Gaming on 1-2.5mb

HAz

HAz

Soldato
One of my main regrets was moving to and buying a house that has slow internet. For me its one of the reasons I will sell up and move to a different area. Also my mum lives in the sticks and they get FTCC uptp 80 meg, so its possible.

HAz

HAz

Soldato
Oh and people saying you can game fine? well no you cant, not if you have a family!
You charge your phone and it backs up on wifi! boom 1000 ping, the kids are on netflix! 1000 ping! are you going to tell them they cant watch that cartoon? oh and on demand stuff on sky you might aswell not bother!

I rarely play any MP stuff cus i get into a good game and then my partner is uploading a snap chat and my ping is 1000 for 2 minutes.

Soldato
Disagree I moved house and went from Virgin 150/10 to sky 80/20 and apart from downloads taking twice has long its hardly torture, matter of a fact my pings and latency is better on sky fibre than Virgin and get lower pings vs my friends on same server and they are on Virgin.

The biggest issue OP will face is others using the Internet while playing games it's horrible I had too wait almost two months before this house got fibre connected and I was using sky basic connection it was fine playing online only streaming was horrible.

I meant going from an 100Mbps connection to a measly less than 10Mbps.

I wouldn't even settle for less than 50Mbps.

Trust me OP, you will regret it. Especially if you and your son like to use it at the same time.

Internet is just as important as water, gas and electric.

Choose wisely! :)

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I went from 2 to 80 with fibre and I would never go back, I used to keep the pc on all night to download stuff, now speeds are great the pc gets switched off when I go to bed.

Associate
If you can man it out for a few years chances are you will get fiber eventually
BT are currently installing FTTP on lines too long to benefit from FTTC
Universal service obligation will come into force soon guaranteeing you at least 10Mb

We have struggled with 1Mb for years with no hope of FTTC and are due to get FTTP in the next few months
Look into BT's community fiber program
There are ways to get fibre if you really want it

Good luck

Associate
Lol I can believe it, it sounds absolutely ridiculous buying a house around the broadband, but it's a "thing" we all use a lot, it's like saying no TV or cups of tea for some people.

Not ridiculous at all...in fact, its one of the first questions Estate Agents and Vendors get asked these days and people will literally not buy a place if the broadband is poor...ive just gone from a Flat that had 4mb ADSL line to my new house, which was built with Fibre line directly into the House and now I've got 300mb sub 10ms pings on online games, I cant believe I ever lived with ADSL for 5 years.

When selling my flat I had a fair few people ask me what the internet connection was like and after telling them it wasn't great, they mentioned that would be an issue and didn't hear anything from them....big part of peoples lives.

Soldato
Your son and you wife will hate you. We specifically did not move to a house we were interested in because the internet was so poor. Simply no excuse for terrible speeds these days.

Caporegime
Yeah Sky are horrible at peak times when downloading etc, or if you Torrent. Even Social Media traffic they mess with I believe! VPN made it all go away and get constant max speeds...

Sky don't traffic shape, throttle or any other method of reducing or controlling what you do on the Internet. Unless you're on broadband connect. Which they've stopped selling for new customers.

Have you thought about getting another line installed, purely for your gaming? Sure there's a cost, and two lots of line rental, but it would mean exclusivity for your gaming?

Associate
When I purchased my recent place, I made sure I could get at least Virgin but I do work from home so fast download/upload is a requirement on my part.

5982666920.png

Soldato
Sky don't traffic shape, throttle or any other method of reducing or controlling what you do on the Internet. Unless you're on broadband connect. Which they've stopped selling for new customers.

Have you thought about getting another line installed, purely for your gaming? Sure there's a cost, and two lots of line rental, but it would mean exclusivity for your gaming?

This. Sky fibre never throttle network speed.
Virgin on the other hand do but that depends on the area and how meny people are connected.

Man of Honour
Being in the middle of nowhere, your latency will likely be the bigger obstacle - for first person shooters anyway.

The UK is so small that location isn't all that important with regard to latency. The difference between London and Scotland is maybe 10-15ms at worst, and he's already in Lincolnshire so I can't see that having a big impact. In terms of actual line length that will make very little difference to latency unless it causes a more fundamental problem.

I think the problem is likely to be contention, i.e. 1-2.5mb dedicated is fine for gaming but if you are having to compete with others in the family using the internet at the same time then it could cause spikes.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
The UK is so small that location isn't all that important with regard to latency. The difference between London and Scotland is maybe 10-15ms at worst, and he's already in Lincolnshire so I can't see that having a big impact. In terms of actual line length that will make very little difference to latency unless it causes a more fundamental problem.

I think the problem is likely to be contention, i.e. 1-2.5mb dedicated is fine for gaming but if you are having to compete with others in the family using the internet at the same time then it could cause spikes.

I was inferring the contention as opposed to distance related latency, I wasn't very clear. If someone so much as loads a webpage you'll see a short spike in latency on a connection at this speed - speaking from first hand experience!

Back
Top Bottom