• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Polaris RX 480 Owners Thread.

Associate
Slower and more expensive 1060's will still outsell it 3:1, cause NVIDIA!...

RX480's are cracking cards, they really should have got AMD more market share than they did.

Yeah it's a real shame too, as the 480 really is the better card.

I'd be all over this deal myself if I wasn't waiting for Vega and with it (hopefully) being so close.

Associate
Well, after some considerable thought, and hour and hours of research (1060 6gb v 480 8gb), I've gone and hit the button and bought myself a 480 Nitro+ OC 8gb (B Grade) form OcUK. Hopefully, this will be a decent upgrade from my Vapor-X 7950. Should I feel guilty for spending £209.99? (my budget was £180)

Soldato
The problem is they got slated by reviewers on release and had a slow start. But after a few updates they are the better card now. The 480 continues to improve, but the 1060 stood still since launch.

Associate
Well, my new card arrived. Fair enough, it's a *B* Grade item (£209.99) but I was sooooo looking forward to opening the original box, instead I was greeted with this......(obviously not OcUK's fault)

.Not sure if this is why it was *B* Grade or not but the back plate looks a bit bent.

pic upload

Caporegime
RX480's are cracking cards, they really should have got AMD more market share than they did.

Their release day drivers letting them down yet again, wasn't much faster than the 970 on release, so everyone bought the much better 1060 when that came out, now its the better card, when its too late, same happened with the FuryX, but hopefully they've wised up now, and the same fate wont befall Vega.

Associate
OK , back home now. Will attempt to see if the 480 works or not shortly. Have just had a closer look at the backplate and it looks like its been dropped on its corner or something has hit as the 'plate is slightly pushing up against the PCB.

As i said before, it could be why it's a *B* Grade or its been damaged in transit.

**P.S. Excuse the potato photos.....

upload pictures online privately

Associate
Their release day drivers letting them down yet again, wasn't much faster than the 970 on release, so everyone bought the much better 1060 when that came out, now its the better card, when its too late, same happened with the FuryX, but hopefully they've wised up now, and the same fate wont befall Vega.

Hopefully not, I'm sure I read in a recent article that around 80% of AMD software developers are currently writing Vega drivers.

Associate
Well, managed to get the card installed, all I had to do was loosen the mobo and slide it back about 10mm to get the card to dip under the back of case (see pic). Was worried the the card was dead after seeing the state of the box it was delivered in and the damage to the backplate (pics above), but it works and so far, I'm well impressed with performance compared to my 7950. Glad I didn't buy the 1060....

upload your pic

Associate
yeah, DPD delivered, and yes, they're normally quite good tho it's 2nd time it's happened in a few years (SSD 2012). The card was just in an anti-static bag with bubble bags inside the brown box so the damage to the 480 could've been done because of this or it's the reason why it's a *B* Grade. Who knows. I'll take the back plate off and try and bend it back into shape. If I can be bothered to take it back out again that is.

Soldato
I wouldnt accept this even if it was a b grade unless it was written in clear letters on the product page. B grade, or DEMO as they like to call it here in Denmark, usually means cosmetic damages only and/or missing original packaging. A card that is bent like that I would argue does not fit into that category.

By the looks of the shipping package, looks like the shipping company ffed up.

Associate
It's definitely *B* Grade but as it states on the page....

"B Grade items may have been used, have damaged packaging, missing accessories or a combination of these.
Some items may have scuff marks or slight scratches but should otherwise be an operable product."

The box was most definitely damaged during transit. OcUK would never send a package out looking like that.

I can live without box and accessories tbh (thought a box, even a damaged one, would've been nice). The card works, which is always good, but it has more that just a scuff (A bent back plate in 2 places and slightly scuffed PCB). Not sure what to do. I may get in contact with Customer Services tomorrow and see what my options are.

Back
Top Bottom