Fabric loses it's license - Closes doors for good

Associate
And they do that how exactly?

There are many clubs who manage to keep drugs issues to a minimum, clearly Fabric couldn't or didn't want to do that. The Police can't just ignore that people are dying in this place.

And alcohol isn't a reason that many people die each year? Or Alcohol is the cause of many a disturbance at weekends costing tax payers sod knows how much money and putting members of the public at risk in the process.

I'm not condoning taking drugs. Putting any substance / chemical into your body, including alcohol, comes with associated risks. Closing clubs isn't the answer. As others have said the drugs reason is a smoke screen here.

Southampton's nightlife is terrible. They did have a few decent clubs at one point in time. My best times were spent at the Opera House down in Boscombe, rarely ever any trouble there that I saw and where more probably chose to use recreational drugs over alcohol. Totally different story on nights out in Southampton where to me it appeared alcohol was the choice for fun times.

I'm 38 now though and don't go clubbing any more so Fabric closing won't affect me however I still think it's bad using a smoke screen excuse to close it.

Soldato
Real pure MDMA actually has an LD50 of 80mg/kg which is a LOT to take. Taking 4 pills in 15mins will see you in a bad way but it won't kill you. Those pills were adulterated, I'll put my money on it. Otherwise there is the obvious effects of the drug that play a part in your demise such as dehydration, water intoxication or simply overheating.

I don't know the intricate science of things but just aware that 4 pills would put you in a really bad place, after being in a really great place momentarily.

Yes I was coming from a overheating point of view. Not necessarily the purity/quality of the pills.

Soldato
OP
I don't know the intricate science of things but just aware that 4 pills would put you in a really bad place, after being in a really great place momentarily.

Yes I was coming from a overheating point of view. Not necessarily the purity/quality of the pills.

All the kids these days are bang on the ket though. The media reports he did 4 pills but who knows how many bumps of let may have been consumed along with alcohol, bit of weed? You never know. It always boils down to 'hey were killed by dodgy pills' but it's rarely just that, if ever.

Soldato
only went once and that was end of may this year to see sasha. i thought it was well run as far as clubs go; security took chewing gum off me :confused: there was a lad whose sole job was to hand out water and there was a high security presence outside and noise was kept to a minimum due it being next to apartments.

one of the best sound systems and booths in the world. this smacks of brown envelopes for property.

Associate
Without reading the story i'm going to take a stab and assume "Ectasy" use was the cause of their death.

Reason I put it in inverted commas is because most X people think is X is not actually X.

It's PMA which is basically far stronger, so people take what they think is their normal dose of MDMA and get obliterated. There was documentary by Vice called whats in my baggie, basically something like 70-80% of the MDMA they tested was not MDMA.

I'm astounded some days how many risks people take with their health....

Most X is actually X.

A very small percentage, tiny in fact, turns out to contain PMA usually because whoever is manufacturing the drugs have done it incorrectly, or knowingly added it. The problem with PMA is just how dangerous it is, and people who have unwittingly taken it tend to take far too much trying to feel the effects, which then kick in a few hours later all at the same time.

The Vice article about the baggie from what I remember, was based in America around the time the whole 'bath salts' thing was very much in the media. Dizzy kids who bought what they thought was X from a stranger, most of the time got research chemicals which anyone looking to make a quick buck could sell instead of actual illegal drugs, knowing a new generation of kids wanted 'molly' or 'x' without actually understanding what it is. Bear in mind that buying drugs from people they don't know at public events carries with it a massive amount of risk.

If most X was PMA, you wouldn't get a handful of people dying each year from pills - it would be hundreds/thousands out of the 250k a week who take 'pills'.

The UK needs to get out of it's old fashioned 70's style approach to the war on drugs and start concentrating on harm reduction and education. How many lives would be saved if clubs had pill testing facilities - many I bet.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Most X is actually X.

A very small percentage, tiny in fact, turns out to contain PMA usually because whoever is manufacturing the drugs have done it incorrectly, or knowingly added it. The problem with PMA is just how dangerous it is, and people who have unwittingly taken it tend to take far too much trying to feel the effects, which then kick in a few hours later all at the same time.

The Vice article about the baggie from what I remember, was based in America around the time the whole 'bath salts' thing was very much in the media. Dizzy kid who bought what they thought was X from a stranger, most of the time got research chemicals. Bear in mind that buying drugs from people they don't know at public events carries with it a massive amount of risk.

If most X was PMA, you wouldn't get a handful of people dying each year from pills - it would be hundreds/thousands out of the 250k a week who take 'pills'.

