• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
OP
^^

You crazy bro :p

Up to 16GB HBM, 16 CPU cores with updated graphics architecture. This APU looks like a monster !

The CPU's will no doubt be impressive as well, but this APU looks awesome if spec is legit.

Soldato
OP
I can only assume that the specs listed are the theoretical best the architecture can do and not an actual chip, as why on earth would anyone need an APU with a 16GB on board video memory and the ability to access 1TB of ram, let alone any of the server stuff, not forgetting that server chips don't need an on board GPU.

The specs have potential though, with some nice ideas if they can pull it all off.

Exactly.

This would likely represent a full spec server/commercial part rather than a consumer APU.

This gives us an idea of what the architecture is capable of though.

I would expect 6/8 core CPU with upgraded GPU and 2GB/4GB+ HBM for consumer though. This could be seriously impressive and truly provide a good gaming experience without the need for a dedicated GPU. AMD's hard work with fusion could really pay off when this lands. I will put something together with an APU like this for sure.

Soldato
OP
Rumors suggest AMD is eyeing a comeback with its new 16-core chip

We all know by this point that AMD has been fighting an uphill battle over the past few years. The company has struggled to stay relevant with consumers as Intel continues to dominate nearly every sector of the market. AMD is barely keeping pace with its rival’s massive R&D budget, and it shows in the chips it offers. Very few are a competitive value, and none can challenge Intel’s quickest.

But, despite seventeen-or-so lackluster sales quarters in a row, AMD may finally be primed to turn their luck around – if a leaked slide acquired by Fudzilla is to be believed.
If you’re in the position like AMD’s been in lately, go big or go out of business are the only options.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...back-with-its-new-16-core-chip/#ixzz3XJpp8IK0

Soldato
OP
If you look close one might see that those slides are camera phone pics of a large screen presentation, there is a date of February 2015 on one.

If its fake its a fairly elaborate one, it has all the hallmarks of a member of an audience sneaking phone pics of the presentation out.

It may have been a private presentation of some kind, like an investors event, 'someone' from AMD may have invited one or two press along for the event to 'accidentally leak' some of it.

I hope it's legit. This likely max chip spec, consumer chip could see 6/8 core CPU with decent IGPU with HBM.

I would def put a system together with an APU like that and some fast DDR4, make a great all in one Mini-ITX.

Soldato
OP
For desktop i'm thinking 10 cores 20 threads, they have done 8.

Not done 8 on APU. 8 core / 16 thread APU with decent IGPU + HBM I would be more than happy with.

CPU only i.e new FX series will likely be 10/20 - 12/24+ thread @ High end..

This is all hypothetical of course as we don't know this is legit :p

Anyways give me a 6/8core APU with decent graphics and I'll move to all in one APU build. Low power decent performance and quiet. Would be perfect for Mini-ITX.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I don't think we will be seeing CPU's in the tradition sense like the FX series again.

Even Intel don't make CPU's like that anymore and haven't for years
, the Core series CPU's are more APU than CPU.

Eh? Haswell -E says hello :)

I'm sure we'll see CPU only from AMD along side APU. Even if it's just APU with graphics removed.

10/12 core CPU only. 6/8 core APU with graphics would be my guess for consumer in 2016.

I'm looking forward to AMD's new APU's more than their GPU's tbh. Wanted to move to an all in one for ages. Hopefully with HBM and new architecture the performance is there not like in current APU's.

Soldato
OP
I have zero interest in APUs, I wish they would just give up and stop wasting die space.

Looking forward to the day I no longer need DGPU for gaming, 1 APU and 1 AIO fan would be perfect. Silent and low power, yes plz.

Hope AMD gets this right. Probably have to wait until Q4 2016 to find out :p

Soldato
OP
So, you're expecting to buy an APU that has the same performance as the discrete GPU's of the time?

Yeah, it's not happening, like ever.

You said that not me :p, I see your first question was obviously baiting so you could follow up with that ha.

Obviously an APU won't be able to match a Titan launched in the same year. What an APU should be able to do is provide a good gaming experience, and using a single chip will require less cooling and use less power than a traditional setup. This def appeals to me.

Really the only thing holding back even current APU's from 2014 is bandwidth.

If HBM can solve this problem, and a die shrink plus architecture improvements allows for more cores, we should see gaming capable APU's sooner rather than later..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You say this appeals to you, but your buying habits and rigs you run disagrees with that :p?

I'm not knocking or flaming or baiting or any of that crap, just your stance has me genuinely puzzled....

I think an APU that has a midrange gpu could be decent for some of the lower end pc's I've done. Although so far, I've never really found an APU to offer the best performance given slightly hhigher budget would let me do a better discrete gpu. But here is hoping.

Well the APU's just aren't there yet. When they are I'll buy one lol.

Consider it watching the APU space with interest, an all in one APU that can game def appeals to me. Less power use / Less to cool etc run quieter. I hope AMD gets it right next year.

Soldato
OP
The next generation Opteron has 32 Zen x86 cores

No APU, 16MB L2, 64MB L3 cache

We recently showed you a new 16 Zen core next generation processor with Greenland integrated graphics and DDR4 support.

This part definitely sounds interesting but we got an update on the 2016 Opteron server market parts. The next generation Opteron won't have an integrated graphics part but it will have up to 32 Zen x86 cores with 64-thread support. Unlike the highest end compute HSA part that comes with Greenland HBM graphics, the next generation Opteron doesn't have any integrated graphics. The Opteron needs all the silicon space for the L2, L3 cache as well as its Zen x86 cores.

http://fudzilla.com/news/processors/37564-the-next-generation-opteron-has-32-zen-x86-cores

Soldato
OP
As long as AMD can offer me a CPU that's an all around upgrade in terms of performance over my current CPU, then I'd jump on it.

Unfortunately AMD haven't offered me that for like half a decade :p

+1

I really don't think they can afford to launch a flop this time around. I'm expecting the new CPU's / APU's in 2016 to be a worthwhile purchase.

Only problem is there isn't much in the meantime, Carrizo etc don't look that impressive VS Intel. I think if the 2016 chips are good enough AMD will re take a lot of market share. A lot of us like yourself are waiting for AMD to give us something worthwhile and then they will get the sales..

Soldato
OP
Fully agree. Intel is steadily improving their CPU's every generation, which simply further highlights the night and day difference between AMD/Intel.

I also find it quite amusing that some believe Zen is going to equalize or surpass Intel's performance, and even that Zen will come sooner than expected....

It's almost certain that Intel will have released Cannonlake (die shrink of Skylake) and Skylake-E by the time Zen arrives. Goodluck competing with 10nm.

I don't think that everyone knows how far behind AMD really are.

Intel is barely improving between each generation.

Skylake Skydozer (As Orangey calls it) looks pretty woeful, another gen with virtually no performance increase, but need to buy new mobo and memory to run it.

We all need to hope AMD can compete with their new architecture, because if they don't Intel can just keep coasting and releasing 2% - 5% upgrades each year and reinforcing their price points without really giving us anything new..

CPU space is the most boring it's ever been. I really hope AMD can comeback strong. Things need a shakeup..

Soldato
OP
I was with AMD a couple of days back & I have seem their plans & Roadmap

They will be fine - plus I expect Jim Keller & his Team to pull something nice together

Yeah Jim Keller was there back in the day when AMD were a force. I've got faith that whatever is coming next will be night and day improvement over the Bulldozer architecture and it's offspring :p

Back
Top Bottom