• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
LL

Looks interesting!

Quite annoying not knowing just how these things will change performance - I've got the funds waiting :(

Soldato
I'd hope so, Once all the teething issues are ironed out I imagine the gaming results will be a lot better, I was watching a Fallout 4 video on U-tube with side by side runs using a 3570k, 1700x and a 6700k all at 4.0ghz. Watching the cores and overall cpu usage you could see half of Ryzens threads were barely touched and while the Intels had a fairly even spread on Ryzen one of cores was at 67% while the next best was at 30% with the rest dropping from there and as i said half had single figure percentages so overall the Intels where at around 50% usage overall while the 1700x was at around 26% usage. Once it's balanced out and working as it should be I imagine it'll give the 6700k a run for it's money even with the 6700 having higher clocks rsather than a down clock or turbo off.

I am running large settlements,and with mods,and one thread of my Xeon E3 1230 V2 is pegged at 70% to 80% usage. The others have far less usage.

To put in context a Core i3 7350K is faster than my IB Core i7 in the game.

Its behaviour which was seen even on Intel CPUs at launch:

http://www.gamegpu.com/images/stories/Test_GPU/RPG/Fallout_4/test/intel.jpg

1KyfQ0D.jpg

Look at the Core i7 5960X - it has the same problem.

Now look at some forum testing done with a 4GHZ R7 1700.

Default Win = 47,5fps.
HT ON + one CCX active = 49fps.
HT OFF + one CCX active = 50fps.

So running only 4 cores with 4 cores deactivated and no SMT improved performance.

Other CPUs tested on the forum using the same save:

6700k 4.5Ghz 3Ghz ddr4 80Fps
xeon 4030Mhz 2120DDR3 59Fps
2600k 4500mhz DDR3 1600mhz 54fps.

Broadwell server CPU at 2.5GHZ~3.3GHZ 58FPS

Area tested:Boston Commons

Apparently the engine loves memory bandwidth,and is why an overclocked SKL/KL CPU does so well in the game,so if Ryzen can start supporting higher speed RAM better,that is where the biggest improvement will be.

However,Bethesda are really taking the **** with even using it for FO4 - Creation is based on this engine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo

The original version of the engine came out in 1991 and Bethesda have been using it since 2002 in The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

Last edited:
Soldato
How? adoredtv only quoted results from computerbase... so you and this guy are trying to say Computerbase tests got owned? Would still trust them more

lol what, it's adored TV making the claims and he just got debunked on youtube, servers him right for plundering others benchmarks without doing his own research.

Associate
And it's forbidden on YT to link others benchmarks? lol Maybe he doens't play expert like other YT stars and actually quotes professional benchmarks?

Soldato
So despite PCpers article on the scheduler where they state the following:
That's the bit of information we were after and it validates that Windows 10 is correctly enumerating the core structure of Ryzen and thus the scheduling comparisons we made above are 100% accurate. Windows 10 does not have a scheduling conflict on Ryzen processors.
Only to then do a little bit more testing, and find oh that the scheduler is not handling Ryzen correctly, because it's still spilling workloads into the second CCX when it's not supposed to.

5d6bf457c6084db9bd19638c519f79c2.png

They now have this video where they conclude; the scheduler needs to be aware of the two CCXs..because at the moment it's not....
So what needs to be done? Well the Windows 10 Scheduler still need to be "fixed" so it can actually work correctly with Ryzen.

Conclusion at 26:23
https://youtu.be/6laL-_hiAK0?t=26m23s

The thing is though, despite this issue, the only part where Ryzen falls behind Intel is in gaming, and many people and some sites are finding that if you disable one CCX, aka turning it into a 4c/8t CPU; that at clock for clock it's closed the gape with Kabylake in gaming.

As we all know, Ryzen is extremely powerful and has great IPC; it's seen in every workload. Everything but gaming; and it means once this issue is addressed Ryzen will be competitive in all scenarios.
Ignoring that the 6 and 4 core R5 line is still to come as well.

Another thing that still needs to be addressed is the motherboard issue. It's been seen that the "Infinity Fabric" runs at 1/2 RAM speeds. So the faster your RAM, the faster the interconnect between CCXs. Which in turn boosts performance even further.

So motherboard manufacturers still need to get that sort. So if you're buying a Ryzen system at the moment, do make sure to get up to atleast 3200Mhz RAM. It'll work eventually, and it'll be well worth it.

On a side note: this whole RAM speed issue and buggy motherboards brings back memories of the x99 launch. Took mobo makers a while to get that all sorted, and all the other bugs.

Last edited:
Soldato
lol what, it's adored TV making the claims and he just got debunked on youtube, servers him right for plundering others benchmarks without doing his own research.

Yeah sorry he has taken a very well known and trusted site and used their figures to show something and provide information. For you to suggest he is in the wrong when all he has done is research all the info and provide a conclusion from the figures provided is no problem.

His research was using a credible source the same as we do when we read everything on here or there or the clip you linked. They are only what we can see or show.

Soldato
Maybe it's similar to games releases where because of how complicated todays games are are they need masses of feedback to get everything working right.

there is a tendency to do that as you can basically work on things to long without really knowing if its ready for launch.
star citizen may be different tho :)

New launch its why I wait for all to settle down with hardware and software with bios, mikrocode before buying Ryzen

Soldato
It makes you wonder why they didn't just launch it later!! :p
In fairness you could say the exact same about the Radeon HD7000 series. When it launched the flagship HD7970 could barely keep up with the GTX670, but after all the patches, firmware updates, etc it was closer to the GTX780 than the GTX680 (which was now being dueled by the HD7950)

Back
Top Bottom