wire it into the fused switch where my old washing machine used to be. I must be super human, that's far harder than a simple plug!

Man of Honour
Weird, I work at an office desk all day and I managed to cut a moulded plug off my new washing machine, pull back the insulation and then wire it into the fused switch where my old washing machine used to be. I must be super human, that's far harder than a simple plug!

Woopy doo for you.

The reason why moulded plugs had to be fitted was because of all the accidents that happened when users fitted their own.
I used to have to check domestic appliance plug wiring and you'd be amazed how many factory workers couldn't do it right with the 'correct' training.
When the laws came out the moulded plugs/cables were all made at another factory and the assembly workers just fitted them to the product.

Soldato
If its EU cut plug off and fit a UK one.

120v is compatible with 240v, the US is a total different kettle of fish.

One thing I do know the missus hair dryer is rubbish in Tenerife, £80 quid hair dryer running like a £5 quid Argos job! :p

Would it affect warranty? I highly doubt it so just fit a compatible plug.

Soldato
But you still found it important enough to post about it :D

I love posts like this.

Nothing wrong with his post. quite right to display disbelief that the thread exists at all. This doesn't suddenly mean he shouldn't be posting in it.

I personally dont see the point in cutting the plug off when an adaptor would work just fine. Sure do it if you have a plug laying around but otherwise MEH. Adaptor, done. It should have had one anyway. Crazy sending it back because of that, much hassle.

Soldato
If you're stuck with it then use an adaptor. If the plugs moulded then you'd most likely be voiding any warranty by swapping plugs as it is a modification which most warranties will have clauses for.

Obviously you'd have to read the manufacturers warranty but to save time either replace the unit or use an adaptor.

Soldato
you obviously don't frequent threads where cosimo just spams videos. brings pretty much most machines to a grinding halt if on massive pages. let alone if you use a phone.

I do, I just switch to Chrome for those threads. Chrome doesn't slow down at all on those threads with loads of embedded Youtube videos, unlike Firefox, which is painful.

Caporegime
Yep!

Works fine! :D

(Hats off to the Genius who decided that Euro-plugs should have the same spacing as the bottom two on our own sockets! :p)

(*I do not, of course, advise this either! :D )

Yep, do it all the time.

Infact I've been to loads of hotels, where most of the stuff is like this.

Back
Top Bottom