• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Well can it run Deus Ex MD ?

Soldato
Told ya. :D:D:D
Fury x is a beast and is faster than a 1070 in this game. :D

Now enjoy the game while waiting for patches and driver updates. :)

It certainly does still need some patches, I found on some subway cutscenes I'd crash to desktop.

Turns out it's a somewhat common issue on Steam. I hope that gets addressed soon as well.

Hopefully Nixxes does a good job on the DX12 update as well.

Soldato
Is your 290 overclocked a lot? You say you're playing on High at 1440p, yet getting the same fps as my Fury X does at high 1440p.

No 290 is on stock settings. On default settings, preset was on high but I had switched the texture filltering to very high.

I had not played past the first level though.

Gone further but I stuck anisotropic filltering from the preset 4x to 16 and one other setting to very high (ambient occlusion I think). Been hitting 40 to 60.

50 still seems to be the avarage but its dipping into the low 40's far more often and not as fluid.

Restored it back down to default to see what I get.

Wondering if it detects youre default settings differently as you have a more powerful card?

I get 4x anisotropic, contact hardening shadows is off and tessellation is unchecked on the default high setting.

Soldato
Wondering if it detects youre default settings differently as you have a more powerful card?

I get 4x anisotropic, contact hardening shadows is off and tessellation is unchecked on the default high setting.

Ah it must, on my default High settings I had x8 AF, and Contact hard shadows were on as well.

Shadows alone being turned off gave me nearly 10fps performance wise. That would explain it. I also upped AF to x16. It's not really demanding at al..

Tessellation and MSAA are the two real killers, along with contact shadows.

Last edited:
Soldato
It was on as it's part of the High preset.

I just turned that off, and my minimums got nearly a 10fps boost. Bloody hell.

Just sprinted through the city and where I use to hover in the 40's I'm now 50's-60's as a worst case.

Overall a massive improvement. Even changed AF from 8x to 16x now, and still keeping much better performance.
Good to hear given your problems before!

Soldato
Good to hear given your problems before!

Seems there are 3 things to mainly avoid for performance, and that's Tessellation, Contact Shadows and MSAA.

It's a shame though, as all 3 greatly impact overall visuals. Temporal AA is just bad, I actually need to run the Sharpening filter for once as TAA just blurs everything so much, and the game really needs AA badly.

Soldato
Seems there are 3 things to mainly avoid for performance, and that's Tessellation, Contact Shadows and MSAA.

It's a shame though, as all 3 greatly impact overall visuals. Temporal AA is just bad, I actually need to run the Sharpening filter for once as TAA just blurs everything so much, and the game really needs AA badly.
Yea, the engine they're using is clearly an aliasing-producing monster.

They need to provide either a sharpening slider or some more range in terms of presets. As it is, it's way too strong, but having it off, especially when using TAA(which is the only performance-compliant option) is not acceptable, either.

Soldato
TAA is generally awful. Even blurrier than FXAA. You people need to be using a simple sweetfx / reshade and use SMAA. I use this for most games these days. You could then also turn off sharpening ingame and use sweetfx to tweak sharpening as much or as little as you like.

Soldato
TAA is generally awful. Even blurrier than FXAA. You people need to be using a simple sweetfx / reshade and use SMAA. I use this for most games these days. You could then also turn off sharpening ingame and use sweetfx to tweak sharpening as much or as little as you like.
SMAA is not nearly sufficient for cases like this. And SMAA does *nothing* for motion-based crawling and shimmering(unlike FXAA).

With the environmental complexity and longer draw distance of modern games, some sort of temporal AA solution is really quite necessary. This specific TAA isn't super fantastic, no one is denying that, but using some basic injected SMAA solution is unlikely to be any better. This TAA still seems to do a decent job even in stills:

CZYb.png

The main problem is that this game is just heavily, heavily aliasing-prone. Moreso than almost any game I've ever seen. Adding the strong sharpening filter certainly doesn't help.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah it must, on my default High settings I had x8 AF, and Contact hard shadows were on as well.

Shadows alone being turned off gave me nearly 10fps performance wise. That would explain it. I also upped AF to x16. It's not really demanding at al..

Tessellation and MSAA are the two real killers, along with contact shadows.

With a couple of setttings at very high and AF at x16 290 is doing 40 to 60 f.p.s. Averge is 50 dipping down to 40.

On standard high preset still the same range but it stays almost constantly between 48 and 60 f.ps. and feels quite fluid.

Get the settings right the 290 seems to maintian a very steady and stable 48 50 f.p.s with some slight dips to 40 45 f.ps indoors.

Getting a stable 48- 50 f.p.s seems the sweet spot with the card for this game. Feels faster as the frame rate is surprisingly consistant and stable.

Soldato
Yea, the engine they're using is clearly an aliasing-producing monster.

They need to provide either a sharpening slider or some more range in terms of presets. As it is, it's way too strong, but having it off, especially when using TAA(which is the only performance-compliant option) is not acceptable, either.

The main problem is that this game is just heavily, heavily aliasing-prone. Moreso than almost any game I've ever seen. Adding the strong sharpening filter certainly doesn't help.

Exactly, TAA is horrific for the blurring, to the point you need the sharpening to actually have somewhat decent looking image. It's also just too strong.

Hopefully similar to the Witcher 3, all these things will be patched in. They had a somewhat decent option for Sharpening. As off the game looked horrible, but on was also too sharp, until they added the extra step in-between.

Man of Honour
I dunno why people look to DX12 for performance increases (sure it is nice if it gives an increase at the same quality level) but it would be nicer to see it utilised to provide a significant increase in visual quality at the same performance level.

Soldato
Software takes a lot of time to mature, this is what beginnings look like. Also a consequence of having to do it as DX11 as well. Pure DX12 games will run much better.

Caporegime
I said in the other thread, and it's pertinent because of the game engine.

HITMAN in DX12 mode, had a lower frame rate than DX11 mode, but the DX12 mode just felt much smoother whilst playing the game.

Mankind Divided is based on the same Glacier 2 engine, so I'll give Mankind Divided a go tonight and see if I notice the same thing.

It's not always about frame rates....

(Of course I might find this isn't the case, but proof is in the pudding)

Associate
I got quite massive minimum fps inceases overall. Average and Max fps didn't really raise at all. Overall , a lot better perforamnce under DX12. Also stutters have "gone" (need more gametime to be sure) on my Fury X, and could even increase details.

Well DX12 certainly fixes all overhead problems from AMD driver on those streets. They were the real "big" issue. Only real problem that remains on all ultra now on my Fury X i s that 4GB of memory. This game really uses it a lot. AMD driver does use a bit over dynamic memory, but I feel they could use it even more. Well what do I know.

Here's the 2 pictures to give you idea about the overhead caused by DX11, and the lack of it at DX12: (DX12 pic is with a bit higher settings, and from a bit different location (but suffers from similiar overhead in dx11 that this comparable picture):

DX11, and AMD driver overhead:

Driver%20overhead%20causing%20low%20gpu%20usage_zpsynqowoat.png

DX12, no AMD driver to slow things down :

No%20more%20overhead%20problems._zps1iwcpiv6.png

Ps, take a look at ram usage of DX12 on ultra settings :)

Back
Top Bottom