• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5 4690k (Haswell) running too hot? (100 Celsius)

Associate
OP
So I set everythign in the BIOS back to "Auto" (I guess this is the shipped stock settings, the suppliers had it clocked at an unstable 4.6ghz so dunno exactly what they changed) and already there's improvements. The benchmark hit 556 (530ish when clocked and super hot) and running Witcher 3 max everything kept all cores to a cooler but still sweltering 77-80 Celsius. Used to tun 91-94 Celsius. Path of Exile still hit 100 on one core and high 90s in the others, guessing that's just PoE for you though.

Next step is the big clean!

Then the overclocking again.. but I'm not really sure what else to change other than the "Sync all cores" and hit that back up to 46 and see if it handles it. Interestingly I synced all cores to 35 thinking if I forced 3.5ghz it would be most ideal, but it ran similar 530ish on the benchmark with high temps.

Soldato
So I set everythign in the BIOS back to "Auto" (I guess this is the shipped stock settings, the suppliers had it clocked at an unstable 4.6ghz so dunno exactly what they changed) and already there's improvements. The benchmark hit 556 (530ish when clocked and super hot) and running Witcher 3 max everything kept all cores to a cooler but still sweltering 77-80 Celsius. Used to tun 91-94 Celsius. Path of Exile still hit 100 on one core and high 90s in the others, guessing that's just PoE for you though.

Next step is the big clean!

Then the overclocking again.. but I'm not really sure what else to change other than the "Sync all cores" and hit that back up to 46 and see if it handles it. Interestingly I synced all cores to 35 thinking if I forced 3.5ghz it would be most ideal, but it ran similar 530ish on the benchmark with high temps.

Glad to hear you are getting somewhere.

Well, I would recommend you do some research and overclock manually if you want to put an over clock back on it (assuming you get enough thermal headroom to allow you to do so after cleaning) rather than pressing an "auto overclock" button in your BIOS, otherwise you will be back to where you were before.

Or you could always just not bother for a bit, I mean the devils canyon chips are pretty well clocked at stock anyway.

For what its worth, 4.6GHz is a fairly ambitious overclock. That's a very top of what many chips can achieve.

Associate
I'd still be interested to know what vcore is being pumped through that CPU when working hard.... Some motherboards did over volt the devil canyon refresh CPU's and had to have a bios flash to fix 'em. What motherboard do you have?

Associate
OP
Going to find out if/how I can get a report or plot of the voltages and temps with CoreTemp.

The motherboarrd is an Asus Z97-K socket 1150. First mobo I've had with an easy to navigate BIOS.

Associate
I just use hwmonitor - it gives you now/lowest/highest values . So you can run the programme and then go and run something intensive and it will tell you what the higheest voltages, temps were etc

Associate
OP
Just eyeballing the monitor now - again everything on auto and it kicks up the CPU to 3.9ghz with a VID of 1.2019 volts. Just numbers to me, that high I'm guessing?

Associate
erm, that seems a bit more than it could be. but still low compared to mine hehe.

doubt its the reason for it being so hot. is the i5 as bad as the i7 haswell with regards to the general crappy TIM intel used between the die and heatspreader? if so, regardless of the cooler, the temps will be high. (not that high though!)

Associate
that's not terrible actually. When it kicks up to 3.9 is that one, two, or all 4 cores?

I have a i7 4790K on an Asus Vii Ranger - at default settings the motherboard put 1.280 volts though my CPU but boosted all cores to 4.4G - which is actually out of spec for the CPU. The boost spec for my cpu should be:

1 core ratio limit: 44
2 core ratio limit: 44
3 core ratio limit: 43
4 core ratio limit: 42

When I change my settings to this the vcore reduces and the temps drops (I've actually turned boost off now so the max my cpu will go to is 4G on all cores - my vcore is 1.078 and my temps are low 60's on load).

so I would expect something similar for your i5:

1 core ratio limit: 39
2 core ratio limit: 39
3 core ratio limit: 38
4 core ratio limit: 37

But worth checking, as I may be totally wrong about your CPU :)

As I say 1.20 doesn't feel particularly high though. Out of interest, if you turn off turbo boost so that it only runs at 3.5G what vid (vcore) does it pull and does it reduce the overall temp? If the voltage drops and the temp doesn't then it's a cooling issue i'd suggest.

Cheers

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Finally got round to doing it, although I don't know if it will actually make a difference. Nothing seemed catastrophically out of place, fins clear and not that dusty on the inside (makes a huge difference not having a cat).

ZQ05sBe.jpg
[/IMG]
wZFHKIa.jpg
ZBq5DaG.jpg

Associate
OP
Ok well whatever I did has seemed to make an instant difference. At the mo everything is on "auto" mode via the BIOS and the CPU will hit 3.8ghz. Pre-clean Witcher 3 would run in the high 70's, low 80's, and right now its mid-high 30's. I know this is only a 30 second observation but good jesus I wasn't expecting it to actually work (*any* upgrade/tweak I've done myself in the past 18 years has ended up causing me grief).

So I guess setting up the overclock is next on the menu :D

Associate
What you did was clean that dust out. You say it didn't look bad, but that's a huge amount of dust. it would have been completely blocking the airflow of the fan and effectively making you passively cooled. What the inside or back of the fins look like is unimportant of the surface facing the fan is completed caked like that image shows. I'd definitely make a plan to give that semi regular check a couple of times a year if your getting build up like that to avoid it getting so hot in the future :)

Associate
OP
Ah fair enough. As it was only a millimetre or so coating the front part I didn't think much of it. Half a cat gone from the fins now though :D

So just tried the shipped settings (4.6ghz) and it didn't like it - usual hanging on desktop. Reverted to the adjusted stable 4.2ghz I've had it at for years and the benchmark went up to 609 (535 previously, temperature throttling) with cores hitting 68-74 Celsius. So that's, what, about a 15% performance bump?

Never done much with overclocking before, infact the last time I tired was adjusting jumpers on a pentium 2... Guessing I can get more out of it by manually adjusting voltages and bits and pieces. But I'll do some homework first.

Right now, I'm a happy chappy :D Thanks for all the input and advice people :)

Soldato
Holy cow all that dust! Always clean your gear, if you don't want to do it only once a year invest in plenty of dust filters and you should be good to go but keep an eye on everything.

Associate
OP
Got her up to 4.4ghz now, temps in the low 70's gradually increasing under load to low 80's. Benchmark hitting 671 reliably now, instead of the old 520-530 at 100 Celsius.

Good times

Associate
that heatsink was completely blocked. it wasnt because of a cat, its just normal dust.
cpu and gfx card heatsinks in pc thats running a lot need to be cleaned about once a year.

Back
Top Bottom