Fabric loses it's license - Closes doors for good

Soldato
OP
If that's the usual way that that stat is used it's incredibly misleading

Yes but it works for "our argument so we go with it ;)

or someone could die of a drug overdose whilst the police are giving them first aid and waiting for an ambulance

In the case of the last 2 deaths at the club there is no evidence that the substances that caused their death were purchased inside the club and both patrons died later on whilst in the care of paramedics or in hospital, so the same chain of thought applies here.

Soldato
OP
frequented by people like yourself who are happy for friends to take their drugs in to sell.

I was going to reply to your post in its entirety but it has to be a troll? If you would like to quote exactly where I have said anything to this degree that leads you to judge my or my character in such a way please do so and I will happily digress.

Soldato
Apparently, they weren't even good at appearing to be anti-drugs. ;)

They managed it for a long time! :)

Most clubs, live music venues hosting electronic acts and festivals are absolutely awash with drugs, everyone knows it, and everyone just tip-toes around it with some pointless attempts to look like they're doing something about it to keep the authorities happy.

Councils just keep it in their back pocket until such time as there's some $$$ to be made and revoke licenses.

Soldato
OP
Fabric the club rather than Fabric the venue is shutting down?

Expand? They are one and the same? I am not aware that anything "Fabric" branded happens anywhere other than the Fabric venue in Farringdon?

Or do you mean, Fabric is a venue and the nights they put on are largely "takeovers" with labels and DJ's from those labels, playing to a crowd?

Man of Honour
Expand? They are one and the same? I am not aware that anything "Fabric" branded happens anywhere other than the Fabric venue in Farringdon?

Or do you mean, Fabric is a venue and the nights they put on are largely "takeovers" with labels and DJ's from those labels, playing to a crowd?

I think he means will the building still be free for another company to move in and apply for another licence to run a nightclub.

Man of Honour
If that's the usual way that that stat is used it's incredibly misleading, as from memory it's actually "death after contact" rather than whilst in police custody/the cells/back of the van, so someone could drop dead of a heart attack whilst talking to the police and it would be counted, or someone could die of a drug overdose whilst the police are giving them first aid and waiting for an ambulance, or could commit suicide the day after they've left police custody (IIRC it includes deaths within a set period after police contact).
There have been cases where members of the public have restrained someone whilst they waited for the police and when the restrained person died it was counted as death in police custody, despite the police recognising that the person was not breathing upon their arrival and immediately giving first aid.

It's also worth noting that every "death in custody" is investigated, usually by a third party.

Indeed, and it's worth noting that it's anything 48 hours after police contact. So if you get run over by a bus after being arrested the previous day, it'll still be counted in the stats.

Soldato
And they do that how exactly?

There are many clubs who manage to keep drugs issues to a minimum, clearly Fabric couldn't or didn't want to do that. The Police can't just ignore that people are dying in this place.

Drug issues to a minimum? Aren't you a police officer? Does that naivety help you sleep at night? Fabric was no worse or better than any other club across the UK when it came to drug use.

Yes a handful of deaths marred a great reputation but when it was marked as one of the top clubs in the world for numerous years the numbers it attracted were staggering. Their searches were just as robust as any other clubs or festivals and on sight paramedics were brilliant.

Drug use across the UK is rife. Friday/Saturday nights in every pub club and high street across the UK. I honestly don't think that is an exaggeration.

To say Fabric was worst than anywhere else is just incorrect. Also to say it encouraged a drug culture.

Soldato
Without reading the story i'm going to take a stab and assume "Ectasy" use was the cause of their death.

Reason I put it in inverted commas is because most X people think is X is not actually X.

It's PMA which is basically far stronger, so people take what they think is their normal dose of MDMA and get obliterated. There was documentary by Vice called whats in my baggie, basically something like 70-80% of the MDMA they tested was not MDMA.

I'm astounded some days how many risks people take with their health....

Last edited:
Soldato
Indeed, and it's worth noting that it's anything 48 hours after police contact. So if you get run over by a bus after being arrested the previous day, it'll still be counted in the stats.

Ahhh. Complaining that non-police related deaths can be marked as police contact deaths.

A bit like deaths unrelated to Fabrics door policy. (I.e taking drugs before going in or smuggling them in hidden places) being blamed on Fabric.

Soldato

Hear, hear. Some real naivety in this thread.

Comment from Fabric co-founder:

I should like to point out that since 2012 we have had arrested in the region of 80 drug dealers identified at the front door; there has been only one prosecution. So perhaps if the police want to start levelling criticism of how these so-called safe havens exist they should start by looking at themselves and the CPS, because these individuals come back the following week laughing at us.

Soldato
Without reading the story i'm going to take a stab and assume "Ectasy" use was the cause of their death.

Reason I put it in inverted commas is because most X people think is X is not actually X.

It's PMA which is basically far stronger, so people take what they think is their normal dose of MDMA and get obliterated. There was documentary by Vice called whats in my baggie, basically something like 70-80% of the MDMA they tested was not MDMA.

Didn't help one of the kids took 3 pills in with him. Dropped them all and 15 mins later was disappointed they weren't working. Bought a 4th and dropped that.

Recon 4 pills in 15 mins of half decent stuff will probably kill you. Let alone some of the strong pills you get today.

Last edited:
Soldato
Drug issues to a minimum? Aren't you a police officer? Does that naivety help you sleep at night? Fabric was no worse or better than any other club across the UK when it came to drug use.

Yes a handful of deaths marred a great reputation but when it was marked as one of the top clubs in the world for numerous years the numbers it attracted were staggering. Their searches were just as robust as any other clubs or festivals and on sight paramedics were brilliant.

Drug use across the UK is rife. Friday/Saturday nights in every pub club and high street across the UK. I honestly don't think that is an exaggeration.

To say Fabric was worst than anywhere else is just incorrect. Also to say it encouraged a drug culture.
Yep pretty damn clueless if he is an officer.

I don't think I ever go on a night out these days without being around people doing some kind of drug.

Places like Fabric are actually better as it's usually people just out of it and loved up on MDMA/Pills and not people Drinking and doing lines which makes them aggressive and violent.

Soldato
OP

I'm astounded some days how many risks people take with their health....

This is a big bug-bear I have with the media and their reporting of such things. They continuously report on contaminated MDMA as 'super strength MDMA' which does nothing to help the problem. Idiots see this and go 'i need to source this stuff'. Instead of reporting that it's actually PMA/PMMA which is lethal in even small dosages (80mg can kill you dependant on body weight) they almost glorify it. Incredibly bad and harmful reporting.

Soldato
OP
Didn't help one of the kids took 3 pills in with him. Dropped them all and 15 mins later was disappointed they weren't working. Bought a 4th and dropped that.

Recon 4 pills in 15 mins of half decent stuff will probably kill you. Let alone some of the strong pills you get today.

Real pure MDMA actually has an LD50 of 80mg/kg which is a LOT to take. Taking 4 pills in 15mins will see you in a bad way but it won't kill you. Those pills were adulterated, I'll put my money on it. Otherwise there is the obvious effects of the drug that play a part in your demise such as dehydration, water intoxication or simply overheating.

Back
Top Bottom