• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX480 vs GTX1060

Associate
Still trying to decide between the 1060 and RX 480. Currently leaning towards either the EVGA 1060 SC or Zotac 1060 Amp as these seem to have a good reputation here.

But I wonder how one of the AIB RX 480s at around the same price point (£260) would compare in terms of running cool and quiet. Which of the AIB RX 480s runs the quietest and coolest?

I know for many people these aren't important considerations, but for me they are. My PC has to contend with a rather high ambient temperature and my build is focused on keeping fan noise to a minimum where possible.

I've settled on £260 or thereabouts as my budget cap because any higher than this and I should be considering the 1070. So this tends to rule out Asus and MSI.

As you have rightly found, the EVGA GTX 1060 SC is one of the better 1060's. Runs cool and is quiet etc. For the 480s, I think the Powercolour Red Devil is usually reviewed as the coolest/quietest and for a reasonable price (£260).

Soldato
Still trying to decide between the 1060 and RX 480. Currently leaning towards either the EVGA 1060 SC or Zotac 1060 Amp as these seem to have a good reputation here.

But I wonder how one of the AIB RX 480s at around the same price point (£260) would compare in terms of running cool and quiet. Which of the AIB RX 480s runs the quietest and coolest?

I know for many people these aren't important considerations, but for me they are. My PC has to contend with a rather high ambient temperature and my build is focused on keeping fan noise to a minimum where possible.

I've settled on £260 or thereabouts as my budget cap because any higher than this and I should be considering the 1070. So this tends to rule out Asus and MSI.

Did you miss my post at the top of this page? :)

Soldato
This multiple API malarkey is a PITA as is developers getting into bed with one or the other. We'll all end up with two cards soon :(. Maybe that's the intention of AMD/Nvidia to stand out in some games far enough to create a market where gamers need a card of each (AMD, Nvidia).

:D

Soldato
You didn't really provide a source. Where is the source that you got your paragraphs from?

Sorry, thought I linked to the websites too.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/amd-rx-480-polaris-release-date-price-specs/

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/229443-amd-announces-new-radeon-rx-480-vr-ready-at-a-budget-price

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/02/amd-radeon-rx-480-specs/

It was completely in reference to VR. But some websites ran with $200 beating a $500 card. And you can understand why, makes a better story.

Soldato
Some comparisons between the two in this Digital Foundry article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-lets-build-a-1080p60-gaming-pc

That only summarises the same as every other review on the planet.

The 1060 is the faster card.

Some reviews say significantly so, some say by not a lot, some say the 480 might eventually catch up but what you won't ever find is a single review that says the 480 is the faster card.

It's only and oddly the people on here who have bought a 480 that seem to think it's better.

I actually bought a 480, paid for it but upon reading reviews I could see that the 1060 was faster, noticeably so in the games that I play and also produced a lot less heat.

It was a no brainier to cancel my order and get a 1060.

Associate

Some reviews say significantly so, some say by not a lot, some say the 480 might eventually catch up but what you won't ever find is a single review that says the 480 is the faster card.

It's only and oddly the people on here who have bought a 480 that seem to think it's better.

I actually bought a 480, paid for it but upon reading reviews I could see that the 1060 was faster, noticeably so in the games that I play and also produced a lot less heat.

A bit annoying given I bought a 480 after a load of forum posts / articles suggested it would be a better card long-term. Enjoying having a decent GPU for the first time in years though.

Soldato
A bit annoying given I bought a 480 after a load of forum posts / articles suggested it would be a better card long-term. Enjoying having a decent GPU for the first time in years though.

The last 3 AAA titles to release in Warhammer, Doom and Deus Ex all are faster on the Rx 480. Is this a sign of things to come. Deus Ex doesn't even have it's Dx12 patch yet which might give the Rx 480 an even bigger lead.

These cards are so closely matched it matters little atm to which one you bought. I think the RX 480 is a safer bet with more Dx12 titles to come.

Associate
The last 3 AAA titles to release in Warhammer, Doom and Deus Ex all are faster on the Rx 480. Is this a sign of things to come. Deus Ex doesn't even have it's Dx12 patch yet which might give the Rx 480 an even bigger lead.

These cards are so closely matched it matters little atm to which one you bought. I think the RX 480 is a safer bet with more Dx12 titles to come.

Hopefully. Like I said, it works really well and they're closely matched so it's little difference in practical gaming terms. Looking at the DF article though it does make me wonder, literally every card I had previously was Nvidia.

Associate
both these cards are priced £60 to much at the moment these are entry level....for £220+ im glad im no longer chasing benchies :(

I'm not sure. Initially I was a bit annoyed at the high prices. But, atleast for the 1060 we have had a massive leap this generation. You would expect based on past generations that the currrent generation xx60 card would match the last generation xx70 card. However, in most cases the 1060 matches the 980, so an entire tier has been leaped for the most part. Furthermore, the 1060 is in some cases 80% faster than the 960.

Overall I am quite pleased with the progress made, and can see why it might have played into the pricing slightly. Of course I do wish prices were around ~£200, which is where xx60's are usually priced. Ah well, we can't really do anything about it unless we get incredibly favorable Brexit terms, or AMD really start competing with Nvidia in all aspects.

Associate

Which 2 are you viewing as a comparison. Are they the same price?

Associate
Would these findings be the same at the bottom end of the range? Ie the £188 1060 3gb that are coming into stock soon, would these compare favourably to the rx480 or even the rx470 which is the most comparable on price.

Im about to drop on one of these cards for my birthday and was told the 470 suited my specs best, but the 1060 3gb might be a better option, what do you guys think?

Soldato
Would these findings be the same at the bottom end of the range? Ie the £188 1060 3gb that are coming into stock soon, would these compare favourably to the rx480 or even the rx470 which is the most comparable on price.

Im about to drop on one of these cards for my birthday and was told the 470 suited my specs best, but the 1060 3gb might be a better option, what do you guys think?

A 1060 3gb is faster than a 480 at present so will defiantly beat out a 470. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.eu...orce-gtx-1060-3gb-vs-6gb-review?client=safari
That said 3gb probably isn't enough going forward.

Associate

Most review sites are favouring the 4gb 480. It runs everything today and will outlive the 3gb 1060 without a shadow of a doubt.

Look at it this way. It basically runs all current dx11 games at speed. It will continue to do that for the next year. When dx12/vulkan becomes the norm, it will run those better and quicker than 6gb 1060.
I would get reference tho

Back
Top Bottom