Poll: Australian Grand Prix 2017, Melbourne - Race 1/20

Rate the race: 2017 Australian Grand Prix

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
Haas looking good, Torro Rosso also. Nice to see the front row with two different cars on it for the first time in what feels like ages. Hopefully we will have a good race. Will have to avoid all aspects of social media and news websites all day tomorrow, working 8-6. :(

Caporegime
Just finished watching Quali, I wonder, looking at Vettel examining each car closely, if they've ever given a driver a small digital camera to take pictures?

Soldato
Just finished watching Quali, I wonder, looking at Vettel examining each car closely, if they've ever given a driver a small digital camera to take pictures?
He might have had a small one in his helmet. :p

Hamilton was doing the same, walking the wrong way up the pitlane to examine the other cars, but he was persuaded away easier than Vettel.

I found it more interesting that Vettel was touching the cars themselves, feeling (for heat?) the gaps in the front of the sidepods.

Soldato
I wonder how much faster the merc and RB would've been with their fancy suspensions? I also thought the cars were going to be much quicker? Turns out they are 1.7 quicker than last year rather than the 3.0 everyone was banging on about.

Soldato
some surprises for me at least

1. Ferrari have closed the gap and solid podium contenders - still behind Mercedes by a few tenth but within reach it would seem. let's see if this holds true with race pace and on other curcuits. but we could be in for a possible fight. I am hopeful for some good battles.

2. Red Bull seems disappointing, but solid 3rd place constructors'. unlucky for Ricciardo once again at home grand prix

3. underwhelming quali performance from new blood and young drivers
- Ocon and Vandoorne about 1 sec behind team mate. not stellar and need to close the gap to within half a second or better
- Palmer, Magnussen and Stroll are ridiculously off the pace and quite worrying if this continues in next races. the gaps are quite big and maybe F1 is not for them

4. Renault seems to have improved and seems more competitive and on par with Force India / Toro Rosso / Williams. not where a constructor wants to be, but a definite step up from last year ( a cynic may say they were so bad they could only get better). still quite a gap to overcome to become serious podium contender, need to see how they improve over the season. they need to aim for 4th in constructors this year (Palmer needs to step up or bow out). fight for several podiums and a couple of race wins next year before a title run in 2019.

5. McLaren - no sign of improvement. something radical needs to happen, this poor/lack of performance has lasted too long.

6. Kudos to Giovinazzi - very good for someone dropped in the deep end. Ericsson and Wehrlein may have some sleepless nights.

ofc this is just based on a first quali to a long season

my 2 cents

Last edited:
Soldato
Not a bad qualiy session.

Hulkenberg must be pleased. Looks like the Renault is on par with the Force India, and will likely be faster later in the season when FI can't develop the car as fast and Merc are slow handing them upgraded engines.

Stroll reminds me of my gimbal when I first turn it on without anything attached. I'm surprised Sky haven't done a comparison between his steering input vs. Massa. It's obscene.

Start should be interesting tomorrow. Ferraris are known for their good starts and their race pace. It could also be a little warmer which will help them.

Better set my alarm.

Caporegime
My brain says, however meh you might think Kmag and Palmer are, they aren't 2-3 seconds down on their team mates bad, not even close. SO the cars are having trouble, Kmag probably had some kind of engine issues, Palmer may have had a rebuild the car and something wasn't done right issue.

If you take the second Williams, Haas and Renault cars and put them within 1-2/10ths of their sister cars, then Mclaren are absolutely freaking no where. A lot of people saying Mclaren aren't as bad as everyone thought, but realistically you've got at least three significantly faster cars with various problems pushing Alonso 3 places up the grid. Mclaren are only faster than Sauber but Sauber look to have improved a fair bit compared to testing and they are still running last years engine so they should be a 0.5-1seconds off the back of everyone else.

We'll have to see what happens over the next few races. I do think it's simply possible that some of these drivers haven't ever driven a car with this level of downforce and it will take time to build the confidence to throw it into corners. At Barcelona you have very few corners that basically go straight into walls so confidence at such a track would take longer than at Barcelona. We could see some drivers just being dire in these cars and being replaced before coming back to Barcelona. If guys continued to be well over a second down on their team mates(I'm presuming it will close compared to where it is now) then the teams would have to think about replacing them.

When it comes to Hamilton and Merc vs Ferrari, I think Hamilton is the biggest difference between Merc and Ferrari in that result. Hamilton is simply insane at pulling out 2-3/10ths on his other driver, with bottas and Rosberg being very good qualifiers but Hamilton just being that next level completely. The gap between Bottas and Vettel makes me think that at least in australia, there is sub 1/10th in speed between the two cars.

Merc's strength in the past three years has been an incredibly consistent car, equally excellent at high/low downforce tracks. Ferrari's is much more of a concept change in overall design so I can see it being both harder to set up for each track and has more potential to be a little inconsistent, great at some tracks, less good at others. Ferrari may have hit it out of the park and it's great everywhere which would bode very well for the whole season.

Also possible Merc with the ultra long wheelbase may find they are a little less consistent at different types of track. Will be interesting to see, definitely good to see Ferrari looking this close in the first race of a very new aero concept.

Caporegime
The question is, will the Merc be the same as last season? Excellent in clear air but less so following another car? If Vettel can get in front and get a gap, it could be interesting.

Caporegime
I reckon he might be taking a little holiday after the first few European races if McLaren haven't eaten into that 3 second gap.

It would be a stupid move for him. For a top team, giving Alonso-whose-being-sitting-on-his-arse-being-grumpy a top seat makes far less sense than giving Alonso-who-has-up-to-date-racing-experience a seat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom