No Windows 10 Anniversary Update from windows update

Soldato
According to one microsoft blog The Windows 10 Anniversary Update is being rolled out to Windows 10 PCs across the world in phases starting with the newer machines first. The blog said you don’t have to do anything to get the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

I purchased a copy of windows 10 home in december 2015 from a local retail store, it came in a sealed fancy box with a USB 3.0 flash drive inside and a product key. I have done many fresh installations since buying this copy, I usually secure erase the ssd and proceed with a fresh install. Never had a problem until recentley and several days ago, for whatever reason I can't get the anniversary update through windows 10 Settings/Update & Security/Check for updates, I get some updates but not the anniversary update. I had to search for windows update on the web for issues and came across a microsoft website and had to download and install Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant to get the anniversary update, have done this twice now so what's that all about?

I am deliberating moving from windows operating system to either linux or OS X, not really keen on the very expensive iMac though, I want one but Apple gear is so costly. Not that bothered about gaming but midi hardware and music production software is a must have, I wonder what linux is like for VST/DAW and general music production?

Associate
If you want to make sure this doesn't happen again in the future, then just download the windows media creation tool which will allow you to download the latest version of windows 10 and either put it on a USB drive or create an image that can be used to be burned to a disc (you'll have to download the tool after each major update as one version of the creation tool will only download that tools specific version of windows 10).

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

The update is rolling out in stages - your machine/windows key obviously hasn't been selected for the update yet. My main machine hasn't either but my ultrabook and kids machines have - I just grabbed the manual update for my main machine.

Don't worry about it.

Soldato
OP
If you want to make sure this doesn't happen again in the future, then just download the windows media creation tool which will allow you to download the latest version of windows 10 and either put it on a USB drive or create an image that can be used to be burned to a disc (you'll have to download the tool after each major update as one version of the creation tool will only download that tools specific version of windows 10).
I already have a USB retail copy of Windows 10 Home 64bit edition, when I first got it I had no problems installing as and when I chose to, it didn't matter how many times I did this and getting the updates through windows 10 was never a problem until just recentley.

Soldato
OP
The update is rolling out in stages - your machine/windows key obviously hasn't been selected for the update yet. My main machine hasn't either but my ultrabook and kids machines have - I just grabbed the manual update for my main machine.

Don't worry about it.
I did two fresh installs and got the 1607 version aka anniversary update through windows 10 previously but for some strange reason I have to go to a website to download the anniversary update now after a fresh install. All is ok I got the anniversary update through other means, it's just odd and random the way windows 10 updates now on my machine. Never come across this problem before.

Soldato
They are still fixing problems with Anniversary - look on Anniversary thread. / web
... so you could regret forcing it
.. .check whether other people with same system did not receive it either - as MS maybe doing it intentionally since they know drivers are not good
... after 10 days the windows.old gets removed I believe, and roll-back is difficult - to boot.

Soldato
You cna force the upgrade.
If it is not found within windows update as standard, then click show more, or more details where it speaks of the 'latest updates' this provides a weblink to the standalone anniversary update.
Install from there, should sort it.

Associate
My laptop got this update about a week ago through Windows Update but my desktop still hasn't. Both are running the exact same version of Win10 Pro x64. Is it still common for people to be waiting for the update? I'm not keen on forcing it by downloading the update, just wondering if it really could take months for this to be rolled out to everyone.

Associate
Yes it seems very random, my experience was:

1) HTPC worked fine via regular windows update
2) kids PC - needed a clean install via a USB, as the Anniversary update/media creation/windows update would always error.
3) desktop - I am avoiding a clean install for reliability reasons, but I get nothing in windows update, and while the media creation and anniversary update appear to install correctly, but I end up still on the same version..I have done this so many times now without luck I am just going to wait and see, or until I upgrade my PC significantly.

Windows eh.. tcha..

Associate
Associate
This update came through on my PC last night through Windows update. Took ages to install despite the SSD, and it broke my Creative sound card drivers which needed to be reinstalled. Other than that it seems fine, but I'm not sure I like the new settings for Windows Update. I'd like to have an option to only install updates / restart when I say so, but there's not much chance of that happening.

Associate
Got mine the other day went smooth on the laptop, it created a folder called windows old it's huge 27gb and 19gb on the disk ? had a message it was safe to delete on my desktop only had 2gb left on the ssd.

it went paired shaped from there :( pc would not boot up into windows properly had to wipe the disk reinstall windows 8.1 and then that would not let me update to win 10 the spinning icon looking for updates just kept on spinning no progress.

in the end had to use the media creation tool burn a windows 10 iso disk on my laptop, then used that to install on the desktop used the windows 8 key and that was accepted.

Back
Top Bottom