There is a large amount of pills sold as MDMA that is PMA/PMMA or other adulterants, though. This is the prime reason that harm reduction websites exist. I won't go into them of course but any 'user' worth their salt should be checking these regularly as well as testing whatever they buy to ensure it is what they think it is.

People have to look after themselves and take on the responsibility if they choose to do such things as clearly, the government only want to lock people up and close down clubs instead of doing something to REALLY tackle the problem. Whatever that may be.

Soldato
Off at a slight tangent, I've been to all sorts of clubs over the years across the country. Fabric, Egg, tobacco dock, Ministry, Nation, Pacha, digital, studio 338, coronet, WHP, studio spaces, light box, feast, GSSW. All for numerous hours.

Ontop of that numerous festivals. Hardly saw any trouble.

Go down local high streets on a Friday Saturday night and more often than not at some point it will turn into a warzone.

Given the choice of spending 8 hours in a 'drug encouraging club' and 8 hours at a local high street.. The former wins hands down. And I will feel safer.

Associate
There is a large amount of pills sold as MDMA that is PMA/PMMA or other adulterants, though. This is the prime reason that harm reduction websites exist. I won't go into them of course but any 'user' worth their salt should be checking these regularly as well as testing whatever they buy to ensure it is what they think it is.

People have to look after themselves and take on the responsibility if they choose to do such things as clearly, the government only want to lock people up and close down clubs instead of doing something to REALLY tackle the problem. Whatever that may be.

There is a large amount, but the percentage is minimal.

I'm not saying that to glorify drugs or suggest people should take risks, but rather to press on the fact that most of the problem we have in this country about drugs is the fact we don't as a society want to have anything more than an alarmist, polarised discussion about the matter for fear we might be corrupting our youth.

The problem is that young people soon realise most of the scare stories and media hype around drugs are a lie, and it's for that reason they go the opposite way and develop a fearless attitude which ends in death for a small number of individuals.

The British mentality to getting out of our heads (booze, illegal drugs etc) is a systemic issue that I think is the wider problem.

Soldato
OP
Off at a slight tangent, I've been to all sorts of clubs over the years across the country. Fabric, Egg, tobacco dock, Ministry, Nation, Pacha, digital, studio 338, coronet, WHP, studio spaces, light box, feast, GSSW. All for numerous hours.

Ontop of that numerous festivals. Hardly saw any trouble.

Go down local high streets on a Friday Saturday night and more often than not at some point it will turn into a warzone.

Given the choice of spending 8 hours in a 'drug encouraging club' and 8 hours at a local high street.. The former wins hands down. And I will feel safer.

We have probably crossed paths at some point :D Couldn't agree more. Haven't been to my local high street in years and reading the local rag on a Monday morning just secures my reasoning for not doing so.

Soldato

Education is the way forward. Can buy your own testing kits online for relatively cheap. Extremely cheap if you compare it to the value of your life!!

Europe are getting the hang of it. Many festivals are adopting testing areas coupled with education. All for free.

Caporegime
shame.pretty obvious why its been closed.for building developments and money.

nothing to do witth drugs.they just move to a different club or new club opens. i dont get why people try and cover stupidly easy to see reasons of why its really closed.

Caporegime
To be fair they were warned back in 2014, while people are going to take drugs in clubs it isn't very good putting on a show at the doors then turning a blind eye inside to the point where undercover cops can observe drug taking taking place in front of staff and two kids can die within a shirt period of each other as a result of drugs bought in the club. Not to mention the area around Farringdon station being full if very blatant dealers every Friday night. This is the sort of risk you'll get running a club that big these days, if people start dying on your premises after you've been warned in the past then some action from the local authorities is to be expected.

Likewise clubs/pubs with issues with violence etc.. also get shut down.

Caporegime
shame.pretty obvious why its been closed.for building developments and money.

nothing to do witth drugs.they just move to a different club or new club opens. i dont get why people try and cover stupidly easy to see reasons of why its really closed.

I like how people are coming up with conspiracies to try and explain this as if two additional deaths after a warning somehow isn't enough to get a venue closed... nah it must be some dodgy council closing it for development.

Soldato
I like how people are coming up with conspiracies to try and explain this as if two additional deaths after a warning somehow isn't enough to get a venue closed... nah it must be some dodgy council closing it for development.

It's a bit hard to take it at face value when drug related deaths happen at various festivals and clubs all over the country fairly regularly without them closing down.

I suspect Leeds festival and Creamfields will cease to exist... NAAAAT.

Back
Top Bottom